V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were some good metrics no longer being made. There was the Honda VTX 1800, Yamaha Warrior, Kawasaki Mean Streak, Honda Magna, and probably others that aren't coming to mind.

Even if a person dislikes the metrics, it is good for them to exist because the competition from them decreases the chance of HD quality going downhill.

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
I'll have to take your word for it. I don't keep up with metrics. Hell, I don't keep up with new Harleys.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I'll have to take your word for it. I don't keep up with metrics. Hell, I don't keep up with new Harleys.
Dittos.... Only metric I thought or knew was really quality is the Goldwing. My brother in law had one for about 20 years and road all over the south and eastern US with his wife (my sister) on the back. The wing always seemed to just plain run, and/but he did maintain it well. He recently sold it with around 120K on it.

I know nothing about the rice or crotch rockets, other than some are super fast. I was on the highway yesterday for a ride into town and a guy on rice hauled azz by me. I was doing around 75, and he went by me like I was standing still, really. I'd guess at least 120ish. Sound from his engine was ear piercing high RPMs, and climbing as he blew by me. Was cool to see the blur LOL

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,390 Posts
We know what we like.

joe

·
Super Moderator
19,568 Posts
Those were all VTwin clones, trying to go after the VTwin segment of the market. Which has been tough sledding. Even more so with Indian and Victory making inroads into the MoCo's territory.

I think many are shifting to the European style touring scooters, and Honda has been going after the Street Glide, Road Glide Custom segment with the stripped down wings. F6R's aren't vtwins, but they are drawing some attention.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Define good?
To me pleasing to the eye and very functional .
Honda F1 Valkyrie, Flat 6 (dynamic balanced ) One can hardly go wrong .

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Kawasaki KLR 650 has been around for 30 years, and is still being made. You can't kill them. The USMC uses it, in both gas and diesel converted. That says a lot.

Honda Goldwings and St1100/1300 models (no longer imported) are out there with over 500k miles on them.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
The Suzuki SV650 is one helluva bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I own a 1983 Honda Shadow. I ride it a few times a year and it's fun. Not sure where it stands as cool but I much prefer my Fatbob!!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Had a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 and never missed a lick, sat outside all it's life for me of 4 years.

Took in a 1977 Kawasaki KZ900 that was a beast of power but sucked as hell on comfort. The dang foot shift was so narrow between the foot peg and engine. I would have to pull my foot into the bike to shift, miserable.

later took in a 1982 Honda cb900, she smoked a little but was still quite and smooth and had the OD on it. Was good at highway and strong in between, over all best one I owned until now.

The 05 roadking I have now is the best in comfort and feel on torque. Wife is comfy on it too and so far is the only bike I have (with some errors) been able to work on. It's hypnotizing on going down the highway on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I own a 1983 Honda Shadow. I ride it a few times a year and it's fun. Not sure where it stands as cool but I much prefer my Fatbob!!

I could not agree more, I had a Kawi vn750 years ago. Sold it, missed it, found another one and bought it. I still prefer the Harley but plan on keeping the Kawasaki. It's fun to ride and not worth enough to sell.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ummm Suzuki is still making the Boulevard line of crusiers.Water cooled v-twins nice bikes I had a c50 800cc engine.Under powered for me but a nice bike the c90 is same bike with a 1500cc water cooled v-twin they are pretty nice.Then the big dog is the Boulevard M109r 1783cc water cooled.Monster power out of that thing.Almost bought one.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I think the plan with the metric V twins was to compete with Harley and in a lot of cases it helped Harley, I know a lot of Harley riders that came from more affordable metrics when they had they had the opportunity

1 - 20 of 46 Posts