V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Dyna FXD, 10k miles - I have a 03 vstar 650 that I bought from the same dealer selling the dyna that I'd trade in. The bike is listed at 7500, and was told I'd get 2000 for mine (paid 2400 in March). Have only seen pictures of the bike, but it looks mint, going to check it out tonight. Would 6500 for the dyna and 2000 for mine be more realistic? I look on NADA and KBB, and they seem a lot lower for retail than anything I find actually for sale on other sites. The bike looks brand new online, other than chrome it looks like it has after market pipes. Will find out if any other mods tonight. Thanks!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think your $6500 and $2000 trade numbers are more reasonable figures. Accessories are not going to add any value to the bike but might make it more attractive to you. Riding season up north is just about over so the dealer probably wants to move the dyna. Unless the dealer is buried in it you should be able to negotiate something much better than advertized. Good luck.

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
I think your $6500 and $2000 trade numbers are more reasonable figures. Accessories are not going to add any value to the bike but might make it more attractive to you. Riding season up north is just about over so the dealer probably wants to move the dyna. Unless the dealer is buried in it you should be able to negotiate something much better than advertized. Good luck.
@gree:.....

·
Registered
582 Posts
@gree: too...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys- I figure if I tried to sell the Vstar on my own right now, I may be able to get 2000, but it would be tough, and I know any trade value could be inflated by what they keep on the selling price. A month after I got it last year some guy offered me 3000 and I wasn't even looking to sell it. If I were to wait til the spring, I may get more for the Vstar but Harley's will go up as well. This will be my first Harley, although I drive the woman's night rod special.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The good news is that an '01 has the forged crank and the Timken bearing. The bad new is that they've got the lousy inner cam bearings and the spring loaded cam chain tensioners. Might want to ask if they know if any of those issues have been dealt with. I just bought an '01 Wide Glide and made those repairs shortly after I got it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got to see the bike tonight. it looks as good as the pictures. has an s&s carb, vance and hines straightshots, forward controls, 2 seats, and a backrest. i know you aren't supposed to include add-ons when pricing a used bike, but i would definitely be buying a back rest, and probably forward controls - i'm 5'11. the deal is 2500 for my bike, and 7500 for the dyna. so i'm 500 off from where i wanted to be, but the backrest alone makes up for half of that! was too late to ride it, but i plan on it this weekend to finalize my decision. the bike is loaded with chrome- chrome calipers, chrome inner primary, risers, sprocket cover, stainless lines-

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
here is the bike-
Nice looking bike. I wouldn't let $500 keep me from the bike I wanted. BTW, WTF is that gray plastic in front of the bottom of the battery cover, or are my eyes seeing a reflection or something that isn't there or something on all of dynas I've never noticed?

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
It looks like there are quite a few extras/upgrades on the bike... extra chrome covers here & there. Chrome console, rear wheel, lay down lic. plate. I'd go for it at that price. Besides if you do ever sell it you'll get a heck of a lot more than you did for the'03 V-star.

·
Registered
144 Posts
got to see the bike tonight. it looks as good as the pictures. has an s&s carb, vance and hines straightshots, forward controls, 2 seats, and a backrest. i know you aren't supposed to include add-ons when pricing a used bike, but i would definitely be buying a back rest, and probably forward controls - i'm 5'11. the deal is 2500 for my bike, and 7500 for the dyna. so i'm 500 off from where i wanted to be, but the backrest alone makes up for half of that! was too late to ride it, but i plan on it this weekend to finalize my decision. the bike is loaded with chrome- chrome calipers, chrome inner primary, risers, sprocket cover, stainless lines-

Looks like a Low Rider dash was put on, spoked front wheel 21"?
Nice looking bike. You won't regret buying it.

·
WideGlide Rider
369 Posts
Nice chin spoiler down in front also to cover up the not niceties! In cant hurt to push a little harder on the other $500. Maybe stealers got somebody looking for a little v-star. Tis' the season to get a deal on a bike! BTW, how many miles?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice chin spoiler down in front also to cover up the not niceties! In cant hurt to push a little harder on the other $500. Maybe stealers got somebody looking for a little v-star. Tis' the season to get a deal on a bike! BTW, how many miles?
on the vstar? 7500. its a good bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drove the bike today- great sound, great shifting, very happy with it, and i pick it up next saturday- has an alarm too! the paint shows a lot of metal flake in the sun-

·
old biker beatch
77 Posts
That's a really nice looking bike! The numbers don't seem bad at all - and let's face it, Harley Davidson motorcycles DO hold their value at resale... I had always ridden BMW's until an extended break from riding during my first marriage (many of us have had THAT experience). Came back to riding and wanted to buy an AMERICAN motorcycle in our post-911 world so I looked around and, as you, decided a Harley Davidson was the way to go... Got comfortable on two wheels with a couple of Sportsters and decided it was time for a bike that suited me better... Decided on the Super Glide/FXD - it is simply an AWESOME bike! Glad I did - it's pure motorcycling with LOTS of low-end grunt and power all the way through. Plus, not having as much weight as other models, it really hugs the curves... You made a great choice, a wise financial decision and I hope you enjoy the heck out of it! Ride safe!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2006 fxdci

Unfortunately last month my 2001 FXD was totalled when a dumba$$ decided to turn left in front of me, causing me to skid, lay down the bike, and proceed to slide into the side of his car. Anyway, I was lucky and walked away. So now I'm looking for a replacement. I have found a 2006 FXDCI in the color I like with less than 1400 miles - Asking price is about 10k, forward controls, sissy bar. Original owner knows nothing of the bearing problem, never heard of it. I am set on getting a blue bike, and this i probably the nicest I've found. Is it worth getting with the potential problems? I don't care much about the 6 speed or fuel injection.

Thanks-

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Most people havent heard of the bearing problem but with only 1400 miles on an 06 I wouldnt worry too much right now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts