V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My '08 FLSTC has almost 7K miles on it and I am always looking around for tires. The rear tire doesn't look like it's wearing well; very disappointed. The front tire seems to be going strong. I did buy the bike used with 4600 miles on it. I ride solo and very conservatively so I can't understand why these tires are not going the distance. So I might consider replacements this spring but I want to use the Wide White Wall tire style presently installed.

So, for those that have replaced tires on their late model FLSTC, what brand and model tires did you install other than the OEM Dunlop H-D D402 tires?

If you used another brand, what brand and model and are you totally satisfied with that choice? Would you consider using the Dunlops again if you're not happy with the brand you installed?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have an 07 Deluxe, the most I've ever gotten out of a rear tire is 7500, I ride solo 99% of the time and keep a moderate check on tire pressure. My front I'm just now changeing @ 30k. Dunlop402's.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Just installed Metzers on my wife's softail, she got 10,000 miles out of her last Dunlop 402 last season. She wont have any miles on new tires till spring.
I didn't find allot of choices when looking for tires. I've had great like with Metzlers in the past.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I ride every day to work and back year round, about 80 miles round trip. I got 10K out of lop's, 9K out of Metzlers but they also started to crack on the sides, about 7.5K out of Avons, and the last 4 rears I have purchased have been Conti's and they last about 12K and ride real well. I am trying the Michelin commander 2 next time because they are supposed to last twice as long. We shall see.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I average about 10K out of tries regardless of brands. Check tire pressure frequently (weekly) and run Dyna beads in them for balancing. That being said I much prefer a stickier tire that yields a few less miles than a harder tire that lasts loner. My tires are what attach me to the road and that is far more important than saving a few dollars.

Right now I am running an Avon in the rear as they seem to be the best combination of sticky and good mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Been running avon venom x's for the last few years. My FLSTC gets about 11-13,000 on the rear and a bit more on the front. mostly solo riding. Love the way they ride. Noticed the difference right away once I changed them from the dunlops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a new Switchback in February, and before I had 2,000 miles on it, the rear tire went down on the Interstate. I was stranded in 100 degree plus weather for hours. I'm very disappointed in the Dunlop. My dealer never said what caused the tire to go down, and I got a tire warranty when I bought the bike. Anyone have similar experiences?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts