V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going to two sets of Dunlop's as replacement tires. I'm looking to go with Metzelers, for my next tire replacement. What is the best size other than stock for the rear that will fit my Model I have a 1998 Road King Classic FLHRCI.? Also I want to stick with the wide white wall. I should be getting my wheels back from Buchanan’s hopefully next week. Got some Stainless Steel Polished Spokes put in. Then I want to try a different tire other than Dunlop’s. I would appreciate any advice and recommendations on Model number, style etc...
Thanks All,
Sparky

·
Turgid member
1,941 Posts
sparky88 said:
After going to two sets of Dunlop's as replacement tires. I'm looking to go with Metzelers, for my next tire replacement. What is the best size other than stock for the rear that will fit my Model I have a 1998 Road King Classic FLHRCI.? Also I want to stick with the wide white wall. I should be getting my wheels back from Buchanan’s hopefully next week. Got some Stainless Steel Polished Spokes put in. Then I want to try a different tire other than Dunlop’s. I would appreciate any advice and recommendations on Model number, style etc...
Thanks All,
Sparky
Go to their website. They have a section that talks about "upgrades" for your motorcycle. It will tell you how big a tire they recommend for your bike.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Go to their site.
They gots a gee-whiz chart that lists what will fit. Be careful of load ratings, though. Timbo posted that somewhere...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
O.K, thanks for replies. I have more questions. The Stage-I from the Metzeler site says :

STAGE 1 TIRE UPGRADE
Explanation:
The Metzeler Stage 1 upgrade helps you improve the mileage, ride, handling, and looks without modifying your bike. A true BOLT-ON upgrade for everyone!

Type of motorcycle: HARLEY-DAVIDSON
Model: 94-98 FLHR FLHRCI 1340 ROAD KING

Results

ME 880 MARATHON
Front 130/90-16 M/C 67H TL ME880 FRONT - 38 PSI - 3.0 INCHES
Rear 140/90B16M/C REINFTL 77H ME880 - 44 PSI - 3.0 INCHES

Question-#-1 Are the above tire sizes stock replacement sizes for Model: 94-98 FLHR FLHRCI 1340 ROAD KING

Question-#-2 Are the above sizes larger replacement sizes for Model: 94-98 FLHR FLHRCI 1340 ROAD KING.

Question-#-3 If they are larger sized tires has anyone installed them without any difficuties to the stock swing arm, and how do you like them.

Sorry for being so long winded,
Thanks Again, Ride Safe,
Sparky88

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
sparky88 said:
O.K, thanks for replies. I have more questions. The Stage-I from the Metzeler site says :

STAGE 1 TIRE UPGRADE
Explanation:
The Metzeler Stage 1 upgrade helps you improve the mileage, ride, handling, and looks without modifying your bike. A true BOLT-ON upgrade for everyone!

Type of motorcycle: HARLEY-DAVIDSON
Model: 94-98 FLHR FLHRCI 1340 ROAD KING

Results

ME 880 MARATHON
Front 130/90-16 M/C 67H TL ME880 FRONT - 38 PSI - 3.0 INCHES
Rear 140/90B16M/C REINFTL 77H ME880 - 44 PSI - 3.0 INCHES

Question-#-1 Are the above tire sizes stock replacement sizes for Model: 94-98 FLHR FLHRCI 1340 ROAD KING

Question-#-2 Are the above sizes larger replacement sizes for Model: 94-98 FLHR FLHRCI 1340 ROAD KING.

Question-#-3 If they are larger sized tires has anyone installed them without any difficuties to the stock swing arm, and how do you like them.

Sorry for being so long winded,
Thanks Again, Ride Safe,
Sparky88
Load rating on the front should be at least a 72H. I don't think the 140 will fit on your bike unless you are already running the Dunlop MU85. Check out Avons.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Running a metzler 140 on RKC

Tire fits nicely on my 99 RoadKing and hugs the road. I got about 1000 miles on my new set and have no problems. Go For It!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
amidaeus, thanks.
But I think in 99 they upgraded the rear axle to a 1"inch from 3/4". I'm pretty sure.
But I don't know if the swing arm was modified?? Anyone know???
Has anyone put the 140/90B on a 94-98 Road King???
The spec chart is shows for 94-98 Road King 140/90B16 ME880
Looks like 99-03 has the same size as the 94-98 Road King 140/90B16 ME880
Thanks for your replies, sorry for being so anal, but I'd hate to put the 140 on and have to take it off, take it back and do it all over again with a 130.
Sparky88

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
sparky88 said:
amidaeus, thanks.
But I think in 99 they upgraded the rear axle to a 1"inch from 3/4". I'm pretty sure.
The spec chart is shows for 94-98 Road King.
Thanks for your replies, sorry for being so anal, but I'd hate to put the 140 on and have to take it off, take it back and do it all over again with a 130.
Sparky88
Measure the width of the tire you have on there now and then take the measurement of the 140. Subtract the difference and then divide it by two. Take that dimension that is left over and see if you have than much room left between the belt guard and the tire. If you do have extra room it will fit. I think the 94-98 Road Kings have a wider belt than the new ones. So if you are going to have a problem it will be at the belt guard.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
sparky88 said:

STAGE 1 TIRE UPGRADE
Explanation:
They BOLT those tires on?! :huh:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
sparky88 said:
amidaeus, thanks.
The spec chart is shows for 94-98 Road King 140/90B16 ME880
Looks like 99-03 has the same size as the 94-98 Road King 140/90B16 ME880
Sparky88

Don't know the answer to the difference in the swingarms. I have about 1/8" clearence between my belt guard and the Metzler. I would bet money it would fit. Measure your width of your Dunflop and the spacing to your beltguard. I will measure mine this evening and post the info for comparison if you like. :duh?: oh wait!! It's 72 friggen degrees out. I gotta RIDE!
J/K I'll take the measurments if ya want.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
amidaeus said:
Don't know the answer to the difference in the swingarms. I have about 1/8" clearence between my belt guard and the Metzler. I would bet money it would fit. Measure your width of your Dunflop and the spacing to your beltguard. I will measure mine this evening and post the info for comparison if you like. :duh?: oh wait!! It's 72 friggen degrees out. I gotta RIDE!
J/K I'll take the measurments if ya want.
And your's is a 99 and his is a 98. Being as they made some changes in the 99 model from the 98 he is better off just measuring his own bike. Since he is buying tires to fit his bike and not yours. Don't you think?

·
Registered
304 Posts
wkohn
So... Do you know what changes were made??? The only thing we have determined is that the axle is different. That is why I suggested comparing so we could see if there were differences in other places. Just trying to help. If you know the differences, speak up...

Sparky, Still willing to compare the measurments if you want. Also measure the width of you belt. I also think you can trust Metzlers site if they say they will fit.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
amidaeus said:
wkohn
So... Do you know what changes were made??? The only thing we have determined is that the axle is different. That is why I suggested comparing so we could see if there were differences in other places. Just trying to help. If you know the differences, speak up...

Sparky, Still willing to compare the measurments if you want. Also measure the width of you belt. I also think you can trust Metzlers site if they say they will fit.
Think the 98 has a 1.5 belt and 99 has a 1.25.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, my belt is 1.5 inches. Also I already have the wheel off the bike so I can't get a measurement. I had Polished Stainless Steel Spokes put on her from Buchanan's. Looks great. That's why I axed if anyone has a 140/90B16 ME880 on a stock 94-98 Road King.
Also need to find some cool weights when I get the wheels balanced.
Thanks for your time and replies,
Spark88

I like that A true bolt on......LOL

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
sparky88 said:
Yeah, my belt is 1.5 inches. Also I already have the wheel off the bike so I can't get a measurement. I had Polished Stainless Steel Spokes put on her from Buchanan's. Looks great. That's why I axed if anyone has a 140/90B16 ME880 on a stock 94-98 Road King.
Also need to find some cool weights when I get the wheels balanced.
Thanks for your time and replies,
Spark88

I like that A true bolt on......LOL
Spark,

Somewhere on this forum is a list of what is needed to convert an older Touring bike over to a 140 tire. Try doing a search.

Bill

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Spark,

Look for a member by the name of Seahag. I think he has done this mod.

Bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts