V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a good passenger bike, and even if i put the pegs back on the VTR1k, its still too much of a dedicated hooligan bike to be really comfortable for a passenger, so I have been keeping my eyes open for a good deal, and one appeared.

a 2004 Yamaha FZ1: a reworked R1 racebike engine in a standard frame motorcycle. 80 lbs of torque, 120 rear wheele horse power, fantasticly stiff chassis, fully adjustable suspension, and comfy accomodations for rider and passenger. the riding position for pilot and passenger is bolt upright, which is great for passengers, and allows all day riding.

its happy to burble along in traffic, and will also do 150mph if called upon. my VTR1k really wanted to wheelie everywhere, all hooligan. this bike is... mature.

its maybe a little too mature. for one its dam quiet. the VTR registers on siesmic monitors on quam, and im in oakland. just putting a loud exhaust wont do the trick, because its... a four cylinder.

hm. i had planned to sell the mighty v-twin to pay for the new bike, but i jsut cant bring myself to.

i think im a dedicated vtwin rider. we will see how dedicated when the bills come.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Geez...guess I'm old but it looks just as uncomfortable as any other "sport bike"...as you see I have this "they all look alike to me" thing going on...but I refuse to sound like my parents and say that thing is dangerous...150 mph...go to your room!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Strangley, I don't even want to go fast anymore....unless I'm on a race track. It's just not the same unless you can push it all the way, drag knees and ****, and generally let it all hang out without having to worry about laws, traffic, and hard immovable objects. I guess I'm just getting old. The public roads are really quite fun at HD (mostly legal) speeds. On the track it's full on sport bike all the way. I rode a an FZ-1 quite a bit. Nice bike but unless I was twisting it was just ho hum. The new one's really hot too. But again, I'll just save it for the track and ride a true sport bike there. -2$en#e-

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep swmnkdinthervr, that is the idea, one bike to use on the commute and at the track. its not a focussed track bike, obviously, but versitile enough to do it for the frequency that I go. I sold my GSXR becuase it didnt have enough streetability for commuting on. This bike strikes a more commute friendly balance while still having that great R1 engine.

Ah Sprung, they do sorta look alike if one isnt familiar, but the riding position on this bike is closer to the old CHP bikes, or the current BMW ones some departments have. not quite the "sit up and beg" doggie position, but more just neutral, not crouched over the tank, and not cruiser sway-backed. upright. I recall testing a dyna low rider with almost similar ergos, but that was a long time ago. The pointy bikini faring might make it look racier than it actually is.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Which Harley you gonna ride?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
berserker said:
Which Harley you gonna ride?
Harley? None. I like 'em enough, but my preferences lean toward the sporty end of the spectrum, and thus my V-twin is a VTR1000. A sportbike made for the street.

Its just not passenger friendly, which is why I picked up the FZ1. I am now trying to figure out how to justify keeping both, as I love the stronking V-twin power that the VTR has. oddly the FZ1 has more power (and torque) but there is something magnificent in the VTR that i cant let go of, yknow, if i had to explain it and all....

I considered a harley, mostly the FXD family, or maybe a stripped FLH, but the lack of lean angle (we have some great roads out here), gentle stock performance (i dont mind making a few changes to any bike, but i dont want to _have_ to), and other issues (weight/im not really a cruiser/nostalgia guy) push the VTR ahead of it. whether the FZ1's all around capability can overcome my love for the VTR's 90 degree vtwin magnificence is the question i am facing, hence the reference to turning to the dark side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts