V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FXSTBI
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some very critical research some closer than expected! Oil on my clothes and bike to prove it! It seems that the myth of not having to worry about the bottom end when building a sub 130 HP motor is just that! A myth! After extensive talks to one of our resident experts (no name mentioned), scouring the Internet from top to bottom reading all the "Damn! I wish I would have done it while it was apart" comments on multiple forums. Those of you who have done some minor engine mods to the top end may want to look at beefing the bottom-end up this Winter. Or! Baby your modified motor as if it were stock like I do! I've included a couple of sites of interest:
http://www.balancemasters.com/motorcycles/index.html
http://www.gregcoenmc.com/partsdept.html

And the one I will be using by recommendation from Zippers and previously unmentioned source:
http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com

Some suggested bottom end fixes that should keep you up and running;
Timkin Bearings
Fueling Cam Plate
Fueling oil pump
Zippers inner primary bearing and seal
Zippers clutch Hub seal

Remember I'm only posting this because if I hadn't personally cleaned up the the massive OIL Spill (from unnamed source) we could have been facing large EPA infractions similar to the Exxon Valdez.

Confucius says: When following "Unnamed source" wear heavy white absorbent clothing and practice your oil-slick riding techniques!

·
Registered
886 Posts

...yet another reason why I should avoid any mods on my bike.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Timmy_D said:

...yet another reason why I should avoid any mods on my bike.
Tim...(sorry Jerry) but that's a line of crap...you don't have to go nuts and most with mild builds have no issues with their bikes at all...I'd like to see a list of folks with stock bikes with the same issues...seems like there may be similar numbers...I have 43,000 miles on my motor (I run the crap out of it) and the only complaint with this build was the heads...that was the fault of the vendor

Might wanna ask Jerry how his engine is holding up :D and he built a lot more radical than the rest of us!

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I read conflicting information about the Fueling cam plate and pump. One thing RC mentioned about the Fueling pump was something (not sure the detail, but I understood the concept) about a drilled oil passage on the pressure side that creates problems at a 90* turn. Apparently they drill from two sides and meet in the middle.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
PR3VS56 said:
I read conflicting information about the Fueling cam plate and pump. One thing RC mentioned about the Fueling pump was something (not sure the detail, but I understood the concept) about a drilled oil passage on the pressure side that creates problems at a 90* turn. Apparently they drill from two sides and meet in the middle.
The Delkron cam plate has some issues as well...one of our riding buddies bought one on the suggestion of a "builder" and it turned out his plate had misaligned oil passages and almost cooked his engine...not all the "best" parts are better...

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Tim...(sorry Jerry) but that's a line of crap...you don't have to go nuts and most with mild builds have no issues with their bikes at all...I'd like to see a list of folks with stock bikes with the same issues...seems like there may be similar numbers...I have 43,000 miles on my motor (I run the crap out of it) and the only complaint with this build was the heads...that was the fault of the vendor
Yea, but John, you have a wimpy little build and you ride with your wife....

:hystria:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
Yea, but John, you have a wimpy little build and you ride with your wife....

:hystria:
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: got the same build as you...now as for my financier...er wife...

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: got the same build as you...now as for my financier...er wife...
Hey c'mon, I know I've got a wimpy build. I'm always workin' hard to keep up with you when we ride!

:yes:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
Hey c'mon, I know I've got a wimpy build. I'm always workin' hard to keep up with you when we ride!

:yes:
Musta had a good tail wind when I last saw you and Doug out in front of me about a 1/4 of a mile :D...

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Musta had a good tail wind when I last saw you and Doug out in front of me about a 1/4 of a mile :D...
That was all Doug!!!!

He brings out the worst in us!!

He must be the one who really needs to rebuild his bottom end!

=devil=

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
That was all Doug!!!!

He brings out the worst in us!!

He must be the one who really needs to rebuild his bottom end!

=devil=
As I have said before....It's always easier to blame the one who is not around. BTW, so far my bottom end is holding up just fine. I have noticed some oil between front head and cylinder so I may need to replace the gasket. Have not noticed any other problems just yet. I just had the bike tuned but on a SuperFlo this time and the numbers were the same as on the DynoJet. I'd look into Jerry's recommendations but I don't have a winter here. I have not even been able to really ride the crap out of it here. I guess I just don't want to scare these SoCal folks (8-Ball, Gordito and the gang).

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
DNLEVESQUE said:
As I have said before....It's always easier to blame the one who is not around. BTW, so far my bottom end is holding up just fine.
You tell em Doug! :hystria:

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
DNLEVESQUE said:
As I have said before.... ...so far my bottom end is holding up just fine.

I guess I just don't want to scare these SoCal folks (8-Ball, Gordito and the gang).

Sounds like a personal problem from hanging around those SoCal types! What in the world are those boys doing to you out there Doug????

Sounds like you may need to come home to the Right Coast, so you can ride with some real Double D's again!!

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
Sounds like a personal problem from hanging around those SoCal types! What in the world are those boys doing to you out there Doug????

Sounds like you may need to come home to the Right Coast, so you can ride with some real Double D's again!!
I'm looking forward to getting back out there to ride with the DD's again but these guys are great. You all should know 8 by now since his visit last month but he's been breaking in the White Rhyno and well Gordito has been riding his other bike. As for me taking it easy, my spokes on the rear wheel are loose again and I did tighten them some but I think I'm gonna get some solid wheels like your old ones and maybe get them powdercoated black or something. I've also considered doing like duhast did to the ones he got for his bike. Do you still have your old ones? Maybe I'll take them off your hands to free up some room in that tiny garage of yours.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
DNLEVESQUE said:
I'm looking forward to getting back out there to ride with the DD's again but these guys are great. You all should know 8 by now since his visit last month but he's been breaking in the White Rhyno and well Gordito has been riding his other bike. As for me taking it easy, my spokes on the rear wheel are loose again and I did tighten them some but I think I'm gonna get some solid wheels like your old ones and maybe get them powdercoated black or something. I've also considered doing like duhast did to the ones he got for his bike. Do you still have your old ones? Maybe I'll take them off your hands to free up some room in that tiny garage of yours.
Sounds cool to me. Engrave USMC emblems through them and paint them bright red with gold highlights!

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
That would be friggin great but the bike is blue. I guess I can say I was trying to replicate my blues trousers!:thumbsup:

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
DNLEVESQUE said:
That would be friggin great but the bike is blue. I guess I can say I was trying to replicate my blues trousers!:thumbsup:

Blue tank with Iwo painted on the side - red and gold engraved wheels - and mount your sword for a hand shifter. Sounds like a theme bike to me!!

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Doug,

I've got some FatBoy wheels collecting dust here too.

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
I need to win the lotto before I do all that. I'll go buy the winning ticket now so I can get started on that theme. Maybe I can mount a .50 cal on the front also to get the slow folks out of the way when I'm out putting around!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts