V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my brakes. I have ridden all kinds of bikes and HD stock brakes by far SUCK the most. Maybe it's the weight, not sure. But I want to stop faster. What are my options verses ease of replacement. I put a floating rotor on the back with some good pads and still not what I want. What are the better brands, how many calipers work best, what if any are the mods I'll have to do to get them on? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
HD brakes are as good as if not better than any other cruiser. The best way to decrease your stopping distances would be to have dual front discs. Floating rotors will decrease warping but will not directly increase stopping power.

JMS

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
yellowFatboy200 said:
Looking to upgrade my brakes. I have ridden all kinds of bikes and HD stock brakes by far SUCK the most/Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks
S'cuse me !!!

But the thing is .......I sneeeze.. sneeeeze

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
They work for me...........
simple for servicing too.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I can lock up the front brake on my road glide fairly easily with the stock setup, what more are you looking for? I guess you could upgrade to six piston differential bore callipers for better feedback. I'm sure a matching master cylinder to match would also help things, but if you can lock up the wheel, your only as good as your traction or lack there of. Performance machine and brembo make some great stuff! Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alien, maybe that's my prob. My front brakes can't skid, I have tried to and not. Maybe just replace the master??? Any other Fatboy riders try to lock up the front and can't?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stock, single, Braided line. I have done nothing to my front brakes yet. Besides the lines that were replaced when I chromed the front end out. And I have a good grip too. Just not from squeezing pliers.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Too much information, the second brake would probably be your best bet, too bad the fork legs are already chromed. One of the forum members had a hard time getting one of their lower fork legs. Expensive solution though, lower leg, rotor, caliper, new brake lines, I'm not sure if they use the same master cylinder for single/dual disc, probably though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Before changing to Gold Lyndall's I couldn't lock the front wheel unless I squeezed so hard I thought I'd break the brake lever.Since going to the new Gold pads lockup of front or rear is possible with only about half the effort.Just the pads alone were a hell of a change. I'm saving right now for a set of their rotors,to be installed this winter.You could call Lyndall and ask what they would suggest as they are the brake experts.I'm sure they will be able to help you out.

RIDE SAFE !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts