V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good Luck,
i've been racing my 01 FXD 95" 5 years now, love drag racing.
best advice is don't try too hard, a lot try hard and go slower.
just have to get used to it, don't worry about tach or shift light at first just go out and race like you do off the lights.
but you need to remember as soon as the two white lights are on your staged, so hold the front brake on, hold engine revs up say about 2,500 to start, when the last orange comes on go. to shift i just put a load on the gear leaver then back off throtle quick it falls into next gear open it up, that seems to be quickest and smoothest way, i only use the clutch on the line.listen to your motor if you know how when you hear the sweet spot shift. if you enjoy it then get a shift light, tach is not really needed, but i use it as i'm deaf and i use the tach to hold rev up to were i launch at, i know what rev my bike will wheelstand at and i just hold it at the rev were it goes out hard with front wheel just off the track.
after you have first pass if you got traction and bike felt ok off the line, look at your 60' time, next pass try to hold revs say 500rev higher than the first pass then when you get your ticket check out the 60' if the 60' was quicker and you shifted ok your ET and trap speed should also be quicker and faster.
cheers lakes

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good points, best way is go to the track you will race at to get track regulations.i have a drag race licence here in australia we have one governing body ANDRA.
For championship meets we have to wear full face helmet and full leathers , but at grudge meets you only need a leather jacket but must have jeans and boots and gloves, you can run an open face helmet if you are slower than 11.99, but if you are quicker than 11.99 you need a full face helmet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.