V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my Thunderheaders installed today on a 2003 Fatboy (carb with K&N airfilter) and I absolutely love them...

I was a little concerned about the looks (I wasn't crazy about how the Thunderheader looked) but I ended up loving the way they look. They really opened up the back end of the bike so you can see the chrome swing arm, brake calipers, and polished rotors. Additionally, the curves of the pipes just seemed to go well with the bike (I will post a picture when I get a digital camera).

They sound good, on the loud side but not bad when running normal RPMs. My girlfriend has Thunderheaders on her 1200 Sporty and her bike sounds awsome.

Performance feels a bit better. The Thunderheaders produced 71.5 HP and 81.3 FT/LBS of Torque on the Dyno. There was a little torque dip around 2500 RPM (something I can get worked out later when I have more time) but overall the curve looked pretty good and smooth (Torque was at or above 71 through the entire range and maxed about 4000 RPM... I don't have the Dyno numbers in front of me but if you would like more info, let me know.

I am so happy with the way they look, sound, and perform, I no longer want to get a different bike.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
there's lot of hidden notes about messing with the internal baffle to fix that dip in the various TH posts.

congrats. always good to see a Bro happy!

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Just PM GRock...he'll tell you how to bend the tabs to get rid of that notorious TH dip.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
All you do is take a long screwdriver or broom handle and bend 3 out of 4 tabs out towards the outside. Don't close them off completely, leave them about 1/8" open.

Obviously the best way to do this is on a dyno, but after researching this same thing...........3 tabs is what people all have done on their bikes.

Steve

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was checking out the Dyno graphs again last night and I made a small mistake related to the minimum Torque I had... Minimum Torque in the range that I normally ride in 2000 RPM - 4500 RPM is 71 (I originally stated it was 74). Below should give you an idea of what my curve looks like (numbers are approximate and based off my memory from last night).

* 2200 RPM = 74
* 2500 RPM = 71
* 3000 RPM = 76
* 3500 RPM = 78
* 4000 RPM = 81
* 4500 RPM = 78
* 5000 RPM = 76
* after 5000 RPM, Torque really starts to dip

Also, my AFR is a little rich from what the mechanic told me (I think it is about 13.5 (on average)).

Is the curve and AFR what you would have expected?

Also, does it matter which 3 sides of the baffles you bend out torward the outside of the pipe? Thanks.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
03fatty said:
I am so happy with the way they look, sound, and perform, I no longer want to get a different bike.:thumbsup:

Blah...Blah....Blah. Where are the pics at bud???? We want to enjoy them with ya. You're killing us over here.:spank:

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
The pictures are posted of the modded TH at the link in my previous post.

This guy had 2 tabs bent, some do 3. The best way to do it is on a dyno, but at least 2 will be bent.

No, it doesn't matter at all which 2 or 3 tabs are bent.

Steve

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
MaineUltraClassic said:
The pictures are posted of the modded TH at the link in my previous post.

This guy had 2 tabs bent, some do 3. The best way to do it is on a dyno, but at least 2 will be bent.

No, it doesn't matter at all which 2 or 3 tabs are bent.

Steve
I have TH on my Ultra. I read the posted link. Thanks for posting, Maine!!!! I'll have to share this with my tuner. None of my tabs are bent right now since they only did the inital tune. But at the 1000 mile service we'll look into bending tabs since we can raise the RPM's for the tune.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Rock Steady said:
I have TH on my Ultra. I read the posted link. Thanks for posting, Maine!!!! I'll have to share this with my tuner. None of my tabs are bent right now since they only did the inital tune. But at the 1000 mile service we'll look into bending tabs since we can raise the RPM's for the tune.
If you can, post before and after dyno runs when you do the tab mod.

That will show what affect the mod has on the numbers.

Steve

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
roofeditor said:
Where did you get the tourpack relocation kit? I'd like to move mine back 2.5 inches also. Thank you.
You order the kit from the following -

George Anderson
Moline, IL
309-762-6291

The kit costs like $95 the last I heard.

You have to call him to order, he's a great guy to deal with.

Steve

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
MaineUltraClassic said:
If you can, post before and after dyno runs when you do the tab mod.

That will show what affect the mod has on the numbers.

Steve
You got it! I'll post as soon I get it done.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
MaineUltraClassic said:
You order the kit from the following -

George Anderson
Moline, IL
309-762-6291

The kit costs like $95 the last I heard.

You have to call him to order, he's a great guy to deal with.

Steve
thank you!!!! I also found http://www.kuryakyn.com/category.asp?bn=harley&cn=Racks+_Bags

BTW where in Maine are you from? My Great Granddad owned the paper mill in Rumford Maine.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
roofeditor said:
thank you!!!! I also found http://www.kuryakyn.com/category.asp?bn=harley&cn=Racks+_Bags

BTW where in Maine are you from? My Great Granddad owned the paper mill in Rumford Maine.

The Kuryakyn kit is $200 and a bear in install. George's kit is $95 and only takes about 20 minutes to install.

I'm in Biddeford, which is in the Southern tip of the state.....about 15 miles south of Portland.

Steve

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Traceman said:
Does anyone know if this relocation kit will work with the quick detachable tourpak hardware?
Yes it will.............I just did mine a couple of weeks ago and it works fine. It's actually easier to install the detachable stuff with this kit installed.

Steve

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have TH slip-ons on my 99 Road King Classic and I love the sound and they look better with the heat shields on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.