V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still lusting after an 06 Street Glide real bad. My current bike is an 03 Fatboy, SE Heads, 95", Woods TW-5G Cams, Thunderheader, SE Ignition, chromed everything including polished chrome solid disk wheels, with 23K miles. It really really runs strong and smooth as silk. I know I'll get hit hard even if I sell the bike outright, but I'm thinking of making the move anyway to get the SG. The most I would be able to do out of the gate would do the 95", but discussions sake, if I bought it with the stock motor, everything, how bummed would I be after riding my bike? I mean would the stock 88 feel like it couldn't get out of it's own way?

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I know whenever I ride a stock demo bike I think, "Man, I'm sure glad this isn't my bike." because of the stock engine. But you can always do it all over again.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
JagmanR said:
I mean would the stock 88 feel like it couldn't get out of it's own way?
Yes, but think of how much fun you'll have with all the new projects:cheers:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Just going from a Fatboy to a Streetglide is going to make you feel that way. Two completely different rides. But, like the others said, look at all the fun you're going to have building it up.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
JagmanR said:
I'm still lusting after an 06 Street Glide real bad. My current bike is an 03 Fatboy, SE Heads, 95", Woods TW-5G Cams, Thunderheader, SE Ignition, chromed everything including polished chrome solid disk wheels, with 23K miles. It really really runs strong and smooth as silk. I know I'll get hit hard even if I sell the bike outright, but I'm thinking of making the move anyway to get the SG. The most I would be able to do out of the gate would do the 95", but discussions sake, if I bought it with the stock motor, everything, how bummed would I be after riding my bike? I mean would the stock 88 feel like it couldn't get out of it's own way?
I think you'll be devastated by the lackluster performance. I know I was when I brought my FLHT home. Have you thought of adding a dragonfly fairing or similar to your fatboy to give it a racy bagger look?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Its not only going to a stock motor, its a heavier bike. So it will be even worse.

Good news about the '06 though, the 95" kit with a cam might get you close to your old numbers since the '06 heads are different. Might not need to port them right away. Might want to look for a "used" Streetglide. There are people that buy these things every day and sink a ton of money into them, ride them 500 miles and then sell them at a loss. If you're patient, I think you could do very well.

·
Recon
839 Posts
I did exactly that and I am surprised at the power the SG has stock...totaly stock. I think I am gonna ride it that way a while on this one! The fatboy was fun to pump but I am more laid back now.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Don't even think about it........... Rented a 2005 stock Heritage in Hawaii for me and the OL, after about 5 minutes she asked:' Is there something wrong with this bike? It sounds funny and doesn't move' She is not technical at all.
'Nuff said

·
Registered
927 Posts
You really should rent one for a weekend and see if you like it. That said, if you are spending the cash to spring for a new one, what's an extra couple grand to build the engine of your dreams for it?

·
Registered
250 Posts
What kind of riding do you do? Sounds like you actually ride since you have 23K on a 2003 bike.

If most of your riding is long trips, you will enjoy a 745 lb 'road sofa' with its smooth ride, great radio, huge saddlebags, and creature comforts.

If most of your riding is back and forth to work, you may be pleased with the batwing fairing (protection from the elements) and nimble handling.

If your primary goal is bragging rights at the local saloon, keep what you got. Lighter is faster.

But if your goal is speed, get a rice rocket and be done with it - lots faster and costs far less.

The best bet may be to invest a little time in riding and comparing a stock FB with a stock SG. Then you will be able to choose and never second-guess your decision. Parting with a bike you love for a new bike is tough!

JMHO

PS - Get the SG, turn up the radio, lay back and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Seahag said:
I think you'll be devastated by the lackluster performance. I know I was when I brought my FLHT home. Have you thought of adding a dragonfly fairing or similar to your fatboy to give it a racy bagger look?
This is exactly what I was thinking.

You know the price of some hard bags and a fairing will be cheaper than moding your new street glide.

I have a road king standard, but really want an ultra because of the radio and the fairing. But with the work I've done on the RK and the "bond" I got with my iron horse, I can't trade her in on something new.

Guess what's on my Christmas list next year? Paint to match fairing. (along with a few other things... :D)

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
It depends on you.

I own a 97 Wideglide with 92 hp / 97 tq and an 05 Roadglide.
Over the last year I put 11,000 miles on the RG and 4000 on the FXDWG.

I had the 95" done over the winter because I do want better performance, but the bike really wasn't that bad stock. There were a couple of times in the mountains I wished I had more power, but that was pretty rare.

If you are an absolute speed nut you will want more, but like others said, think of all the fun planning and building the new engine up.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I have a 06 Street Glide that is basically bone stock, and a custom chopper with 113ci S&S. Of course the Street Glide pales by comparison to the chopper when it comes to horsepower, but I couldn't care less. I am NEVER disappointed when I am sitting in comfort at 70 mph listening to a CD and enjoying life. Hell I'd sell that chopper in a heartbeat if I had to make the choice between the 2 bikes......

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Seems many people like to always advocate getting a new bike....I've always felt "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"....or in this case "a bike in my garage, is worth two at the dealer":hystria:

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I fit your question to a T. I had a 2000 Lowrider and if you look at the dyno you can see the fun. I traded it for a 2005 Road King Classic. Quite a difference, but I really like the ride of the King. I average about 10K a year on the bike, so the King will be more enjoyable on the road, but around town, it is very different. However, I really like the king, and it gets more looks than the LR ever did. The thing I really miss is leaving the rice rockets in the dust.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Seahag said:
Seems many people like to always advocate getting a new bike....I've always felt "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"....or in this case "a bike in my garage, is worth two at the dealer":hystria:
I normally agree take that money and put into existing bike. But this is little differant softail to touring bike. Now it if it was touring bike to differant model toruing bike would say put the money into what you got.

I would look for something used. That way you won't feel bad ripping apart brand new engine.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
fxdl raw said:
The thing I really miss is leaving the rice rockets in the dust.
I'd say I missed that too, but I've always rode harleys so that's never been something I could do in the first place.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow...thanks for the great replies! I think the idea of getting into a touring bike has really infected me. Now I can't look at anything besides dressers, custom baggers, the new Street Glide etc. I'm starting to think about an Electra Glide Classic now after seeing all the cool looks with the quick detach tour paks and the ability to strip it down to a much sleeker look when the mood strikes. I really "get" all of the advice. It will be a hard decision. Yeah it's fun to think about the new "project" but I also remember a lot of anxiety over it all:) I was relieved to finally get it done and ride. Yes I ride a lot and plan for that to not change. I'll most likely keep the Fatboy, although I am really tired of it, hot rod and all, through 06, hope that either Harley drops 6 speeds in the touring class next year, or wait and snag an 06 SG in 07 with a 95" at least. That Classic still looks good too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts