V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my E-Glide stripped and parts are ready to go to powdercoat for the "black-out", but I'm still a little indecisive about the amount of gloss I want. My powder guy has the code for the exact powder that Harley uses for the frame. That is what I've had in mind all along but I thought I'd better check the forum to see if anyone had experience with too much or too little gloss. I'm coating pretty much anything that is chrome or aluminum, engine covers, crash bars, etc...
Any advice or opinions are welcome.
Thanks

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well IMHO using the same gloss as the frame would blend all the parts together nicly. It would look very clean doing it that way. If you change the gloss, the parts will stand out and look a little strange IMHO, like two colors of paint on the same frame.
Either that or go flat. If you have a difference it needs to be drastic.
Just my -2$en#e-
Good luck.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
powder coating

I used gloss for engine guards and the like...and semi gloss or wrinkle black for engine components...
If you are going totally black i'd use gloss black on EVERYTHING (fork legs & tins, and all stuff except engine/trans). My buddy who powdercoats uses a black base then a clear coat. Comes out pretty slick. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the opinions. Seems to back up what I've been thinking.
LittleBear said:
. If you have a difference it needs to be drastic.
I've also been questioning the gloss on the engine. I think I'll knock the gloss down on the engine covers.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
If you've ever looked closely at an FXDX or an FXSTB you may have noticed they're done up quite well in the area you're working. The frames are of course gloss black as is the sheet metal, (on the black bikes). The fender struts, bat. cvr., elec. cvr., horn, prmy. cvr., cam cvr., tank cnsl., guages and A/C are all deep texture wrinkle black. Where as the flywhl. cases, jugs, trans. and rckr. bxs are textured black, (smoother than wrinkle but rougher in texture than flat). The bars, controls, mirrors and the like are matte black. The mix of black on black and texture on texture is one of the main attributes of these similarly styled bikes. Go with whatever blows up your skirt. You're the only one that has to look at it when it's all said and done. If I were to do my DX again, I'd most likely opt for solid black jugs, solid silver heads, all without highlighted fins. Would be a cool hot rod look. Parts in those finishes weren't readily available when mine was done. As it was, I got the last set of SE heads on the East Coast at that particular time. Took about a month to get them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.