V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's used GPS tracking devices? I'm thinking about getting one and looking for feedback.
I'm not talking about the GPS mapping devices that help find where you are and where you are headed. I'm talking about a personal tracking device.
Here's the difference: a GPS Mapping device may cost $400 and receives signals from satellites to show where you are and help you find your way.
A tracking device costs less than $100 but you need to pay for a service because it transmits your location.
As far as I know there aren't any devices that do both of these functions. Why would I want a personal tracking device? Well, one reason would be if I headed out on a long trip to visit someone I wouldn't need to stop, make a phone call, give my progress and ETA. They could just pull up a web site and find out where I am and when I should arrive.
Also I plan on taking a long motorcycle ride across the US this year. I plan on crossing about 30 states. I won't have much of a plan, although I would like to go around Lake Superior and then many of the western states. If loved ones are worried where I am and if I am still riding or crashed in a gulley or canyon they could just log in and see my progress.

Check out this page as an example: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=4860

I plan on posting my trip on this site so you guys can see where I'm headed.

I'm thinking of getting a Spot Personal Tracker like this one:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I'm using Bubbler gps on my smart phone, it has two versions lite (free) or the one you pay for, does about the same thing and you can view it on spotwalla.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a Spot as a tracker (I own a Spot) as a phone can do just as well. The main advantage of a Spot is it can send an SOS message from anywhere, whether there is cell signal or not. It's a rescue device, first and foremost.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's my understanding that the phone app works by triangulation of signals from cell towers. The GPS tracking device works with satellites. I'm sure a phone app can be very accurate riding from Boston to New York because there are always plenty of cell towers. But I live in Colorado. Cell coverage is spotty because of the mountains. That would especially be true if I were ridding over mountain passes and through canyons. I might get good enough reception to make a mediocre call but would I get the triangulation to pin point my location as I ride?
Has anyone used these phone apps in the mountains or far from cities?

Another question about the phone apps: is there a monthly fee? How much?

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
I installed an extra device I use for my trucks on my bike last year before a trip. My office was able to see every move I made. It helped them contact me, they knew when I was stopped or moving.

It's an inexpensive device, about $80, easy to install and if you don't need mileage tracking for tax purposes runs less than $20 a month.

www.linxup.com

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
It's my understanding that the phone app works by triangulation of signals from cell towers. The GPS tracking device works with satellites. I'm sure a phone app can be very accurate riding from Boston to New York because there are always plenty of cell towers. But I live in Colorado. Cell coverage is spotty because of the mountains. That would especially be true if I were ridding over mountain passes and through canyons. I might get good enough reception to make a mediocre call but would I get the triangulation to pin point my location as I ride?
Has anyone used these phone apps in the mountains or far from cities?

Another question about the phone apps: is there a monthly fee? How much?
Most newer smart phones are GPS enabled. I know my Motorola has a GPS built in.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
To me it seems a waste of money for someone who thinks they are more interesting then they are, or just a worry wort.

Why does someone need to know the exact time you are going to arrive, or care about every little stop? Vaguely interesting if going around the world or some north pole trek. But I for a guy going a few thousand miles, who cares?

Is your wife this much of a control freak? Save the money for a good lawyer

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's for trip reports. I like seeing where people have gone on their cycle trips or whatever. The phone app also allows you to post pictures and where they were shot.
If I am going to visit someone an ETA is nice. They can go about their business. They won't have to sit at home all day waiting for me. And I won't arrive only to find they are not home.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My daughter uses a phone app called Glympse. It is free and all she did was put in her phone # and she gets a link sent to her. She sends this to us and we can track exactly where she is, and even how fast she was going. HTH

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I think social media and this type of stuff has given us an over valued opinion of how interesting we are.

If you are coming to visit, I am not wasting my time checking. Call me and leave message when you get closr.

I think sometimes reading a guys website for a trip can be interesting. But 99% are not. If you leave country, other then lower Canada it can be.

But I don't care to track your progress to world's biggest ball of yarn.

Though this thread is not about my lack of interest or comments on society. If anything I would get a satellite phone so you have coverage, if you go some place interesting without cell. There are more spots then some realizr.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
LoL!! Damn Berserker, you forget to put a banana in your Cheerios this morning..!!! LoL!!

I'm with you, I really don't want somebody knowing where I am all the time. I know the Bride has used "Find iphone" app on occasion but not very often.

8~\o

·
Registered
4 Posts
Who's used GPS tracking devices? I'm thinking about getting one and looking for feedback.
I'm not talking about the GPS mapping devices that help find where you are and where you are headed. I'm talking about a personal tracking device.
Here's the difference: a GPS Mapping device may cost $400 and receives signals from satellites to show where you are and help you find your way.
A tracking device costs less than $100 but you need to pay for a service because it transmits your location.
As far as I know there aren't any devices that do both of these functions. Why would I want a personal tracking device? Well, one reason would be if I headed out on a long trip to visit someone I wouldn't need to stop, make a phone call, give my progress and ETA. They could just pull up a web site and find out where I am and when I should arrive.
Also I plan on taking a long motorcycle ride across the US this year. I plan on crossing about 30 states. I won't have much of a plan, although I would like to go around Lake Superior and then many of the western states. If loved ones are worried where I am and if I am still riding or crashed in a gulley or canyon they could just log in and see my progress.

Check out this page as an example: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=4860

I plan on posting my trip on this site so you guys can see where I'm headed.

I'm thinking of getting a Spot Personal Tracker like this one:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101
The SPOT device is good im planning to get one soon also..but any thoughts about Trackimo? it can use for GPS mapping / Personal GPS tracker right? since it has a Live Map tracking system.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
I personally don't want anyone knowing where I am.. Other than myself.. I usually keep that function on my phone turned off . If I need to know where I am then I'll use it and once I know off it goes again.

·
Super Moderator
19,565 Posts
I run the Spot unit when I'm away from home. Lets the ole lady see where I am without calling every 15 minutes. Her not calling all the time is worth the yearly fee.

And would let them find me if some trucker decides park me in a deep dark ditch somewhere.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I personally don't want anyone knowing where I am.. Other than myself.
If you use any of these devices you MUST use their security features. Here's one of my trips: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=cc3155291cd60db8c&showInfo=yes&showHome=yes&fillFactor=25&showWeather=no&units=F&showAll=yes

If I (or anyone) posted a trip anyone would be able to zoom in and look at where I live. I mean exactly where I live. You can zoom right in to the home. A burglar would love that more than if I put up a sign in my front yard saying "I am now on vacation in a state far away". With the internet they would be able to see where I am.

Security features: I can password protect my trip. Then I could give out my password to people I trust who want to know where I am.

Also, and more importantly, I can block all waypoints within 2 miles (or whatever) from my home. I could have posted this trip when I left and people would have been able to watch my progress in real time. If you zoom way in you can see that I live in Durango CO but have no idea what house. You can zoom in to see what motels and restaurants I stayed at.

If you don't use these security features you are inviting your home to be robbed. If you set them up properly the software is perfectly safe.

·
Just Sayin'
2,542 Posts
That's cool Dave. One question...why the blank spot when you cross in to Navada from Redding Ca to Reno? Did ya stop at one of them there ranches?:D:D

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's cool Dave. One question...why the blank spot when you cross in to Navada from Redding Ca to Reno? Did ya stop at one of them there ranches?:D:D
I was using SWConnect, an iPhone app to track me. The app locked up and I didn't realize it until I stopped in Reno.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts