V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Bro Hippo started a thread in another part of this forum that has started me to thinking again... and dammit it kind of hurts.

I'm going to have my cylinders bored on the FatGirl to accomodate an honest 95 cubic inches. Now, I have used Mobil 1 synth since she was 2200 miles old. Will I need to use dinosaur oil for the new break in ? If so, where will I find the dinosaurs? Who will squeeze them? What about all those all of those expensive BMW's and Corvettes that come from the factory with Mobil 1 already installed? Who exactly shot the sheriff? Was that Jimmy Hoffa on the plane next to me coming home last week? if the NOW organization managed ot get rid of all of us nutted ones, how would they reproduce? am I really normal since I had 1.0 kids instead of 2.5... and what do they do with all of those .5 kids... are my tax dollars subsidizing an ever growing herd of partial children? Since I've never met anyone who actually voted Bill Clinton, did anyone actually count the votes?

I would appreciate answers to any or all of these questions as I have had a really bad week, but... I would probably like an answer to the break in/ oil question if we have to prioritize.

Thanks much... gone riding.

Budman

·
Registered
629 Posts
1. My opinion on the break-in with dino oil is, do it to be safe. I have not found anyone yet that has proven that synthetic is bad for break in. What I have found is that it costs a lot to do all those oil changes with synthetic before you reach 1000 miles (I would do 5 changes myself, 20 minute first run, 50 miles, 250, 500, 1000). Using non syn would be much cheaper there.

2. Dinosuars can be found mostly as skeletal fossils, and as cast in mud shapes only. Try your local museum for a specimen.

3. Try to squeeze a dino bone, don't think you will get much.

4. Some cars come from the dealer with Mobil 1, but they are already broken in on a dyno, I do not know anyone who knows what is used for the actual break-in.

5. I believe it was Eric Clapton, but I heard Bob Marley say it was him to. Maybe Eric was in the depository, and Bob was on the grassy knoll :confused:

6. Can not confirm nor deny

7. Cloning is possible I am afraid.

8. No, you are not average.

9. They are the ones that get switched at birth. The .5 children are added together to make one, that is why some people have quintuplets.

10. No, see #9.

11. Please refer to the Palm Beach incident.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You must realy like to change oil. I've never had a new bike yet. But all the rebuilds I've done over the years I change it the first 1000 then 3000 after that. Longest time I had one was a shovel did top end at 25,000 started to puff alittle. Then top and lower at 50,000. And only cause I was hopping it up more. The evo had 33,000 on it when I sold it , changed it at 3,000 too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bad thought! You must use fossil oil to allow the rings to seat properly. Use synthetic oil at break in and you will screw up your motor, and will have to re-hone and install new rings.

·
Registered
629 Posts
HarleyCharley said:
Bad thought! You must use fossil oil to allow the rings to seat properly. Use synthetic oil at break in and you will screw up your motor, and will have to re-hone and install new rings.
Do you have facts to back that up? This has been argued for quite a few times, and no real answer has been found. The best explanation has been that the short oil change intervals would make synthetic costly when standard dino oil would do the job.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I would say it depends to a large degree on the honing technique used and the ring material.

If modern plateau honing and the typical high quality Hastings rings are used, don't worry about it. No problem.

·
Registered
629 Posts
fatboyryder said:
Sidewalk, Love yer v-dub. I used to drag race a '66 back in the day. still have some friends in orlando, fla that are into it. if you ever want to sell [email protected]
Thanks for the compliments, but, your going to have to pry it from my cold dead fingers :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
dino oil for the break in, use full synth thereafter......

i find dino oil from bones are not 20w-50...but more like straight weight 60....(heheh)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts