V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should get me flamed! :D

Honda is offerring demo rides on Gold Wings and VTXs. Took a test ride on a Gold Wing yesterday. When I threw a leg over the saddle my first impression was "wow, this bike is very well balanced." Had the bike out about a half hour. The bike rode very smoothly. Great acceleration. I quickly had the 1800+cc engine up to 80 on the Freeway, felt like I was doing 40. No wind to speak of . Took it to 100 with a flip of the wrist, felt like I was doing around 60 (except that I flying by all the cars). I liked the ride. I also like the 12 C/D changer, reverse gear, great stereo, etc., etc. And I particularly liked the powerful engine, 100+ h/p stock. This was the Lexus of motorcycle rides. The Gold Wing has been described as the best touring machine in the world. It may well be just that. I read that Honda was focusing the new Gold Wing at younger riders. I don't know if that is true but I truly enjoyed the bike.

I encourage H/D to put the VRSC engine in a touring package immediately. IMHO, H/D will soon improve market position by offerring the powerful V-Rod platform in a touring machine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Goldwing

I'm new to the H-D forum and wanted to comment on this thread.I used
to own Harleys,However, in 1985 I bought a Goldwing GL1200 and never looked back.I'm now on my second Goldwing a GL1500 with 125,000 miles on it.I've toyed with the idea of buying a "Peace Officer"
dresser as I like the colors on the bike.
But, I must admit I'm not sure if I'll make the leap because I'm unsure
if the Dresser is going to perform as my Wing has.I test drove an 1800
and was knocked out by its total performance!
I like Harleys,But, think that the dealers should have a couple of
demos sitting around to try out.

I personally would like to see a water cooled V-Twin on the Dresser
,But, as stated it would probably be 20k +

Any thoughts
Masher:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
masher51, nice to see your post. We welcome all riders here.

Some traditionalists would object to a water cooled touring machine. I on the other hand believe Harley can and should appeal to a broad market including those who support water cooled engines and modern technology. If enough riders ask for those items, Harley will build them.

IMHO the VRSC family isn't a replacement for any current models. However, the family invites NEW ideas and concepts. I'll cross my fingers H/D brings out a new touring model based upon a VRSC platform. And soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ride a 2000 Ultra and I had the chance last summer to take out a Honda Goldwing 1800 Demo while my Harley was being serviced. My first impression of the bike was what an awsome engine!! I was doing over 60 mph before I knew it. I had to look at the rpm to know when to shift. You can't take it away from the bike, it has a great motor. As much as I was impressed by the engine I was equally unimpressed by the rest of the bike. I couldn't "feel" it. I had to look at the guages to know what it was doing. An in the turns it was just awful. I was trying to lean into the turns and the bike was trying to stand up straight. It felt wierd. I didn't find the wind protection as good as it is on the Harley, and the throttle was way too sensitive. Just going over a small bump would cause the bike to jerk back and forth. The cruise control worked great though to control the jerky movements. It could be that I am just not used to the drive shaft, and I suppose if I drove it for a while I could get used to it. I won't be trading in my Hog any time soon though. I think the best looking *** tourer is the Yamaha Road Star. I haven't tried that out yet. I would like to see Harley put the vrod engine in a tourer, and I imagine that will havppen in a few years. One thing that bothers me is that the price of the HD keeps going up and up and the cost of the accessories are totally out of line.

·
Registered
176 Posts
GL1800

Thanks for your honest assesmemt of the 1800 Wing.I too test drove
one and was real impressed with the power.Overall I like the bike &
haven't totally ruled one out of my future.In my post "Head Trips" I
mention some people riding other brands with H-D on their mind.
I'm one of those folks who keep thinking of returning to H-D.My
ast one was a 1979 Dresser and I swore after that thing I would
never own another Harley.But, I know they've improved by leaps &
bounds so I would be more willing to try one now.
You mentioned good looking *** cruisers.I like the Intruder LC 1500.

Anyway, the important thing is to ride 2 wheels
Stay Safe
Masher:cool:

·
Registered
695 Posts

After waiting and saving a very long time, I'm bummed out big time. I have a 2003 on order and just looked at Harley's website. I am feeling real down about the whole mess. I was thinking that Harley would produce an ultra special bike but instead they're offering SH*& I can't even stand to look at. I'm canceling my order and going back to foreign cruisers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
New "100th" Hawgs

I also checked the new 03s out and all I noticed was a couple new
colors and tank emblem.Did I miss something?

BTW> I'm PO'd at Honda for not offering more options with their new
wings.

Its all about the $$$$ for all of them.
Ride Safe
Masher

·
Registered
695 Posts
After some logical thought (after I got my head clear) I came to the conclusion that I made posted some irrational comments. I've always wanted a Harley and just now was able to buy one. I can always find a good deal on a foreign bike. I still like riding my foreign touring bikes and plan to keep them. I've just got to know what it feels like to own / ride a brand new Harley.

·
Registered
176 Posts
New Bikes

cox9000
I know how ya feel about getting a new H-D.I never owned a new one.
Had three used ones but, as I've said two were AMFs and one was a
1956 Panhead Dresser.(I should have kept that!)

Oh well, I love anything on two wheels(Mostly) Its in the wind that is
important.

Ride Safe
Masher:)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cox9000 said:
After some logical thought (after I got my head clear) I came to the conclusion that I made posted some irrational comments. I've always wanted a Harley and just now was able to buy one.
<snip>

We all have made "irrational comments" at one time or another. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
pasadenajim said:
We all have made "irrational comments" at one time or another. Don't worry about it.
Not me, I'm a saint :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
It is a 2000 Buell Lightening X1. All of the details are listed on my site (click the Buell link in my sig).

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sidewalk,
Going to your website turned out to be a very interesting reading experience. It must be a thrill to ride this bike, very nice!

·
Registered
629 Posts
It is a real kick! I have the torque of a built HD, and the handling of a Ducati, how can you go wrong?

I look forward to owning a Road Glide in the future, then I will have the best of both worlds :cool:

·
Registered
629 Posts
There are 3 basic models in the touring family, the Road Glide, Road King, and Electra Glide. I am split between the Road Glide (nice large fairing), Electra Glide (I really like the looks) and a retired police Road King (price).

Road Glide:

Electra Glide:

Road King:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Wow! That's really more than I hoped for, Thanks. My wife wanted me to get a touring bike but my last 2 big bikes have been touring bikes -- not Harleys. I got great deals on both bikes. Anyway I decided (actually it was "we") to go with the wide glide and tour with it but I have to say that I really do like the Electra Glide the best.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
I believe the only major difference between the Electra Glide is the fairing and the seat, and the RK's EFI. The RK has a detachable fairing, and the laced wheels w/ wide whitewalls and leather bags. And of course, the badging on the tank.

OH, and the price of course. The RK hits you a little harder in the pocket book!

·
Registered
695 Posts
dprice,
Thanks for breaking them down like that, you made it even easier for me to know which one I'd want -- still stuck on Electra Glide.
I just now noticed where you are. Most of my kin folk live there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts