V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted in the sportster section under "finally got my first Harley" pictures.

I am glad to be back into riding. I grew up on a farm in Southern Iowa and for my 12th birthday was given a Suzuki 100 dirtbike. Rode the crap out of it.

Left the bike at home and went to college. Should have taken it with me. My little brother out of all of us kids had trouble with drugs and sold it for drug money.

Anyway, got married, had a son. After 12 years of marriage the longing for a street bike became too strong and I bought a Kawasaki 750 Vulcan. I enjoyed it for the 2 months I had it up to the day that my half brother and I stopped in at a local Harley dealer to look at gift items for a friend who liked Harleys and was having a birthday.

This dealer had a pretty fair inventory of used Harleys among which was a 99 1200 custom sportster. It had a very nice seat , all the chrome, and some sort of mid high wide buckhorn bars. I asked the salesman if I could take it for a ride and he said go right ahead. He took it outside...

And then he started it up...

WOW!!! They had taken the baffles out of the factory pipes and adjusted\rejeted the carb and it was awesome. (I know I sound like a newbie here but I don't care)

I got on it and took off. The vulcan seemed like a moped compared to this thing. Rode it for about 15 minutes and knew that this was the deal right here.

Went back a week later and traded for it.

I will never go back.

hehe

Patsue

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Welcome patsue, enjoy the stay. It obvious you're enjoying the ride!

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Hi patsue, welcome to this web site, I think you will enjoy this place alot:) I will get 12,000 miles on my bike by years end next year, you are not that far away from me, maybe we will get together and chat some day:)

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Welcome Patsue.
Sounds like an AWESOME rig!!!!
The Vulcans are nice bikes, but as you can see I too have left the metric world behind and become a Harlaholic :)
Congrats and ENJOY!!!!

·
Do it in the woods !
67 Posts
Welcome to the forum patsue . Ain't Harley fever great ?!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Markcuda said:
Hi patsue, welcome to this web site, I think you will enjoy this place alot:) I will get 12,000 miles on my bike by years end next year, you are not that far away from me, maybe we will get together and chat some day:)
For the last two years I have put together a ride to the Motorcycle Hall of Fame andMuseum in Anamosa IA. It has been in late August. Next year I will include invites from this forum whereas I see IL and IA people in abundance here. Great place and good pizza just acrosss the street!

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Hi kellyb, how far are you from Clinton? Is the ride next year still going to be at the end of August? Late August of next year is the ride home party in WI. I think August 27-31.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Markcuda said:
Hi kellyb, how far are you from Clinton? Is the ride next year still going to be at the end of August? Late August of next year is the ride home party in WI. I think August 27-31.
I am about 30 minutes west of Peoria. We met up in Peoria though and then went west. If the ride home is that weekend we will plan around it.

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
hey there kelly b, my OM is from galesburg. small world. drove thru peoria a couple years ago, thought it was a nice town.:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
ginger said:
hey there kelly b, my OM is from galesburg. small world. drove thru peoria a couple years ago, thought it was a nice town.:)
Peoria is OK. Work there but live in a small own west of there. Just saw Mellencamp last night and when he sang born in small town, it really hit home. Did a few years outside Altanta and it was way to hectic for me. Didn't dare ride a bike there! Nowadays it is 25 miles to work. That is 50 miles round trip. That is more bike riding! Although sometimes it takes me 50 to 75 miles to get home when I am "avoiding traffic" :D

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
maybe you haven't heard the news, but i am a SUPER BIG john mellencamp fan. super big really is not explaining it all. i am a GIGANTIOUS fan of john mellencamp. he puts on a excellent concert don't he. i saw him about 4 years ago at the sioux falls arena and just about died. NOW that is one hunk of man:p

·
Registered
116 Posts
John puts on a very high energy show. He has some great band members, particularly the lady that plays the electric violin! most fun I ever had at a concert!

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
i was most disappointed i couldn't take pics at the concert tho. we had excellent seats......and your right......very high energy concert. it was the best concert i have seen in ..........well........forever:p

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
kellyb, we try to get to Peoria about every other month. We love eating at Unos Pizza, kind of near the river, in some big hotel, can't think of the name though:confused: Peoria is a hour from Clinton, to us, that will be just a little jount;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts