·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Softail, I recently installed a Dynojet Kit. I notice in the dark
the pipes are glowing. The exhaust is stock (baffles removed) and the air
breather HI Flow Screaming Eagle. I thought the bike was way lean so
I enrichened it quite a bit (180 Main Jet 48 Slow Jet). I have done all the
logical tests for air leaks (I think). Yet the pipes still glow in the dark.
Is this normal? By the way the bike runs good. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Glow Bug

Dude, if ur pipes are glowing at night, there is no doubt its way too lean somewhere in the fuel curve, mixture. I'd be carefull like that, u could burn an exhaust valve. Or you got a small vacuum leak somewhere, hows the idle quality? Try covering carb mouth slowly while bike is idling with ur hand, if it speeds up slightly or idles better, u got a slight leak somewhere. Did u drill out idle mixture plug and readjust it? If their glowing, something is way wrong, too damn lean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 02 RKC with stage 1 & S.E. muffs. I also noticed at night that the header pipes are glowing red under the heat shields. The plugs look fine & the bike runs great. Is this normal? I have 9000 trouble free miles.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I can't say your carb is the same but on my 86 EVO I ran a 55 slow jet to correct a kean miss problem off idle. I would have to agree that it is too lean still. Pipes that glow indicate very high combustion temp. Remember it is oxygen that burns. Either cut down the air in or add more fuel. Optimum is a 14 to 1 ratio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dude, All pipes glow in the dark. I know this is a shock to most people. My riding partner was very concerned with this when he discovered his new duals glowing on his RK. We painstakingly removed and replaced with several sets of pipes that he had on hand. We used new exhaust port gaskets, stock and Screaming Eagle, etc, and each time the pipes glowed about 3 to 6 inches out of the exhaust port. I checked my FB, and it glowed, too. Checked other Evo's, and even my old Pan. They all glowed when the engine was hot and it was dark. My Bub pipes did glow less than his Samson's, which I think is due to the thinner, poorer quality material in the Samson's. Check the tightness and fit of the exhaust port gaskets and if it's not backfiring when you let off on it (air leak) just put shields on and run the snot out of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts