V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am harleydog40 and new to this forum. I am not new to motorcycling though.
I live within twenty miles of the town of Sturgis, SD. I expect that more than a few of you have heard of this town on the edge of the Black Hills. Since I have lived here all of my life other than my four Navy years I have had a rather unique view of the Sturgis Rally from nearly all sides.
My firtst bike was a '66 Yamaha 80 that I bought from JC Hoel in the spring of '67. JC Hoel is the guy that basically started the Rally back in 1938. My first rally was attended that August. My best bud and I rode our Yammie tiddlers to Sturgis and stayed in Pappy Hoels back yard for four glorious days of racing, sightseeing, and adventure. We were all of fourteen years old at that time.
Sturgis in the sixties as a great time for the rally for a kid. Every make of bike made could be seen on the streets. Harleys, Triumphs, BSA's, and BMW's abounded. But you could also see Vincents, Indians, and whole plethora of other, often obscure makes. There was one constant about all of them, they were ridden!
During my years in the service, I rode Triumphs. I was fortunate enough to get shore duty in Hawaii for two years and had a 500 twin as transportation there. After being transferred to a ship in ****, I bought a brand new Trident. I was my sole transportation until I came home in '76.
Since then I have owned three HD's. The first one was an '82 XLS, I won it from the Heart Fund raffle that year during the Sturgis Rally. When they called me up, I asked the guy which one of my A..Hole buddies put him up to it!
The last two HD's have been baggers, currently an '02 FLHR that I just punched out to 95 inches.
Anyone that has any questions about Sturgis, just drop me a line!
harleydog

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Welcome aboard, harleydog! Great to have another local here. We have a "Year around Sturgis Talk" thread down towards the bottum of the main page. Questions about Sturgis will be asked there so please be sure to stop by and help out! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome to the H/D Forum!

Hey, harleydog. Thanks for joining us. Thanks for sharing your riding adventures.

Several members will be at the Rally in 2003. Should be fun. We'll see ya' there.

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
hey harley dog! i am a sturgis local. glad to have you on the board. nice to know that there is someone else on here that can answer questions that i cannot. excellent. i have lived here all my life, so i am no stranger to rallies and bikes. altho, i don't ride my own, i still enjoy rallies just the same. welcome to the board

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hey Harleydog,

I have family and friends in Spearfish, Rapid and Belle Fourche. Man I love it there. What a beautiful area. I even have a little spot of heaven there that I just might do something with someday.

My passion for Harley grew there when I was a kid and would see all the motorcycles during bike week. Met some great folk too.

You might think this is silly, but I actually like the winters you guys get. Any time you want to swap for a while, just let me know. LoL.

Welcome.

Peace,

Ross

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Harleydog,

Welcome! It's a great forum...enjoy! I'm one of those hopin' to make '03 my first Sturgis trip. I asked for advice down in the 'Year Round Sturgis Talk' forum. Any advice you've got would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts