V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just happy to be here
858 Posts
I have a Zumo and love it. It saved my butt on a recent trip across the desert: I wasn't paying attention to the fuel gauge and I eventually noticed that my Low Fuel light was on. I had the Zumo find the closest gas station, which turned out to be just 4 miles away, but there's no way in hell I would have ever found it without the gps. AND it plays mp3s! :thumbsup:

I've never seen the TomTom so I can't comment on it.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Zumo 550. It's nice, and reliable. Not perfect - any of them will have a few minor flaws. However I've been able to ride some really nice rides and not have to worry about looking for turns. I'll take the well established Garmin any day over TomTom. Garmin has been in this business for a LONG time.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My Zumo was indispensible on my 12,000 mile Four Corners ride. I hooked it to my Chatterbox and my bluetooth phone. I created my daily routes with Street Atlas 2008 and uploaded them tot he Zumo. In addition to routing, I used it to find gas, lodging, and food. I was able to use it to call ahead for accomodations.

The one feature I'd like to have is a "where am I?" button. I knew where I was on the map, but it wasn't easy to figure out what town I was near.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Another vote for the Zumo 550. I got one a couple months ago, after telling myself that the paper maps I'd been using for decades were perfectly good enough. Not!

It'll find some good roads for you, along with its other attributes.

Jeff

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
HARLYDVDSN said:
Anybody Using The Tom Tom Or Zuma Gps Systems. Just Wondering If You Guys Had A Preferance
Welcome to the board.

Let me introduce you to a little button we use quite a bit...it's called the "Search" button located on the top tool bar of the forum...right between New Post and Quick Links. Bet you go up there and enter the word "Zumo" you'll learn all you want to know about GPS units and preferences.

o~\o

·
Registered
60 Posts
CutterHD said:
You should shop around I have seen the Zumo new for $655 compared to Best Buy $999

Do a price search

I heard that Costco is selling the Zumo for about $680 (includes Shipping from Costco.com). I do not know if they have them in the stores yet. I looked in Jacksonville FL store and did not see them.

Marc

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Zumo 450

I bought a 450 to use on the Posse Ride. I figured there were going to be off the beaten track to many times on the cross country trek. I could head off into the wrong direction and end up in some undesirable parts of town far to easy.

After 4,000 miles on the bike using the Zumo I'll give praise to Garmin.

I also used it on the same ten week vacation in my truck (using the external antenna) for 16,000 miles. Other than a few idiosyncrasies I've gotten to like the GPS.

Once you get a GPS and have it give you some strange directions a few times you'll know what I mean. Once the zumo had me make a u-turn on a four lane with a subsequent u-turn back to where I was originally headed. You have to read the upcoming direction list to see if such things are going to happen when you are using the unit to go across country.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts