V-Twin Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,645 Posts
I don't need to disprove an unproven theory.
I would settle for a poll on V-Twin Forum.
I'm talking TOTALLY stock Harley's. Not even grips changed.
Most people say "I have kept mine stock except for... grips... blah blah... mirrors... blather..."
A totally stock used bike is a rare beast.
Rarity equals... what?

Come on, you can do it...

It's ok, just don't look down...

Rarity equals...

Deep breaths now...

VALUE!

That right, good job.

And let's see, what kinds of cars are these TV auctions getting rich from?

RESTORED!

See there, you got two in a row.

joe

·
Super Moderator
3,108 Posts
Not all Harleys and not all stock.However there are a few Harleys and a few all stock bikes.One of the Harleys is all stock.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Rarity equals... what?

Come on, you can do it...

It's ok, just don't look down...

Rarity equals...

Deep breaths now...

VALUE!

That right, good job.

And let's see, what kinds of cars are these TV auctions getting rich from?

RESTORED!

See there, you got two in a row.

joe
You are very good at condescension but...
everybody knows from the car shows that rare is NOT necessarily valuable.
I don't even really disagree the "stock is best" theory but I have a problem with Homesick spouting his opinions as facts with no proof.
People on this forum (I forget who) have claimed that you should never believe an odometer, so even on a stock bike you can't trust the mileage read out. If you can't trust that, then what makes you think nothing has been touched? The primary has never been off? The wheels never off? The heads never off? C'mon! What are the odds on that?
You can take one look at a bike and tell if the mods have been done properly and are to your liking. This is an opinion issue. If you like stock then, great! I happen to like heavily modified FXR's like Turboprop's or Brad's. Pretty far from stock and far superior IMO IMO IMO

·
Super Moderator
20,529 Posts
I don't even really disagree the "stock is best" theory but I have a problem with Homesick spouting his opinions as facts with no proof.
People on this forum (I forget who) have claimed that you should never believe an odometer, so even on a stock bike you can't trust the mileage read out. If you can't trust that, then what makes you think nothing has been touched? The primary has never been off? The wheels never off? The heads never off? C'mon! What are the odds on that?
You can take one look at a bike and tell if the mods have been done properly and are to your liking. This is an opinion issue. If you like stock then, great! I happen to like heavily modified FXR's like Turboprop's or Brad's. Pretty far from stock and far superior IMO IMO IMO
A scooter is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. As for original or modified, its a question of matching it to the buyer. With that said, you will find it easier to get "correct" money for a well kept IOC scooter. (in original condition) And while Pro Street scooter will bring good money from some people, most of the stuff between them and stock will leave the seller disappointed.

If you drop a $6000 motor into an 10 Dyna, you might find it sells for chump change more than the same scooter with a oem motor.
Custom choppers that sold for $30K back in 2009, are worth $6- $8K now. Just look at the resale book, you pick up a few bucks for a backrest or a windshield, but there is no escalator for engine mods or loud pipes.

Out there right now, the only thing showing much interest is the sub $6K market. And desperate people are selling $12k scooters for $6K. The market is fat with "Take over my payments" on upside down loans, and the normal "summers over time to sell it" scooters. Problem is that money is tight and loans have gotten hard to get, unless you really don't need one. Or go to a dealer and get one of those subprime screwing's. $2k down and 60 easy payments of $289, on a $8000 scooter.

I show my FXR a few times a year and generally get a few peeps looking to buy it. To show you how times have changed, the offers this year were about 1/2 of what I was hearing last year.

As for the speedos, it's not that hard to tamper with them. But with that said, most Harley's don't need to be tampered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I finally got my first Harley. She is beautiful, and quick enough for what I am going got use her for. The one thing is, everywhere I go, I hear the same thing......."When you gonna get rid of those bars?" "You still got the stock exhaust?" "What are you going to do to her first?" My answer is the same as well, “I am not touching her.” Why? Because I don’t want to. I like the bike as is. Harley got my money. Then comes the dis-approving glares. I’m thinking I ** my pants or something. But it’s worse than that. I’m a non-customizer. I don’t want to create anything. I don't want it faster, shinyer, or louder. I want it to start everytime, and not leak. I emptied my wallet, and I am done. I feel HD paid all those engineer geeks to figure out what to use, and I am good with that. I don’t want different bars. If they are not %100 comfortable, I will adjust to them. I don’t want different exhaust. My exhaust is fine. Its quiet as hell, but that’s how it was designed. Watching where the hell your going saves more lives than loud, citation magnet pipes. I have officially pissed of the Harley gods. It’s a 700 lb motorcycle people. If I am going racing, I am getting a GSXR750. I am good with some brake pads, and maybe one of those drive belts, and whatever decides to let go during our time together. I get the whole thing about customizing the bike as you want it. Make the bike your own. It’s your bike, your money. You are free to replace everything, just as I should be free to roll stock. The bike ignites debates everywhere she goes. Heated ones. Gertrude, (her name) and I are every watering holes ** stirrer. One dude even came up to me on a group ride… in our group mind you, and suggested that I change the rims. Dude, really? I don’t have a 68 Camaro! .My riding partner says all that cheap weed in high school is catching up with me. He rides a Honda, so he gets a free pass because that is one hell of a motorcycle, every year.
What is the deal? Am I crazy? Do all you guys just feel like a stock bike is an insult somehow? And if so, to who?
Is there some secret Harley accessories cult I don't know about where Nichole Kidman gets naked and burns a torch?
With that visual, I am done, and would like your comments......
I finally got my first Harley. She is beautiful, and quick enough for what I am going got use her for. The one thing is, everywhere I go, I hear the same thing......."When you gonna get rid of those bars?" "You still got the stock exhaust?" "What are you going to do to her first?" My answer is the same as well, “I am not touching her.” Why? Because I don’t want to. I like the bike as is. Harley got my money. Then comes the dis-approving glares. I’m thinking I ** my pants or something. But it’s worse than that. I’m a non-customizer. I don’t want to create anything. I don't want it faster, shinyer, or louder. I want it to start everytime, and not leak. I emptied my wallet, and I am done. I feel HD paid all those engineer geeks to figure out what to use, and I am good with that. I don’t want different bars. If they are not %100 comfortable, I will adjust to them. I don’t want different exhaust. My exhaust is fine. Its quiet as hell, but that’s how it was designed. Watching where the hell your going saves more lives than loud, citation magnet pipes. I have officially pissed of the Harley gods. It’s a 700 lb motorcycle people. If I am going racing, I am getting a GSXR750. I am good with some brake pads, and maybe one of those drive belts, and whatever decides to let go during our time together. I get the whole thing about customizing the bike as you want it. Make the bike your own. It’s your bike, your money. You are free to replace everything, just as I should be free to roll stock. The bike ignites debates everywhere she goes. Heated ones. Gertrude, (her name) and I are every watering holes ** stirrer. One dude even came up to me on a group ride… in our group mind you, and suggested that I change the rims. Dude, really? I don’t have a 68 Camaro! .My riding partner says all that cheap weed in high school is catching up with me. He rides a Honda, so he gets a free pass because that is one hell of a motorcycle, every year.
What is the deal? Am I crazy? Do all you guys just feel like a stock bike is an insult somehow? And if so, to who?
Is there some secret Harley accessories cult I don't know about where Nichole Kidman gets naked and burns a torch?
With that visual, I am done, and would like your comments......

·
Registered
11,789 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I do like he word quivering though. I'm the one who screws up posts, so don't get any ideas about moving into my territory Ray.
My man you are years behind me on how to fuk up a post. It is so hard taking conscious thought and applying it to my index finger on phone net. Tap...tap tap....tap. Luckily I have about a day to edit or completely delete said post. You need 5600 more posts before trying to overthrow my throne.lol

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
In disguise
2,782 Posts
I think this debate boils down to “enthusiast” or “collector”.

I go to antique motorcycle shows. On the one hand, I love seeing a 1974 Triumph Trident, because I had one back then (and wish I had It back, problems and all). But I also get a big kick out of going to a bike rally and seeing a FXR with a S&S 111, Legend suspension, Baker 6-speed, custom paint (always a matter of opinion), and on and on, and also wishing it was mine, but it’s a different thing from seeing a restored stock, or original old Triumph. I’d ride the modified Harley and gently putt around to antique motorcycle shows on the Triumph. Proud of both and worth premium prices.

So which is worth more, stock or modified? Apples for apples, a bone stock, original untouched say, 1969 Camaro Z/28 (My all-time dream car that I never had) with high mileage but running, and yes, some wear (“patina”), or a perfect accurate complete recent zero-miles restoration to stock of the same car, or a restomod ‘69 Z/28, done over with modern drivetrain, suspension, interior and say, even subtly changed paint or even bodywork? They’re each likely to appeal to a different market.

I would say (hope) that no one would buy Therm’s stock, mint FXR or that beautiful FXRD in the video with the intention of breaking them up for making massive modifications when they could preferably buy a tired FXR for far less, since they plan on replacing major parts anyway. Again, it’s a different market. Note: IMO.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Maybe we all can agree between folks watching TV and learning what the shows say, the prices on stock or mod are screwed up.

Therm is correct and I have seen the proof, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,645 Posts
OK, last one...

I didn't say rare is necessarily valuable. I'm guessing everyone here knows we're speaking in generalities. Now you want to make arguments based on specific exceptions. Try to keep up, or at least to stay with-in the lines.

The shows specialize in 'restored' not in 'modified'. And maintenance/repair are not modded/custom. I'll stipulate for you that there can be some overlap though.

I think you're capable of following a thought all the way to its logical conclusion. I'd sure like to see it.

joe

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Thermodyne claims being a Mod here is akin to herding cats.
I feel like I'm arguing with a herd of cats!

I'm done on this one.You win Big Joe.

·
not sober all the time
5,752 Posts
About 49-50 years ago my sister had a cat. I woke up from a deep sleep not knowing the cat was right in front of my face. At the same moment my eyes opened, the cat slashed my face with it's claws. It's not difficult to figure out what I think about cats.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
I have seen a bumper sticker that states "I like cats, they taste just like chicken". I guess there is humor in everything.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts