V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He does ! Finally, after 50 years of desire he has his ride, a 2001 Road King. In 1972 as a kid, I yanked Kawasaki's out of the crate at at shop in New Hampshire. Got them ready for the mechanics to tune the carbs, and that began my love for motorcycles, dirt bikes to start with...beat to death a 175 cc and took a 900 ( first year they came out) down the road for a mile or two...no licenses, but back then we didn't worry too much about **** like that ! I may have been young, but I knew what a real bike was suppose to look like ! 47 Indian ,suicide shift was the dream bike in my opinion...was the poster on my wall anyway. Four years later I had a 71 Triumph ...Bonny 650...bought in Fla. brought back to New Hampshire in the back of a 1966 rambler classic 550...tossed out the back seat and with the front wheel off the bike she fit in...tail light sticking out one window, front light out the other ! Had a basket case 1957 Triumph in a trunk on the roof... quite a sight but made it all the way from Sarasota to Haverhill Mass. Drove the 71 till the pistons slapped their way out of the head... about a year...lol...Decided than, next bike will be a Harley .... years flew by as they do...till two years ago when I finally realized my dream, or I know now, my necessity ! I can't begin to describe the feeling just sitting on it. Had to take a freaking course to get a licenses... politics, government, rules, regulations Bah ! Profiteering parasites ! A 3 day , 20 hr. event for 350.00$ on a 250 Honda...Outrageous...Ludicrous ..I thought, but after 44 years of 4 wheels carting this sorry ass around it turned out to be helpful, to say the least , most likely necessary. It didn't hurt , lets put it that way ! After the course, the instructor asks , " So you passed the test, now what , I replied, "" I replace this 250 Honda for a 700 lb. Road King and see if I can do that s curve and stop on a dime like I did with he Honda.
I admit , I was a bit intimidated, old age does that to ya,,,I took the Harley to the nearest parking lot and practiced everything ,,,the simplest turns to the quick stops... my ego might have taken a small set back, but my confidence gained a huge boost. With all honesty , the road king was easier to handle than the damn little Honda.. I'm a good driver regardless the ride...I think I'm one of the few who drives with nothing but driving as my intent...my mind is totally on driving / riding...isn't that the point ? I'm aware of everything around me..
I must say... in Maine , in Portland....most drivers has a cool respect of bikers...I have custom exhaust so they certainly hear me, it's a rare occasion when a car becomes a threat ....Some of that could be.....they see a old F*** like me with long hair, long beard and hear tunes from the 70's like Iggy Pop or New York Dolls......that alone tends to shy this current societies puppets away. Anyway... nice to be here .. respect all , hope I'm welcome ..Thanks Bill

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome from a grandfather, none of my grandkids are old enough to be parents yet. Enjoy your Road King, I certainly enjoy my Heritage Classic.

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
Welcome from a great grandfather my grandchildren have children. Our family reunions look like we could fill the bleachers at a ball game.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts