V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Ultra. The dealer put the stage I parts on; SE air cleaner and SE slip ons. Other than that, totally stock. They hooked the SRT up and tuned it on the dyno. Bike runs great without any problems. My question is: for long trips (sometimes I go out for a couple of weeks) can I put the stock slips ons back on (or maybe the touring mufflers) without having to reprogram the ECM with the SRT? I like the SE slip ons, but on long trips the sound gets to me, so I'm hoping I can flip back and forth. Thanks for any help.

Byron

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
The ECM is programmed for one setup, not both. The bike won't ride right when the ECM isn't setup right. Could cause engine damage. If you have the $$ I'd get it tuned to both setups and save the files. So when you want one setup, load that file into the ECM, and when you want the other, load that file etc. Its alot of work when you just want to ride.

Another route would be to get different pipes. Ones that aren't so loud on the long hawl, but give enough noise to keep you happy when cruising. Of course get the bike tuned to fit those pipes too.

Personally, I always wear ear plugs when I go a ride thats longer then 10 minutes. Not cause of the noise from the bike, but from the wind noise. Ringing in ears after a ride is not a good thing... You'd be surprised how well it works at canceling out the noise you don't want to hear (wind in my case, your pipes in yours) but allow the noises you want to hear through (other cars etc). Try it and see how it feels. Good luck...

--Rob

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
you may also try a little more foam in the ear area of your helmet. or an ipod with helmet speakers!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Not the expert on SERT (check the sticky for SERT explanation from Springer), but logic would tell me that you need to replace the map developed for you set up with the original file when you go back to the near stock setting. With stock pipes and a map for free flowing exhaust you could run rich causing all kinds of issues on a long trip. Not as dangerous as running lean though

BTW Welcome to the forum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts