V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ghetto Blaster
Joined
·
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other night me and a bud were riding home after dinner and the NHRA Winternats here in So. Cal. We were coming from the 57 north, transitioning to the 10 east...cruising 65 mph, road ahead merges 2 lanes into 1. A Big Rig is next to us, we gas it and merge on to the 10 ,go over 2 lanes ...somewhere between 65 and 70 mph. Keeping in mind that it's 8:30 pm and dark....I see in my quickly approaching "horizon" a real dim set of hazards flashing...IN MY LANE. I looked to my left and luckily it was clear...did a HARD swerve manuever. Went around it, and so did my buddy...he made it closer than I. Turns out it was a Mitsubishi mini truck PARKED in the third lane out...dead nuts in the middle of the freeway. In this spot...it's crazy with 3 freeways converging. I can't believe some dick left his pile in the middle of the freeway. My heart nearly jumped out of my chest!!! This is the stupidest thing i've seen in all my years of driving...
Lastly....The BEST thing i had done that evening was to drink Ice Tea all evening (and not Long Island Ice Teas either...straight Lipton)...Had I been impaired...very likely I'd be dead. My buddy says his eyesight in that kind of light isn't what it usta be either. He said if it wasn't for watching me do a BIG swerve (or if he was riding solo) he might not have seen it in time. All I can say is thanks....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
yeah, seriously, good on you for getting around that.

i wonder what the civil liability is for doing something that is so foreseeably hazardous is? of course, given the junk truck that the person left in the road, its unlikely they have any holdings/potential earning to take.
 

·
Have chrome will travel
Joined
·
506 Posts
Had a similar thing happen last week on the ride home from work. There was a car in the middle lane of a 3 lane hiway doing around 25mph in a 65 at night with no hazards. I was in the left lane doin 80 but the cars coming up behind this guy were freakin out because they came up on him so fast. They were diving left and right to keep from plowing into this guy. I had a guy try and share my lane. I was able to get outa the way but WTF! Scary Sh!t.
 

·
In disguise
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
1bdBagr said:
.... Keeping in mind that it's 8:30 pm and dark....I see in my quickly approaching "horizon" a real dim set of hazards flashing...IN MY LANE. I looked to my left and luckily it was clear.... Turns out it was a Mitsubishi mini truck PARKED in the third lane out...dead nuts in the middle of the freeway.... This is the stupidest thing i've seen in all my years of driving...
It's easy for me to believe. When I was in high school, a friend was coming home from his date late at night (sober, in a car) on the local Interstate. He rounded a bend where a retaining wall seperated the East and West bound sides and found a car parked in the fast lane. Not off the road, but out in the fast lane. No flashers, no lights. No street lights on the highway. By the time he saw it he couldn't stop in time so he rear-ended the car with the brakes locked up. Luckily he was just shaken up and cussing as he climbed out the window of his totaled car. Imagine his surprise when he heard noises coming from the severly bashed other vehicle and discovered that two drunk men were inside. When the police arrived, one of them had sobered up enough to tell the cop that they decided while on the road that they were too drunk to drive and to pull over to sleep it off. They thought they had made it to the emergency lane on the far left but in fact had parked out in the fast lane, turned the car off and went to sleep.

I still remember that story because I've always thought I'd never hear another one like it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,329 Posts
FXR2 said:
It's easy for me to believe. When I was in high school, a friend was coming home from his date late at night (sober, in a car) on the local Interstate. He rounded a bend where a retaining wall seperated the East and West bound sides and found a car parked in the fast lane. Not off the road, but out in the fast lane. No flashers, no lights. No street lights on the highway. By the time he saw it he couldn't stop in time so he rear-ended the car with the brakes locked up. Luckily he was just shaken up and cussing as he climbed out the window of his totaled car. Imagine his surprise when he heard noises coming from the severly bashed other vehicle and discovered that two drunk men were inside. When the police arrived, one of them had sobered up enough to tell the cop that they decided while on the road that they were too drunk to drive and to pull over to sleep it off. They thought they had made it to the emergency lane on the far left but in fact had parked out in the fast lane, turned the car off and went to sleep.

I still remember that story because I've always thought I'd never hear another one like it.
If you are gonna wish John McCain was President in a public way there are those who wll tell what they think of someone who could and did author the McCain/Feingold act. Some of our law makers need to be ushered out onto the steps of the Capitol and have their brains blown out. He is among them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
geoffreyt said:
If you are gonna wish John McCain was President in a public way there are those who wll tell what they think of someone who could and did author the McCain/Feingold act. Some of our law makers need to be ushered out onto the steps of the Capitol and have their brains blown out. He is among them.
John McCain can kiss my a$$. I don't know how he can call himself a Republican.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
873 Posts
geoffreyt said:
If you are gonna wish John McCain was President in a public way there are those who wll tell what they think of someone who could and did author the McCain/Feingold act. Some of our law makers need to be ushered out onto the steps of the Capitol and have their brains blown out. He is among them.
You realize that was in his signature, right?

Either way, I've been inspired to use my sig as a political platform.
 

·
In disguise
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
geoffreyt said:
If you are gonna wish John McCain was President in a public way there are those who wll tell what they think of someone who could and did author the McCain/Feingold act. Some of our law makers need to be ushered out onto the steps of the Capitol and have their brains blown out. He is among them.
Talk about thread drift. Read much?
 

·
Ghetto Blaster
Joined
·
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was trippin' too...

Homarr said:
You realize that was in his signature, right?

Either way, I've been inspired to use my sig as a political platform.
Took me a moment but I was thinkin' that's the most far off thread jack i've seen. Had to go back and see where John McCain was maybe driving the mini truck or something. Then I see it... Dohhhhhhh
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
:sofa: I was wondering why a drunken John McCain was parked in the fast lane of an interstate highway. Anyway, back to the original thread, this why I don't often ride at night. Like your buddy my night vision is not what it used to be. . .

Lefty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Homarr said:
You realize that was in his signature, right?

Either way, I've been inspired to use my sig as a political platform.

Actually i didn't realize it was a part of his signature, My bad.

I've come across a lot of nasty things on the road at night but never a whole truck, just pieces.
 

·
Life is what you make it
Joined
·
3,568 Posts
Glad you lived to tell us about it
How was the race I watched it on TV. What about Troxel huh
 

·
Incredible
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
Lefty said:
:sofa: I was wondering why a drunken John McCain was parked in the fast lane of an interstate highway. Anyway, back to the original thread, this why I don't often ride at night. Like your buddy my night vision is not what it used to be. . .

Lefty
If it had been a drucken stupid politician that had left a car in the road then it would have been Ted if anyone.
 

·
In disguise
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
Fatb0y said:
If it had been a drunken stupid politician that had left a car in the road then it would have been Ted if anyone.
Nah. Ted would have run the car into a river. And then left it.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top