V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GMR is closed today and i have a question. I'm doing the 98 kit with head work from steve. Do you know if Steve uses the stock valves or goes with a different size? The guy thats going to tune wants to know

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
It depends,

Steve used stock valves for my configuration, but he might use something else for yours. From what I know, he tailor does heads for each applications. So, who knows what he did for you. I can only say he did it right.

Stan

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stashu11 said:
It depends,

Steve used stock valves for my configuration, but he might use something else for yours. From what I know, he tailor does heads for each applications. So, who knows what he did for you. I can only say he did it right.

Stan
I'm sure he did, but i was just curious and my tuner wanted to know, my bike is an 05 with the 98" and 37g cam

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Stashu11 said:
It depends,

Steve used stock valves for my configuration, but he might use something else for yours. From what I know, he tailor does heads for each applications. So, who knows what he did for you. I can only say he did it right.Stan
What Stash said. If you have to give your guy a response today, given it's a 37G you're using, my guess would be Steve kept the stock valves.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FXDRYDR said:
What Stash said. If you have to give your guy a response today, given it's a 37G you're using, my guess would be Steve kept the stock valves.
Yeah he kinda wanted to know today but since Steve still has the heads he will have to wait till tomorrow.
What he's doing is building a map for a thunder max ecm and said he needed the valve size.
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Now that I have a little more info, I could guess you have stock valves. I too have a 98 kit from him with 37-g cams. He set me up for 9.7/1 compression. I had to change my exhaust from the V & H big shots (short) to SE slip on's. Now I have 92 hp and 100 + torque from 2200 until almost 5000 rpm. You will love his setup.

Stan

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Stash, did he send you a EFI file?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I also just got done putting together the 98 kit with 37g cam and Steve's stage one heads. He sent me a map but having trouble opening it. Finished third heat cycle today and want to get it remapped tomorrow with SERT so I would also be interested in a map that would work in a 2002 Softail. Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
GMR did not send me a map. I had the Dyno tuning done by a great HD dealer named Zebka in Johnstown PA. I sent GMR my finished map. So, if Steve though it was close to what you have I'm sure he would give it to you.

Stan

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Vetteandharley,
If you need a SERT map PM me with your e-mail address, I have a map that so far I have put 1400 miles on. Bike runs great, a little rich especially when cold. Better rich than lean. If you want the map PM me and it is yours.... Steve at GMR sent me the map, but I was unable to read it. He had version 4.52 and I only had version 4.12 unable to read up. Another member converted it for me and it works great. The following is my setup for my 2001 Fatboy all from Steve.

98" kit 9.7/1
Flat top pistons
Comp Lifters
37G cams
Street ported heads
325 cfm open K&N filter
Beefed up clutch
LMR oil pressure spring
V&H Big Shot Staggereds
Last upgrade before DYNO is Bored Throttle body and Manifold from 44mm to 48mm waiting on UPS.
I am so ready for the DYNO. Bike is unbelievably strong. Surprises alot of people. A buddy of mine has a chopper with a S&S 111 cu in motor and told me the other night he had to really work to keep up with me. Of course that was 1st 2nd and 3rd after that he was gone. Pretty impressive...

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
mori55 said:
I'm sure he did, but i was just curious and my tuner wanted to know, my bike is an 05 with the 98" and 37g cam
Stock but new valves depending on your date of purchase with what I believe is a slightly different seat cut...(newer batch, last couple of months)

·
Registered
175 Posts
What sizes ? 1.800 in or 1.840 in ? The 05 heads fitted with the 7mm 1.800in valves, does dropping the intake valve size slow things up or give you better velosity?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
DanNZ said:
What sizes ? 1.800 in or 1.840 in ? The 05 heads fitted with the 7mm 1.800in valves, does dropping the intake valve size slow things up or give you better velosity?
Be advised, there is a lot more to the valve work than just the size. The seat angle, valve redius, and blending all have a great affect on the flow and velocity. Steve actually cuts down a 1.615 exhaust to get to about a 1.570, but uses 80% margin on the seat. So your flow is increased a bit and the velocity goes way up. I'm pretty sure is is using a nicely radiused Ferrea at 1.90 for the intake. Don't be too concerned if you have Steve doing the heads, he's been working on these combos for a while now and fine tuning to get some killer power. After a conversation with him just last night, I do believe that his latest offerings are very sweet. You'll be smiling!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
GRock said:
Be advised, there is a lot more to the valve work than just the size. The seat angle, valve redius, and blending all have a great affect on the flow and velocity. Steve actually cuts down a 1.615 to get to about a 1.570, but uses 80% margin on the seat. So your flow is increased a bit and the velocity goes way up. Don't be too concerned if you have Steve doing the heads, he's been working on these combos for a while now and fine tuning to get some killer power. After a conversation with him just last night, I do believe that his latest offerings are very sweet. You'll be smiling!
You can say that again...ear to ear and it's tough to wipe off yer face!!!

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Not sure if any of caught Naked in the river but his numbers are great 98 hp and 112 tq not bad for a little ole 98 kit. ANd to think he wanted to change his pipe to gain more power :bowdwn: Keep what ya got. P.S. I am not buying you new shirts with longer sleeves. But I am in the process of having work shirts done up. With the GMR logo on the back name tags could be anything. I have some that say "skeeter" " cletus" as well as the normal names like STEVE and howard, joey . WHen I get the rest done I will let ya'll now. P.S.S. Names are as they come no request's those that ask will get a girl name like BETTY LOU or THELMA, VERONICA, LOL

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
How about some stick-on GMR tats???!!! How about some velcro saddle inserts to keep everyone form sliding backwards??!! Maybe some helmet stickers "You've just been SPANKED compliments of GMR Performance" ...only, make sure you get the kind that will stick to skin... for those in helmetless states... just thinkin'.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
Not sure if any of caught Naked in the river but his numbers are great 98 hp and 112 tq not bad for a little ole 98 kit. ANd to think he wanted to change his pipe to gain more power :bowdwn: Keep what ya got. P.S. I am not buying you new shirts with longer sleeves. But I am in the process of having work shirts done up. With the GMR logo on the back name tags could be anything. I have some that say "skeeter" " cletus" as well as the normal names like STEVE and howard, joey . WHen I get the rest done I will let ya'll now. P.S.S. Names are as they come no request's those that ask will get a girl name like BETTY LOU or THELMA, VERONICA, LOL
Anybody seen Mori? He could be "Thelma!" :hystria: :hystria:
(Just kidding dude, you know that!! #[email protected] )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts