V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please give me some needed advice. I had a 95 build with flat top pistons, andrews 37G cam, and a PC III done two weeks ago. I already had V&H Big Shot staggered pipes and the SE air filter with the Stage-1 flash on my 04 Fatboy. I had it dynoed today at the local HD dealership. They told me that they couldn't tune it better than the map alrealy on my PC III He told me that my problem was that I am too lean in the low range rpm's and that no matter how much he tried to make it richer it would not improve. He said that the problem was that my pipes were too "free-flowing" and therefore limiting what he could do. The Hp is 82 and the torque is 85. He said he could get me a lot more torque if I switched pipes. Is this reasonable or am I getting the run-around?

·
Registered
503 Posts
cant get it better ???????????

does he know how to use a PC ? ..........

you can always add fuel..........

probably right about pipes ..2 to 1 always best ,next best is python or V&H with connector (power chamber) 2nd best .....any 2in to 2 pipe is looks not power

you have a looks type pipe..sorry

Good Luck

STEVE THE DYNO GUY :cheers:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said that no matter how much fuel he added the A/F ratio would not come down. I don't know if this is true but before I trailer the bike 3 hours away to another dyno center I wanted to be sure this made sense

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
jims said:
Please give me some needed advice. I had a 95 build with flat top pistons, andrews 37G cam, and a PC III done two weeks ago. I already had V&H Big Shot staggered pipes and the SE air filter with the Stage-1 flash on my 04 Fatboy. I had it dynoed today at the local HD dealership. They told me that they couldn't tune it better than the map alrealy on my PC III He told me that my problem was that I am too lean in the low range rpm's and that no matter how much he tried to make it richer it would not improve. He said that the problem was that my pipes were too "free-flowing" and therefore limiting what he could do. The Hp is 82 and the torque is 85. He said he could get me a lot more torque if I switched pipes. Is this reasonable or am I getting the run-around?
I had the exact same setup, except for the stage 1 flash and I have the 37b cam.

84 hp and 94 tq. See the dyno run here.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=55969

I'm no expert, but if he is adding fuel to cells and the afr is not coming down then maybe the PC is defective or when he adds fuel it is somehow not getting saved to the map.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got dyno redone

I found a certified tuning center and they dynoed my bike yesterday and built me a custom map My hp went from 82 to 91.7 and the torque went from 85 ft lbs to 99 ft. lbs. He also got rid of the lean situation at the lower end.and umorived ri A/F tatio

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
The problem with the first dyno run is that it was done at the dealer. They seem to be very unforgivng when it comes to anything that does not start with 'Screaming Eagle". Glad you finally got it tuned properly.

Teu

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
jims said:
I found a certified tuning center and they dynoed my bike yesterday and built me a custom map My hp went from 82 to 91.7 and the torque went from 85 ft lbs to 99 ft. lbs. He also got rid of the lean situation at the lower end.and umorived ri A/F tatio

I would be raising HELL at the first dealer you took it to. 10 horsepower and 14 ft lbs. Damn retards

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
jims said:

Hey wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My tuner left 5# of torque somewhere. Damnit!!!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
jims said:
Where did you end up taking it?

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
vafatboy said:
Hey wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My tuner left 5# of torque somewhere. Damnit!!!
That 5lbs is probably the difference between the 37B and 37G. Gear drives DO make a difference.

Teu

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dcfatboy said:
Where did you end up taking it?
I took it to Performance Psycle in Knoxville Tennessee. It was the closest tuning center to me. Evidently just owning a dyno doesn't mean you know how to use it! Otherwise the HD dealership would have known how to tune. You would think the "company" could send a guy for some training.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Teufelhunden said:
That 5lbs is probably the difference between the 37B and 37G. Gear drives DO make a difference.

Teu

That statement was just tongue and cheek. There are more things than just gear vs. chain that could cause a difference.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Just another thing to chew on about the tuner at the dealer, the big shots don't free flow...ie the exhaust flow is slower than a smaller diameter pipe, its not over scavaging it is under scavaging. The tuner really knew his stuff:hystria:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts