V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:spank: by the administrator for attempting to sell my bike with my first post...sorry I didn't read the FAQ.

Anyhoot, I was a long time Kawasaki Ninja 600 rider and recently switched over to the real thing...'08 black FLSTN - Softail Deluxe...wow what a bike!

My parents somehow got wind of a website - www.ride2die.com....and the rest is history...they cried and begged me to get rid of the bike....eventually wife/kids joined in and so I succumbed...so with just 40 miles on the odo, the bike is at the dealer for sale on a consignment basis...

Sucks for now but I'll be back for more later.

I've been watching this great site for a while now and will continue..love the topics and the quality of the posts...keep it up and see you around! :wavey:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
damn, that sux.....

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
that sucks!!!

Shame to have to sell your bike....but plenty of us around here have kids and
worriesome parents to boot. That website you linked to is FULL of gruesome stuff. And yes, sh!t happens. I DID see a few Harley/Cruisers represented, but a ton (majority perhaps) were sport bike riders. I'd say keep the bike (and your balls) and take a MSF/safety course and utilize safety equipment and ride with other experienced riders. You could also die sitting on the couch eating Krispy Kreams. If bikes are in your blood...you'll regret getting rid of it. Good luck either way.
Tim

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
1bdBagr said:
Shame to have to sell your bike....but plenty of us around here have kids and
worriesome parents to boot. That website you linked to is FULL of gruesome stuff. And yes, sh!t happens. I DID see a few Harley/Cruisers represented, but a ton (majority perhaps) were sport bike riders. I'd say keep the bike (and your balls) and take a MSF/safety course and utilize safety equipment and ride with other experienced riders. You could also die sitting on the couch eating Krispy Kreams. If bikes are in your blood...you'll regret getting rid of it. Good luck either way.
Tim

@gree:

That website is appalling to say the least. Each picture has it's own story and to say this is your likely outcome, if you buy a bike is ridiculous.

Family and friends dont decide my fate whether it be dating or riding my bike.

My b law is having issues right now about keeping his bike. We don't pressure him, it's just his gut feeling. I'm not going to talk him out of it, that will be his decision. Who knows, it just might be his best decision. Thanks for posting your intro.

Best of luck to ya,

carrie

·
1,336 Posts
I am on the conspericy theory here. Why does his post count say 2? Both post on this thread. Where is the third post, where he tried to sell his bike. Did it get deleted or doe she have a website agenda?

Just asking

·
Real Leprechaun!
174 Posts
That website is a disgrace, It is the sort of crap that is turned out to put people off biking and for parents to use against their kids to persuade them to buy cages.

Why don't you stand up for yourself and get your bike back, don't mean to sound mean but be a man!

If you want to be a biker then you will have to learn to go your own way.

Sorry if that is a bit strong but I remember how I was thrown out of the house for wanting a bike even though my father rode bikes and it was a plane crash that killed him, sometimes you just got to do what you got to do!

Best of luck!

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Jonas said:
I am on the conspericy theory here. Why does his post count say 2? Both post on this thread. Where is the third post, where he tried to sell his bike. Did it get deleted or doe she have a website agenda?

Just asking
if his first post was a ad, then it was more that likely soft deleted. When a thread is deleted your post count looses a "count". :)

·
1,336 Posts
Carrie said:
if his first post was a ad, then it was more that likely soft deleted. When a thread is deleted your post count looses a "count". :)
Thanks, just wondered

If your involved with a website like that. This site is a perfect place to put a link to that site. I did not look at the site. I hope no love ones of the people on the site see it.

·
Make it Run, Then Ride !!
87 Posts
jcpca356 said:
:spank: by the administrator for attempting to sell my bike with my first post...sorry I didn't read the FAQ.

Anyhoot, I was a long time Kawasaki Ninja 600 rider and recently switched over to the real thing...'08 black FLSTN - Softail Deluxe...wow what a bike!

My parents somehow got wind of a website - www.ride2die.com....and the rest is history...they cried and begged me to get rid of the bike....eventually wife/kids joined in and so I succumbed...so with just 40 miles on the odo, the bike is at the dealer for sale on a consignment basis...

Sucks for now but I'll be back for more later.

I've been watching this great site for a while now and will continue..love the topics and the quality of the posts...keep it up and see you around! :wavey:
On a serious note, sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not making light of your problem but have you ever watched someone close to you die of cancer? Take the "For Sale" sign off the bike and enjoy your life, nobody say's you have to ride 150 down the curvy's, it's entirely up to you. I for one, would opt for a dump on the scoot over many other demises. BTW, my wife and I have enjoyed riding for more than 25 years. Go with your heart, Man...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
first, thank you for the posts and I appreciate where you guys are coming from and yes sir, I do go back and forth...especially since the bike's all paid for and all I gotta do is ride it back home.

I do remain ambivalent, just like your brother-in-law and perhaps many other guys out there.

When your close ones are all ganging up on you, it's really tough....I even prayed about it. It's all messed up right now.

So I'll see what happens - I can always get another bike...

·
Registered
967 Posts
That site, ride2die, is brutal. Why not share with your parents some DUI cage websites? They're just as dangerous and graphic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tried to check that site out. They're now looking for donations to put it back up again to cover ISP costs. Hmmm!! Isn't it costing anything to have that page & the comments up??? Do I smell scam??? Pick any one vehicle and look at accident statistics for that particular vehicle - you'd be surprised. I remember when I bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee and Mom gave me grief 'cuz of all the SUV accidents. Guess I shoulda bought a Corvette. Since there aren't as many 'Vettes as there are SUV's the statistics are lower. Wow!! Then I'd be safe!!! I'm getting older and when ya start getting older, seems like one of the pages ya pay most attention to in the newspaper is the obituary listings. Many aquaintences around my age are dying of things other than motorcycle accidents. They worked, lived, raised families, paid bills....and dreamed - dying before ever having a chance to live their dreams. It was finally the obituaries that made me decide to live my dream and buy a $30,000 motorcycle after 25 years of selling my last one (to get married & have children). Ya only live once and are certainly gonna die of something anyway!!! When yer time's up, it doesn't matter what yer doin'!!!!

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I'm thinking the same -- timing of his post, and now the site closed looking for donations is quite the coincidence. HOWEVER.... giving benefit of the doubt....

I've ridden since I was 14. Could NOT keep me off a bike - until I started my family. At that point, I had a greater priority/responsibility to the 2 boys I fathered and voluntarily gave it up. I held out until the youngest was 12 - that was all I could stand. It's OK to take a break for the family's sake, then you can get back on a scoot.

REMEMBER: We all die, but only some of us truly live.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
ride2die

PR3VS56 said:
I'm thinking the same -- timing of his post, and now the site closed looking for donations is quite the coincidence. HOWEVER.... giving benefit of the doubt....REMEMBER: We all die, but only some of us truly live.
My sentiments exactly. Perhaps a bit sobering to see. And i say sobering because in the past i've made some bad decisions in the past regarding riding & drinking. Stupid sh!t. That website just illustrates the fact that how little control sometimes we have in our destiny. All it takes is some inattentive soccer mom hauling her kids around while talking on the cell phone making a left turn in front of you is all it takes. Or maybe it's an older person, one who's really on the edge of truly being capable behind the wheel driving his/her 78 Buick 4 door and pulling out in front of you. Maybe a truck driver with too many miles/not enough sleep, driving marginally prepared equipment (like shoddy underinflated re-caps) squeezing you out of a lane with nowhere to go....All these things can kill ya! I left the gist of this on that sites guestbook, and the bottom line is this....It's all about being prepared, competent riding skills & MANAGED RISK. I'm not prepared to quit riding anytime soon, nor ready for my family to say goodbye to me. This website while pretty gross, made my think....and that isn't a bad thing.
Tim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts