V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are limitations to the 100th Anniversary Gold Key packages? Does each stealer only get a limited number of them to sell?

·
Registered
135 Posts
That is what my dealer told me. Although, I am not sure I believe them.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Why would you think the dealer made that up? Most I know like to sell stuff.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yes, they are limited items that each dealer only gets a certain amount of for each style of bike as each package is different based on the bike you purchase.

And yes, the key actually works, at least mine does...:D

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
My wife works for local dealer and said they are limited. My key works too although my Gold key is actually antiqued brass. I keep mine in a display case with my other collectables.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The way I understand it a particular 2003 bike is designated a Gold Key model and thats that. You don't decide that you want it as an add-on when you buy it. And I believe everything that MY stealer says. BTW: He had a pair of Hitler's personal cuff links for sell, too. Little swastikas.
Gene P.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Bepopham,

That is what my dealer said as well, they had a gold key Fat Boy on the floor for sale. Said they had several interested in it, but wanted it without the windshield and bags. They weren't willing to break it up.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Hmmm When I bought my 03 RK and all other bikes on showroom floor the Gold Key package was a option. They had installed it on a couple of bikes but thats it. I bought it left everything in the box. That way everything will be fresh when I sell or trade. Those holographic emblems look nice but fragle.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yep - same here - gold key package is DEFINITELY an option - I didn't want the key or the cover for my rkc, so just order the emblems and shield bags - had no problem picking and choosing out of the 'o3 accessory catalogue.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The packages are allocatted. I could not get the package (key and all), for my bike, there was only one package allocated for my model and it was already gotten by someone else, so I just got the stuff I wanted as single items.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
It is up to the dealer how he sells his Gold Key packages. My local dealer, Seaford Harley Davidson, sells them on a first come first served basis. He does not install them on the bike and then tell you take it or leave it. Some dealers however install them on the bike and if you want the bike you take the Gold Key package like it or not. My dealer sells MSRP plus about $500.00 frieght and set up. I would suspect any dealer who installs and says take it or leave it probably also sell well above MSRP and have inflated the Gold Key package as well. If a dealer chooses to install the Gold Key package and requires you to buy it if you want the bike that is fine. It is up to his discretion. However if he tells you that is how he has to sell them then he is full of sh_t and I would tell him so. It is his discretion and not a mandate from Harley Davidson that he chooses to sell that way. All items in the Gold Key package can be ordered seperately however if you want the Gold Key you have to buy the package but you shouldn't be forced to buy it just because you want a certian bike. Only the Gold Key package is limited. The individual items in the package are available in the catalog.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Right, depends on the dealer, but if the last S/B Fat Boy of his year comes in with a Gold Key and he let's the bike go without the package, he may get stuck with a $2K Gold Key Package unsold

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
NCFatBoy said:
Right, depends on the dealer, but if the last S/B Fat Boy of his year comes in with a Gold Key and he let's the bike go without the package, he may get stuck with a $2K Gold Key Package unsold
That is true also but if the dealer is telling you he "has" to sell that way he is full of sh_t and trying to rip you off. I think the demand for the Gold Key packages far out weighs the supply and any dealer in a situation where he might get stuck with one is few and far between. Our local dealer was sold out of all of his sometime ago and apparently so are a lot of other dealers as the local dealer here has recieved many calls form other dealers wanting to buy any Gold key packages he may have still available. I know this for a fact because my wife works there and has taken some of these calls.Our dealer wouldn't have sold them though even if he had them as he knows his customers wanted them.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
NCFatBoy said:
There is no shipment of package with bike ,dealer orders the kit seperate. According to my dealer. Who knows what goes on behind the curtain:cool:

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I ordered my silver and black deuce I requested the gold key package. I was told I would have to get on a waiting list for the package. My bike came in and no gold key package. So, I called a different dealer and asked if I could buy a gold key package they said "sure no problem." However, when they realized I did not buy my bike from them they would not sell it to me. So, luckily I left my name on the waiting list of the dealer I got my bike from and it just came in last week. Im going to install it in the spring 7 months after I got the bike. It is definitly an option added by the dealer the bike does not have to be ordered with or without the package.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Deuce442,

I don't think you can order a bike with it.. The Dealer doesn't know if the bike will come in with it or not. The bike just shows up with it. They can do what they like with it (install and sell bike and Gold Key or sell the Gold Key separate).

·
Registered
268 Posts
NCFatBoy said:
Deuce442,

I don't think you can order a bike with it.. The Dealer doesn't know if the bike will come in with it or not. The bike just shows up with it. They can do what they like with it (install and sell bike and Gold Key or sell the Gold Key separate).
I did not order the bike with it. I said I requested the package when I ordered the bike. All it is is a seperate accesories package. My bike came as a two-tone deuce. The dealer was getting in a limited number of gold key packages for a two tone deuce. I was on the waiting list for the package and I got one. They just sent Harley my vin to cut the key. I went and picked up the package (still in four large boxes). Simple as that.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
NCFatBoy said:
Deuce442,

Not true. The dealer knows exactly how the bike will arrive....without a Gold Key Package. No bike is shipped with a Gold Key or any other accessory installed. No bike is tied to a Gold Key package unless the dealer installs it and sells it that way. His descretion only but he dosen't have to sell it that way.

·
Registered
268 Posts
utrvp said:

Not true. The dealer knows exactly how the bike will arrive....without a Gold Key Package. No bike is shipped with a Gold Key or any other accessory installed. No bike is tied to a Gold Key package unless the dealer installs it and sells it that way. His descretion only but he dosen't have to sell it that way.
That is exactly my understanding too!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ditto. The Gold Key package is an accessory with a part number, subject to availability. However, any part in a specific model's package is available separately, with the exception of the key itself, which cannot be bought separately. You want a key, you have to buy the whole package. Now, you may see bikes on the floor with the "package", but more than likely it just has the individual components installed by the dealer, and w/o the key to come with it. If a bike includes the key and all, that means the dealer opted to accessorize that particular bike with the total package, or a customer bought a bike and package and backed out. No bike comes with the package from the factory.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts