V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody

I've read a few threads, and had to join to do some searches, so I thought I'd go the next step and introduce myself. When you hear my story, you'll agree that it is inevitable that I'll be posting a lot of requests for help :)

I live in southcentral PA, been riding street bikes for twenty years off and on, Yamaha 250, Suzuki 550, Honda 750, and lastly a Suzuki 450 that I couldn't pass up for $150. Still got the 450 (it was an easy fix as I suspected) but I'm kinda big for it, so I never put many miles on it.

Lo and behold, my Father-in-law has decided that he's done riding (claims he liked the lifestyle more than the actual riding) so he has given (yes, given) me his 1973 FLH!!!!! Two weeks ago, I used some old frequent flyer miles I had laying around, flew down to Florida, and trailered the bike back to my house.

Even though I've always wanted a Harley (deep down inside - who doesn't??), I have always have been insulted by the exorbitant prices, "lifestyle" marketing, and boutique-ish dealers. Being a seasoned mechanical engineer, the huge flywheels, pushrods, dry sumps, vibrations, etc, etc have also contributed to the feeling that i'd never actually have one.

Well, that is all in the past. I love this bike. It is pretty ratty and in need of a lot of attention, but I am already committed. I got it started Wednesday night for the first time and it sounds like the sweetest music I've ever heard (like really, really frickin LOUD:brows:) It sat for about 5 years prior to this, so I have already rebuilt the carb, replaced all the fuel lines, flushed the tanks, repaired the front brake, changed the oil, replaced the petcock, cleaned the points, and (temporarily) recovered the seat.

There are quite a few mysterious modifications done on the bike along with some stuff in obvious need of replacement so I expect to be hangin' around here pretty regularly........ I already got some questions that I couldn't find answers for, so I'm sure any of you that hang out in the "pre-evolution" (love that name) forum will get to know me better, soon enough.

Peace,
Step

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Nice bike, especially for free. The only part of your story I have trouble with is the fact that you put it on a trailer (Just kidding)

Will your ole lady make you sleep on the couch for bringing another bike home? (Just Kidding....again)

All the (BAD) hype you heard about Harley is all bull hockey.....now that you own one you will see (not kidding).

From one NOOBE to another, welcome to the COOL forums of V-Twin. Do me a personal favor, Look for my posts and pretend that they are funny.

Post up.....soak up some techno-advice from some of the HD gurus here.......See ya around.

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

In order to truly gain the title of "seasoned engineer" you must have at least one seriously fubar monument or project named after you. What's yours?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Welcome to the board. You will find lots of usefull info on here to get your scoot back in the condition it needs to be. Out there in Pa. You have a great dealer there in DuBois, Pa. I was motoring down I-80 this summer when my Road King just shut off. I called DuBois Harley and even though they were just closing up, the mechanic came in got me in his own pickup and stayed 2 hrs after close to get me back on the road. After the work was done, he sent me on my way, It was all warranty work so no bill, but I slipped him a $50 for his trouble and he wouldn't even accept it. If you aren't to far I reccomd them for parts and service. And If you ever get in there check out the ape hangers on the urinal....LOL

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Welcome Step!! Post up and ask, that's what we're here for. Hope the info provided will get that classic on the road. Good luck,

Carrie

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got a great bike. If you get a shot, post some pics. I love the older HDs and would like to see it. A buddy of mine has a 1971 FLH that he bought brand new. It's all original. I ride it every now and then and it rides like a dream. It's one of my favorite bikes to ride, but I know I could never replace it if something happened (plus, he'd kill me), so I only take it for short rides.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum! Congrats on the 73 FLH!! Post up often and enjoy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts