V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there...

I thought I should introduce myself...

My name is Ryan and I am a college student and a former Marine (0311-trigger puller)

I currently ride a Kawasaki ZRX-1100 and average about 7000 miles a year. I don't believe in paying someone to do something to my bike that I can do myself, although I don't frown on people who do. Besides, I've had too many mechanics screw things up.

I grew up around bikes, mostly Harley's (Dad rode a Triumph) and generally dig anything with 2 wheels. Most of the old Harley riders I grew up around are kinda ticked that they can't afford a new Harley now.

I plan on picking up an EVO softail someday to play with but I need a garage first.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Welcome aboard Ryan!

As you can see, we don't discriminate around here. Lots of folks in your situation and we all understand. The time will come and before you know it, you will be on that Softtail!

Good luck and feel free to join in anytime. Ask away, we have some very knowledgeable folks around here.

Be sure to check in our "Vet's Forum" !

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Welcome Ryan! We all gotta start somewhere. But I will tell you this, 7000 miles a year ain't to shabby. Don't worry about getting a Harley now. Like dprice said, the time will come and you will be on a Hog if you set your heart on it. People used to tell me that I was a wannabe, I told them that I was a gonnabe - and here I am.

Ride on!!!

Jockeyshift

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words so far. I love to tinker with bikes so the Hog would be more of an ongoing project that a serious rider. My Kawi is pretty much bulletproof as far as reliability goes so I don't get to work on it much. My dad's old biker buddies were always tearing into their Hogs around the house and that was a really good experience for me growing up. I'd like my kids to enjoy the same experiences. (When we have kids)

I gotta say that I was a bit apprehensive about this forum as it seems that lately the bulk of Harley riders I see don't wave back (I firmly believe in waving to everybody on a motorcycle) I write these guys off as the yuppie bikers. How else do you explain the $35,000 ride? None of the bikers I know can lay down that kind of wad on a bike.

I was happy to see that most of you guys seem to be really cool about riders of other country's bikes. I dig most bikes and recognize that not all bikes were created for the same purpose. I love to carve corners and my Kawi does that really well (especially after I revalved the forks) but I would love to build up a cruiser to take the wifey out on those nice summer evenings. I don't want one that's all polished up and covered in Billet and Chrome, I want one that looks kinda ratty like the Hogs I grew up with. Nothing anyone would want to steal. A Harley would also be nice for trips.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ryan, from one FNG to another...welcome to the forum. Don't worry about riding the Kaw. Nothing wrong with that. At least you are out there in the wind. Your time will come for thew Hog. Seems to be some good info here. Keep the shiny side up.
tbone

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome Ryan,
My last bike was a Z1-B, great bikes and I agree they are bullet proof, just do the scheduled maintenance and you’ll be good to go. Heck they even let me on here with my new metric bike, but I hope this one is as bullet proof as my old Kaw was. So far I have had no problems, great bike. But the only reason I didn't have a HAWG was $$$$, did not have enough. I guess a lot of folks forget even back in the 80’s Harleys were still expensive; I would have loved to have one. But being out of College that $1,000 Kaw 900 fit the bill for me and got me on two wheels. I just ride because I enjoy riding.

Again welcome,

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey V-rod

I've been waiting for ever for Harley to put out a liquid cooled bike. How do ya like it?

·
Registered
544 Posts
madcap69,

I love it; it's smooth and has plenty of power and is a real looker. The only thing I am planning on doing fairly soon is to replace the seat with one that is designed for a little more seat time. Stock gets hard after about half a day.

I also changed over to Mobil 1 V-Twin oil and, it seems to me anyway, that it shifts smoother and is a bit more rev happy, spins up a tad quicker.

And man does it draw attention, just like I have said before; if you are in the witness protection program this is not the bike for you. Every where I go someone stops to talk to me about it; and a lot of the interest comes from women, good looking women. Heck, a lady in a ML500 MB, stopped short at a light and rolled down her window to tell me how nice looking it was and how much she liked it. But, I have noticed that since I went to a full face helmet I have had less people talk to me, in traffic, than with the open face.

But I am looking forward to many more miles, very pleased with it.

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts