V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this wise? It's an '02 Road Glide. I recently put new wheels on it, but you can't see them. I'd like to open up the right side of the front wheel, like a softail. The plan is to go with a Brembo on the left side, and remove the mount from the right. Anyone done this? Will I lose any stopping power or feel doing this? That's the last thing I want as the brakes on HDs are already marginal at best. If I proceed, are there any tips out there?

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Just takin a shot and will say you should be fine. Road Glide weighs about 100 pounds more than a Wideglide so a nice 4 piston Brembo should be plenty of stopping power for you. I don't know what else you may need to do to the right side of the wheel but can't think of anythng except make sure you get a good balance on your wheel after removing the disc. Not sure if that's even necessary. Do you plan on Brembo rear too...and braided lines? Good luck.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Went with 13" rotors and a 6 piston caliper on a road king,and it stopped better the stock IMO. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will probably stay with a stock rear setup and just change the pads to Lyndall. Will braided line on front help?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I think there is a reason H-D put dual front disks on the touring bikes. You don't weigh down a Softail or Dyna the way you do a touring bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OLDBIKE, That's what I figured the MOCO did the dual front thing for, but I was hoping that 1 superior Brembo would be better than 2 factory units.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
MiracleMax01 said:
Will probably stay with a stock rear setup and just change the pads to Lyndall. Will braided line on front help?
The stainless braided lines won't expand...so all the pressure goes to the pistons vice losing some to line expansion. Probably not a big deal but I have read posts in here that talk about soft front brakes and advice is given to go to stainless braided. Check out www.magnumshielding.com if you decide to change out...not to mention they make great looking products.

You will need to be cautious, as "thatoldbike" said....about your loads. Get real familiar with the stopping power before loading up for a trip to Alaska. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
MiracleMax01 said:
OLDBIKE, That's what I figured the MOCO did the dual front thing for, but I was hoping that 1 superior Brembo would be better than 2 factory units.
As long as it's sized correctly it should be ok. Just because it's Brembo it won't make you stop better or faster if it's undersized.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts