V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...by my riding buddy.

Riding Lakeshore drive on Lake Mead, onroute to Echo Bay for lunch. About 6 miles after entering park service land we are rolling along at just over 50. It's getting a bit chilly so I decide to pull into an overlook and put on my chaps. Check my mirror for my buddy, and he's 75 yards or so behind me. I signal a right, downshift and slowly brake to 30 or so.

Just as I'm getting set up for the right turn, SMACK!

I stay up, and I hear and see his 96 Dyna sliding by on my left at about 35 mph. I pull off, and see him and his wife laying in the road, and his bike another 10 yards past me.

His wife took the worst of it. Broken nose and ankle, road rash and some pretty bad bruises. He's just rashed up, bruised and sore. Almost immediately several groups of riders stop and help. One is a nurse, and holds his wife's head and neck parallel. Others get his Dyna up, and out of the travel lane. I get on the cell and get medical and park rangers en route.

Ambulance takes them to UMC trauma, my wife and I get his bike loaded on a wrecker, and take it to his house. From there we go to the hospital to check on them. While talking to him, I realize he has no idea he hit me.

We discuss it for awhile, and conclude that he went down prior to his bike hitting mine, and that it must have slid into the back of my bike. My wife tells me she was talking to one of the passengers of one of the group that stopped to help. Gal told my wife she saw us slow, and that our signal was on. Also said my bud was looking to the left; not ahead as we slowed.

This is what I 'think' happened...

1) He was looking at the other approaching riders as I slowed for the right turn.
2) When he looks back and realizes I'm slowing, he grabs a handful (and/or footful) of brake.
3) One or both wheels lock up, and he goes down.
4) His bike continues on it's path on its side, and slides into the rear of my bike.

Pretty much destroyed my left saddle bag. Pushed it into the side cover, and scratched the cover as well. Right bag has some scratches and spider cracks. Right exhaust tip is damaged; telescoped the muffler into the head pipe. Saddle bag and rear fender supports may be tweaked.

His bike is pretty heavily damaged, mostly from the 100 yard slide on the right side. Bags, all 3 foot pegs, brake lever, air cleaner, windshield, gauges, bars and hand controls. Didn't look to be any frame damage tho, and it still runs...

Leather jackets and 3/4 Bell helmets did their job. His wife's helmet has a very deep gouge on the back where it struck the pavement. If she had a novelty helmet on, I doubt she would still be his wife. If she was wearing a full face, my guess is her nose would not be broken...

He feels like sh**, other than the obvious physical pain. Knows it was lack of attention that caused it. But he's still my bud, I'll help him to recoup, heal and get his bike back on the road. I ordered him and his wife 2 "broken wing" patches off of eBay today. They earned them...

Caca happens, and it could have been much worse...

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
geez, thought this was another "Broke Back Mountain" discussion...

Seriously though, hope everthing works out for all involved.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear this. Hope your friends heal up quickly. It only takes a second of distraction for something bad to happen. It is so easy to get complacent, a reminder to me to up my awareness level too. Dan, hope your bike get's fixed without too much hassle or waiting.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sorry to hear of this accident Dan, I seriously thoght of riding out to Lake Mead Sunday, but stayed in Town instead (Hooters) It has been a while since we heard from you guys, hopefully you can get your scoot fixed.

Best wishes to your friends to heal.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Road Glider said:
It only takes a second of distraction for something bad to happen. It is so easy to get complacent, a reminder to me to up my awareness level too.
Me, too. 50 mph = about 73 feet per second. It doesn't take but a second or two distraction to get in deep trouble.

T113

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
The main thing is that everyone is alive and will live to tell the story. Bikes / Cars / Boats / whatever can be fixed or replaced. That is what we have insurance for. You can never replace a loved one.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Hope everyone is OK and thanks for the safety reminder.........ride safe

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
Bad stuff happens .. get wells to your friend and his wife. It's good to read about someone with a good attitude.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Hope everyone gets better soon. Hate to here when things like this happen.

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Thanks for sharing...

Glad noone was hurt any worse than they are. Pass on my wishes for a speedy recovery please. It's a good thing to be reminded how quickly things happen out there.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
thanks for sharing, every story helps the rest of us be smarter and more aware. best wishes to your friends

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks for the sharing. Had something similar happen Sunday but with a better result. As our group went into the some twisties with the sun in front of us and causing flickering light as we went through the trees(best way to describe is it felt like blinking really fast).

I remembered the note posted by the Trooper and his accident on the highway going East into the sun. Dropped a few MPH and around the next curve was a truck stopped in the middle. Due to the drop of my speed it caused everyone else to adjust and we were able to head off disaster. So posting things like this make us all rethink as we are riding nature is nice
but you need to be looking where you are going.

I hope you and your friends recover both physically and mentally on this accident. Like someone else said you can replace bikes/cars/boats but
you cant replace life.

Plus I think he will be buying the beers after riding for a loooong time.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the excellent breakdown on what happened. I used to work in law enforcement and we were taught to keep "what-if" scenarios running through our heads to stay sharp. The wreck stories that get posted here help me, and everyone else, to do just that.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Glad it was not any worse. Hope everybody heals and rides again soon.
Thanks for the reminder to stay sharp, can never here that often enough.
Good luck with everything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts