V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 SuperGlide is going in the shop tomorrow. It's got what has been called the typical twin cam rattle or tapping or whatever. The wrench listenend to it today and was having a tough time putting his finger on the exact problem so they want to remove, at the very least, the rocker boxes to get a better idea of whats causing the tapping. The noise gotten louder since I bought the bike a year ago. It only got 2500 miles on it. Any ideas?

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
I'm not sure either....... I have an 01 myself and I can hear what I think is the valve train all the time (tikka tikka tikka) It's been the same since I brought it home. Now I'm going to listen a little closer. post the results when you get them, I'm interested in what they say.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
I have 2001 RK that rattles like a Mofo!!!! Over 18,000 miles but been doing it from day one. Dealer said, "If it gets any louder, let us know and we'll check it out."

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Unome said:
"If it gets any louder, let us know and we'll check it out."

Properly translated: "Wait until the Warranty is up and then bring it in."

Bla HAhahahaha ICoildNotHelpMyself HA!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually when I told the dealer that my warranty runs out next month, he advised me to let them check it out just in case there is something wrong. I could stand tikka-tikka-tikka but I can't stand TIKKA-TIKKA-TIKKA. It gets really loud at a sustained speed, for instance 30-35 mph. They have it scheduled for Wed morning. I'll let you know.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
JimmyK said:
Properly translated: "Wait until the Warranty is up and then bring it in."
Bla HAhahahaha ICoildNotHelpMyself HA!
You are correct, JimmyK.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wyodude, I have to work to pay for the thing. My welfare and food stamps ran out. I live about a mile from work so riding to and from work would probably do more damage than good.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
dave51 said:
I live about a mile from work so riding to and from work
When you leave in the morning, turn left instead of right (right/left whatever) About a mile or 2 down the road hang another left anon..................ya might get ta clock some miles up an get in for the 10'oclock coffee break! :D
Or end up back in your drive! :eek:

·
Registered
129 Posts
dave51 said:
My 01 SuperGlide is going in the shop tomorrow. It's got what has been called the typical twin cam rattle or tapping or whatever. The wrench listenend to it today and was having a tough time putting his finger on the exact problem so they want to remove, at the very least, the rocker boxes to get a better idea of whats causing the tapping. The noise gotten louder since I bought the bike a year ago. It only got 2500 miles on it. Any ideas?
Dave , the stock Harley lifters are a poor design , we tested the stock lifters and Jims powerglides , the stock lifters bleed too much oil out of the lifter body and very little oil finds it's way to the rocker gear , we found that the noise was from the rocker gear , when we changed the lifters ,the rocker gear was much quieter having a cushion of oil .
Crane small block chevy lifter internals fit the stock Harley lifter bodies , It's been reported that this works well and is an inexpensive fix .
Regards . X .

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are the chances they will replace the lifters? Even the owner of the shop admitted it was way to loud. Pretty good wrench himself.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You do not have to switch the internals from the Crane lifters, they have a complete lifter that is a direct replacement. The lifters that HQ sells to minimize the noise actually are Crane lifters.
If you buy the Crane lifters in the 16 pack as intended for small block Chevy's they end up costing about 11 or 12 bucks a piece.

The latest HD lifters, with the -B part number are as good as any.

One thing that does as much as anything to minimize noise is to use the Feuling oil pump, but it has a small tendency to sump.

None of these remedies is guaranteed to eliminate the noise. As you disassemble and measure engine components you start to find discrepancies in different areas. It is after all a inexpensive production engine (despite of what they charge for it)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got off the phone with the dealer. Service mgr said there is a problem with a rocker arm bracket. Must not be a common problem because they haven't ordered one in over two years. They had to order this one. 5 days to get it. He also said something about the lower rocker box plate (???) being half of the thickness it should be. Nothing was said about the lifters, so HD apparently does not accept the notion that their lifters suck. Won't know the results until sometime next week.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just picked up my bike. Rocker arm support had some play in it. Quietened it down considerably. Now I can hear the valve train tapping away. Just as it should. The exhaust crossover also had a leak/rattle. They replaced the gasket. Back on the road.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
dave51 said:
Just picked up my bike.
Glad you're sorted out an back feelin the breeze. ;)

Now ya can put some miles on that baby!

heres a hint.... :D When you leave for work in the morning, turn left instead of right (right/left whatever) About a mile or 2 down the road hang another left anon..................ya might get ta clock some miles up an get in for the 10'oclock coffee break! :D :D :D

Kidding with ya man...;) Be safe!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts