V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace my Honda Superhawk (v-twin 996cc sportbike) with a dyna low rider.

I want to learn all about the inner workings of these bikes. Like, "Where's the clutch located?" I just recently learned the primary drive is a chain- I've been watching too much "american chopper" and thought they all used belt drives. Where's the best place on the net to learn this stuff? I know how to rebuilt a japanese bike, but no idea how the layout on a harley works with the separate tranny, oil tank, etc.

thanks.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the fourm. I guess the best place to start is to get a service manual and parts manual for the year Dyna you want. The manuals have great pics and details that you may be looking for as far as learning. If ya can't find what your looking for there, you've come to the right place for asking questions. Post up often and enjoy.

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
:welcome: A Harley is the most straight forward-easy to work on and maintain bike there is. Behind the front of the primary is the engine. Behind the rear of the primary is the tranny. The clutch is inside the rear of the primary,behind the derby cover.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
As jockeyshift stated,,,,,,,,get a factory service and parts manual.

Leave them in the bathroom, next to the bike magazines. LOL

:coffee:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Hey there zimm,here's a picture of the inside of a Harley big twin primary.
It clearly shows the chain from the crankshaft back to the clutch basket on the trans shaft.
Get a service manual,it will explain how to take it apart and put it back together with exploded views of all the parts.
I recomend the Harley factory service manual available at your local dealer.
Y2K:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.