V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after two months of being down, finally got my bike back, went for a quick 30 minute ride, got back home...oil leak...again...same spot that I had fixed (or so I thought) 6 months ago....:dunno:

what do you guys think, does your local Harley shop stand by there work? Will they repair the leak free of charge being that they worked on it before?

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
391 Posts
Oil leak???? OIL LEAK!!!??? We don't care about no stinkin' oil leak!!!!! We want to see pictures of the new paint job and we want them NOW!!!!

OK, OK, I'm alright now. I've been without my bike for over 2 months and won't get it back for two more. :badmood:

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
IndianaSteve and 01RKRiney,

who is painting your bikes? I have had an extra set of tins for two months, and can not decide on paint or a painter. It's worse than trying to choose which model bike to buy.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
01RKRiney said:
after two months of being down, finally got my bike back, went for a quick 30 minute ride, got back home...oil leak...again...same spot that I had fixed (or so I thought) 6 months ago....:dunno:

what do you guys think, does your local Harley shop stand by there work? Will they repair the leak free of charge being that they worked on it before?
I can't believe you lead with a title like that and don't show a picture but ask a question about an oil leak. That's a classic bait and switch. :nunu:

·
Registered
529 Posts
I painted 13 years for a living. If my tins were not back on the bike in two months I would have no one to blame but me.:xhere:

·
391 Posts
wvwayne said:
I painted 13 years for a living. If my tins were not back on the bike in two months I would have no one to blame but me.:xhere:
I understand but when I got quotes from 3 painter/artists on my Road Glide project, one of them estimated 300 hours. This is a little more than a color change and some flames. However, if this was the only project my selected painter was working on, it would probably be done by now.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
IndianaSteve said:
I understand but when I got quotes from 3 painter/artists on my Road Glide project, one of them estimated 300 hours.

You have to be kidding.

Is he bidding by the job by the hour?

I had new tins and fiberglass for a RK (purchased for $1600 from 20% off dealer) painted, a bunch of flames airbrushed on, then cleared. 10 weeks stem to stern, $2400.

·
391 Posts
wyodude said:
You have to be kidding.

Is he bidding by the job by the hour?

I had new tins and fiberglass for a RK (purchased for $1600 from 20% off dealer) painted, a bunch of flames airbrushed on, then cleared. 10 weeks stem to stern, $2400.
This project is a LOT more than that in details and price. However, the painter who estimated 300 hours was on the west coast and I decided on one in northern Indiana. No, it is not a 'by the hour' project. They were all to give a fixed price quote. It was just the one on the west coast wanted me to know how long he thought it would take him to do the job in actual hours.

The Indiana painter was a little lower in price and lots closer.

I had come up with a 'test' for each of them to do so I could decide who was going to do the project. That was really helpful.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry guys...

I'll get the pictures up as soon as possible, still working on getting them downloaded...

went from 'police white' to midnight blue, quite a change, but I like it..

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
$$$$

IndianaSteve said:
This project is a LOT more than that in details and price. However, the painter who estimated 300 hours was on the west coast and I decided on one in northern Indiana. No, it is not a 'by the hour' project. They were all to give a fixed price quote. It was just the one on the west coast wanted me to know how long he thought it would take him to do the job in actual hours.
300 HOURS!!!???? Wow.... Do the math on that one at even $50.00 an hour. My buddy next door builds custom bikes has less hours than that to build a COMPLETE BIKE. Must be one of those folks who do a lot of TV stuff. I'd like to get my own bike sheet metal painted AND bodyworked in a week....and that would be working it in between PAYING jobs. Still amazed...300 hours....

·
Not-so-Fatboy
1,115 Posts
But, but....... it only takes the guys on tv get their paint done in less than an hour............!drunk!

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Lets see some pics..............

·
Registered
529 Posts
I didn't have 300 hr's in my first corvette and that was take'n it down to the gel coat and bring'n it back up. You should have called Nubs, I bet he could have got you out the door before the next installment of OCC.:corn:

·
391 Posts
Two things:

1) the '300 hours' quote was from the painter I did not choose - although I think he would have done a great job.
2) I would like to appologize for somehow hijacking this post. I was only asking to see pictures and just made the comment that I wish my bike was back from the painter. I'm always interested in seeing how someone changes the look of their bike.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled requests for pictures of this newly painted bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts