V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
'PACKMAN'
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where else to post this...so here goes. Just had the 40-something eye checkup. Yeah, it's pretty bad...bifocals....bummer. Talked to the optomo about riding glasses, and earlier checked with the V-Twin Forum optomo, and they both agree that my eyes are too bad for WileyX or anything like that...too much curvature or something like that.

SO, I would like to find some goggles that I can have script lenses put in (since eye-transplants are a reality yet). I have a good pair of sunglasses for day riding, but my main problem is rain or night driving. Something that is functional, yet not exhorbitant price wise...therefore, probably nothing with the HD logo.

Any suggestions, website links, experiences?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Find a cheap set of goggles you like and buy a few pairs, then go to lenscrafters(hint, 20-30% off for AAA). They will make you a nice set of lenses to your specifications! The reason I suggest getting a few pair of identicle goggles is because, you can find pretty decent ones for under $20 at run vendors, shows and other places. You may not ba able to find the identicle ones a year down the road when your goggles break or wear out you don't want to be out a $200 set of lenses too so just swap the lenses into one of your extra pairs of goggles. Or, you can get some over glasses goggles. My riding partner has em and they are very nice, comfortable and work great, his ran about $80, he used JP and they let him change styles 3 times no charge til he found one that worked right for him.
There are other alternatives and I have been through many. Suffice to say, none of the alternatives is good compared to being able to see!
If all your correction is ADD correction, I can tell you how to make RX goggles really cheap!

·
'PACKMAN'
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
lenscrafters

If all your correction is ADD correction, I can tell you how to make RX goggles really cheap![/QUOTE]

Well, that's a good idea about the goggles and lenscrafters. And I'm a AAA member. Hadn't thought about that. What do you mean by the quote above? I've got awful nearsightedness and severe astigmatism. What's ADD correction? And what's the secret for RX goggles...if that's for me?

I've tried the goggles over glasses, and haven't had much luck at this point. The goggles either rub on the glasses or are too tight or otherwise. May have to check the JP website, though.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I have worn bi-focals for many years. My distance(driving) vision just kept getting worse. since it is an add for correction, I went to the dollar store, found the reading glasses that afforded me the best compromise of distance vision for driving, either look to the back of store or out the window across the street or just look on your vision RX, the top number is your distance, this must be a + number for this to work. Anyhow, get the reading glasses from the dollar store, get a cheap pair of goggles, remove the lenses from the dollar store glasses and hot glue the lenses inside the goggles, just a spot in a couple of corners works fine. I have used these poor mans perscription goggles for many years now and they work great. I am pretty lucky in that most of my riding is country roads where where you can rarely exceed 60 for more than a few minutes and my regular glasses work pretty well at those speeds. If I go on a long ride or anytime i am gonna be on an interstate, I do wear my fancy dollar store perscription goggles. Oh yeah, or if its raining, this is Oregon after all!

Oh yeah, they now also make cling-ons with add corrections now, i don't know much about em but I been wondering for years why they didn't have em, they have promise but are kinda pricey for experimenting at about $20 a pair.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Consider Lasik also. It will cost way more then glasses, but it CAN solve your problem if you are a good candidate.

Its not cheap, $1500-$2000 an eye. They even have a way of making one eye far sided and the other near sided for over 40 years old.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
geoffreyt said:
check these folks out
:roflback: Girl's Bike?, Oh no Sir, this is a Sportster, your thinking of a Dyna, the Sportster is her little sisters bike :banana: @gree: %[email protected]

·
'PACKMAN'
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tibs said:
Consider Lasik also. It will cost way more then glasses, but it CAN solve your problem if you are a good candidate.

Its not cheap, $1500-$2000 an eye. They even have a way of making one eye far sided and the other near sided for over 40 years old.

I've considered LASIK...but cost factors prohibit that option currently. AND, why is it that all the optometrists and opthamologists still wear glasses? Every time I ask them that question, I get a really interesting smirky smile from them...and a response along the lines of "Well, there's a new procedure coming out soon."

So, when I see the optometrist trading his glasses for LASIK, I'll be soon to follow. My brother and dad have had relatively no complications...but my eyes are in worse shape.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
seems to me the other obvious solution is contact lenses. You can be prescribed "mono-vision" lense(s) that will give you vision in one eye for close up and the other for distance. I know if sounds like something that most people could NEVER get used to, but I know of several that think it's great. I believe there are also bi-focal contacts. I've never tried them but it might be worth asking about.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Check with www.heavyglare.com. They specialize in strong prescription sports glasses. I used them for a pair of Panoptx and was quite pleased. They will not do bifocals.

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
05fatty said:
seems to me the other obvious solution is contact lenses. You can be prescribed "mono-vision" lense(s) that will give you vision in one eye for close up and the other for distance. I know if sounds like something that most people could NEVER get used to, but I know of several that think it's great. I believe there are also bi-focal contacts. I've never tried them but it might be worth asking about.
I've used monovision soft contacts for over 5 years. Just need to use
sunglasses with foam around the lenses or goggles, so the wind doesn't
screw up the contacts.
I didn't find them difficult to get used to. Some people experience a halo
effect driving at night.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Zeal Optics are the best goggles I have ever used. I have clear, polarized, and light changers. The clear have the bifocals that show as well as the polarized, the light changers have no bifocal line and are great when you stop just swap the goggle lens for the light changers and you have instant sunglasses. Cant say enough about them.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,645 Posts
franksam said:
Not sure where else to post this...so here goes. Just had the 40-something eye checkup. Yeah, it's pretty bad...bifocals....bummer. Talked to the optomo about riding glasses, and earlier checked with the V-Twin Forum optomo, and they both agree that my eyes are too bad for WileyX or anything like that...too much curvature or something like that.

SO, I would like to find some goggles that I can have script lenses put in (since eye-transplants are a reality yet). I have a good pair of sunglasses for day riding, but my main problem is rain or night driving. Something that is functional, yet not exhorbitant price wise...therefore, probably nothing with the HD logo.

Any suggestions, website links, experiences?
I use these over my glasses because I can't find anyone to do my lenses without them being about 3/4" thick. http://www.guard-dogs.com/store/pro...id=42&osCsid=54b66116455e85e5ce7a4d5fd0901c3e

Like your quote.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
My eyes were pretty bad too. But 5 years ago i got the lasik done , now my vision is great, plus they'll put you on the easy payment plan.
One thing it won't fix is the reading glass thing that's a muscle problem not a lens problem. But i can deal with carrying cheapo dollar store reading glasses around.
I would say the lasik was one of the best things i have done.
Most lasik places will have you come in for a free exam to see if your a canidate and talk about financeing or insurance.
When i was there a girl in the waiting room was coming back for a check up. She told me before she got the lasik she was so bad glasses didn't help much, now she's 20/20, that sold me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
riding goggles

How about cocoons or fitovers? I am sort of in the same boat as the original poster, however sometimes I do use my fullface and it is a non-issue.
However, I have to confess I do enjoy my half helmet sometimes, and it is the air that gets behind my regular glasses or sunglasses that is disturbing...

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"

·
'PACKMAN'
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Great suggestion

http://www.sportrx.com/

This looks like an affordable option. I'm going to check with my optomo this week when I pick up my glasses. My bifocal situation is just for at work and reading at night. Finances preclude lasik right now. And nearsightedness is so bad that I can't read this screen if I take my glasses off.

Looks like sportrx has many options that may work. We'll see what happens when I enter my prescription info...interactive website is a great service.

Hmmmm....may have to let them know about the Forum....maybe a new sponsor???

http://www.heavyglare.com/

Also has lots of options. GREAT !!! This is just the info I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestions.

As for full-face helmets.....naaaa. Shorty some of the time. Still trying to figure the best way for rigging the intercom to the shorty for me and my daughter.

That's what the bagger is for...pushing all that inclimate weather out of the way. 5 inch windshield in the summer...9 inch the rest of the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Goggles

adlerx said:
Find a cheap set of goggles you like and buy a few pairs, then go to lenscrafters(hint, 20-30% off for AAA). They will make you a nice set of lenses to your specifications! The reason I suggest getting a few pair of identicle goggles is because, you can find pretty decent ones for under $20 at run vendors, shows and other places. You may not ba able to find the identicle ones a year down the road when your goggles break or wear out you don't want to be out a $200 set of lenses too so just swap the lenses into one of your extra pairs of goggles. Or, you can get some over glasses goggles. My riding partner has em and they are very nice, comfortable and work great, his ran about $80, he used JP and they let him change styles 3 times no charge til he found one that worked right for him.
There are other alternatives and I have been through many. Suffice to say, none of the alternatives is good compared to being able to see!
If all your correction is ADD correction, I can tell you how to make RX goggles really cheap!

What is the JP wesite you are referring to?
Jim

·
'PACKMAN'
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
awful prescription

Based upon my visit to the optomo, I found out my specific script. Then I started checking the websites listed. My script is so awful that there were only two options...one set of goggles and one set of glasses. SportRX has one set of goggles that will take my script.

So, I ordered a set from ... get this ... Bambi from San Diego. It was a very easy transaction, and Bambi was great to work with. The price was very affordable. So, now I wait for a couple of weeks. Then I'll let everyone know how the goggles work.

A couple of the other websites actually referred me to SportRX based upon my script. I eventually did a Google search for motorcycle goggles, and SportRX was the only place to meet my awful script.

·
'PACKMAN'
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SportRX

The goggles arrived in less than a week...what a surprise!! A great fit and the script is just right. I may go ahead and get another pair. For those with really poor vision and awful prescriptions, this was the only place I could find goggles to accept my script.

The only drawback...they didn't send a case of any type with the goggles. So, I'm going to call back and see if they have cases. I'm hoping someone simply 'forgot' to include the case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts