V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my first Harley. She is beautiful, and quick enough for what I am going got use her for. The one thing is, everywhere I go, I hear the same thing......."When you gonna get rid of those bars?" "You still got the stock exhaust?" "What are you going to do to her first?" My answer is the same as well, “I am not touching her.” Why? Because I don’t want to. I like the bike as is. Harley got my money. Then comes the dis-approving glares. I’m thinking I **** my pants or something. But it’s worse than that. I’m a non-customizer. I don’t want to create anything. I don't want it faster, shinyer, or louder. I want it to start everytime, and not leak. I emptied my wallet, and I am done. I feel HD paid all those engineer geeks to figure out what to use, and I am good with that. I don’t want different bars. If they are not %100 comfortable, I will adjust to them. I don’t want different exhaust. My exhaust is fine. Its quiet as hell, but that’s how it was designed. Watching where the hell your going saves more lives than loud, citation magnet pipes. I have officially pissed of the Harley gods. It’s a 700 lb motorcycle people. If I am going racing, I am getting a GSXR750. I am good with some brake pads, and maybe one of those drive belts, and whatever decides to let go during our time together. I get the whole thing about customizing the bike as you want it. Make the bike your own. It’s your bike, your money. You are free to replace everything, just as I should be free to roll stock. The bike ignites debates everywhere she goes. Heated ones. Gertrude, (her name) and I are every watering holes **** stirrer. One dude even came up to me on a group ride… in our group mind you, and suggested that I change the rims. Dude, really? I don’t have a 68 Camaro! .My riding partner says all that cheap weed in high school is catching up with me. He rides a Honda, so he gets a free pass because that is one hell of a motorcycle, every year.
What is the deal? Am I crazy? Do all you guys just feel like a stock bike is an insult somehow? And if so, to who?
Is there some secret Harley accessories cult I don't know about where Nichole Kidman gets naked and burns a torch?
With that visual, I am done, and would like your comments......

·
Registered
811 Posts
thats good to stick to your guns...it will prob run well for a long time that way....and you can always jerk em around sayin wat mods you got inside there

·
Registered
2008 Dyna Super Glide Custom, 2015 BMW K1600GTL
150 Posts
I'm on your side, I like bikes that are stock, or mostly stock anyway. I do put a number of miles on my motorcycles, so comfort items I will change. Different bars or risers if needed and often a different seat. However, I want to reiterate, that is all for comfort, not for style. If it doesn't have a positive fit function for me, it doesn't get changed. There really is no reason to ride something that's uncomfortable. Past that leave it alone. I went down that rabbit hole with my 2009 Ultra Classic and I'm not doing that ever again.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
898 Posts
I wish I had your self disicipline, I remember some of the bikes I changed everything on, and think, I wish I had left that bike in original condition. But I have the disease and I am planning on changes to make over the winter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I had your self disicipline, I remember some of the bikes I changed everything on, and think, I wish I had left that bike in original condition. But I have the disease and I am planning on changes to make over the winter.

As long as it is what you want that is cool. My thing is there does seem to exist a kind of unspoken divide among the brotherhood in regard to those who do not modify. I'm just pissd that I don't get to go light up torches with Nichole. She would fit perfectly on the fender. I checked.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,647 Posts
More stock is more valuable; which is more true as they age. We call them 'Unmolested' bikes. Unmolested bikes will draw admiration from a wider and deeper pool of people.

Mostly though, as these guys have said, do what YOU like with YOUR money. No choice is gonna draw 100% approval. Don't worry about it.

joe

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,047 Posts
I finally got my first Harley. She is beautiful, and quick enough for what I am going got use her for. The one thing is, everywhere I go, I hear the same thing......."When you gonna get rid of those bars?" "You still got the stock exhaust?" "What are you going to do to her first?" My answer is the same as well, “I am not touching her.” Why? Because I don’t want to. I like the bike as is. Harley got my money. Then comes the dis-approving glares. I’m thinking I ** my pants or something. But it’s worse than that. I’m a non-customizer. I don’t want to create anything. I don't want it faster, shinyer, or louder. I want it to start everytime, and not leak. I emptied my wallet, and I am done. I feel HD paid all those engineer geeks to figure out what to use, and I am good with that. I don’t want different bars. If they are not %100 comfortable, I will adjust to them. I don’t want different exhaust. My exhaust is fine. Its quiet as hell, but that’s how it was designed. Watching where the hell your going saves more lives than loud, citation magnet pipes. I have officially pissed of the Harley gods. It’s a 700 lb motorcycle people. If I am going racing, I am getting a GSXR750. I am good with some brake pads, and maybe one of those drive belts, and whatever decides to let go during our time together. I get the whole thing about customizing the bike as you want it. Make the bike your own. It’s your bike, your money. You are free to replace everything, just as I should be free to roll stock. The bike ignites debates everywhere she goes. Heated ones. Gertrude, (her name) and I are every watering holes ** stirrer. One dude even came up to me on a group ride… in our group mind you, and suggested that I change the rims. Dude, really? I don’t have a 68 Camaro! .My riding partner says all that cheap weed in high school is catching up with me. He rides a Honda, so he gets a free pass because that is one hell of a motorcycle, every year.
What is the deal? Am I crazy? Do all you guys just feel like a stock bike is an insult somehow? And if so, to who?
Is there some secret Harley accessories cult I don't know about where Nichole Kidman gets naked and burns a torch?
Well, the nerve! I certainly hope those assholes aren't just trying to make toxic masculine conversation! OMG!

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
To each his own. I changed some comfort items on mine, but it was what I wanted. Every change I made took quite a bit of work and money. If you are happy with your bike the way it is, you're in a good place.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Nice! Just ride and smile...fuk 'em.

·
In disguise
2,782 Posts
More stock is more valuable; which is more true as they age. We call them 'Unmolested' bikes. Unmolested bikes will draw admiration from a wider and deeper pool of people.
This.

Ironic, isn’t it. So many of us buy a stock bike, apply a list of modifications because we’re seemingly driven to do so, then admire an older bike in totally stock condition because nobody ever changed it. Welcome to the Harley world.

·
Registered
2000 HD night train
9 Posts
the people I rode with always told me ride whatever you want just don't write it stock I guess we're just different people but it seems to bother you way too much what other people think do what makes you happy selfish

·
Super Moderator
20,531 Posts
I finally got my first Harley. She is beautiful, and quick enough for what I am going got use her for. The one thing is, everywhere I go, I hear the same thing......."When you gonna get rid of those bars?" "You still got the stock exhaust?" "What are you going to do to her first?" My answer is the same as well, “I am not touching her.” Why? Because I don’t want to. I like the bike as is. Harley got my money. Then comes the dis-approving glares. I’m thinking I ** my pants or something. But it’s worse than that. I’m a non-customizer. I don’t want to create anything. I don't want it faster, shinyer, or louder. I want it to start everytime, and not leak. I emptied my wallet, and I am done. I feel HD paid all those engineer geeks to figure out what to use, and I am good with that. I don’t want different bars. If they are not %100 comfortable, I will adjust to them. I don’t want different exhaust. My exhaust is fine. Its quiet as hell, but that’s how it was designed. Watching where the hell your going saves more lives than loud, citation magnet pipes. I have officially pissed of the Harley gods. It’s a 700 lb motorcycle people. If I am going racing, I am getting a GSXR750. I am good with some brake pads, and maybe one of those drive belts, and whatever decides to let go during our time together. I get the whole thing about customizing the bike as you want it. Make the bike your own. It’s your bike, your money. You are free to replace everything, just as I should be free to roll stock. The bike ignites debates everywhere she goes. Heated ones. Gertrude, (her name) and I are every watering holes ** stirrer. One dude even came up to me on a group ride… in our group mind you, and suggested that I change the rims. Dude, really? I don’t have a 68 Camaro! .My riding partner says all that cheap weed in high school is catching up with me. He rides a Honda, so he gets a free pass because that is one hell of a motorcycle, every year.
When they tell you that stuff, just look them in the eye and quietly ask them if they are offering to pay for it. Past that tell em to worry about their own scooters.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Your bike......do what you want

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
joe
Joe, I constantly hear you espouse this theory.
Do you have any proof?
We're talking FXR's here.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I really like my front fender, but I still have the original packed away, and the chrome sliders are easyer to keep clean than the bug crusted brushed finish that comes on it from the factory. And a few extra lights for better visibility. Oh and a good stage II cuz I like to go fast.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts