V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any out there who have switched from the Honda GL1800 to the Ultra Classic. Would be interested in your thoughts, I should have my Ultra in about 3-4 weeks and am getting a little worried about my decision to switch. Would be interested in what those of you who have gone to the Ultra think. Will probably keep my Ultra close to stock as it’s main job will be to eat up many miles and want reliability, thanks for any input!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Traded an '02 GL1800 on an '02 Ultra on Nov. 2, 2002. I love my new Ultra and there is nothing I miss about the old spaceship. There's quite a few of us x-wingers on the board. See the thread in this touring section ... xwingers?

Mine is close to stock also, except for the Stage 1 kit and the Kerker pipes.

The Ultra is one GREAT touring machine ... Had a nice 500 mile ride last Saturday across Alligator Alley and up the left coast of Florida then back through the heartland (swamp) and along the east coast of Lake Okeechobee. The Ultra was smilin' all the way ...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi Batwinger - I'm coming down to Orlando in March and was thinking of trailering the bikes down - any tips on good biking routes in that area?
BigG

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have not owned a GW- but i test rode one and a Ultra before deciding on the Ultra.
Have had other bikes, Honda, Kaw, HD but wanted atouring bike and I didn't like the seat position of the GW- felt too much like straddling the tank, also there didn't seem to be near the aftermarket support for the GW where HD you have a lot more options on things to make the bike "fit" you- handlebars, seats and seating positions ect.
Got an 02 Ultra last year and the only changes were a Thunderheader and a remap- got other bikes to hot rod, why race/flog the tourer?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I had a 91 GL1500. sold it in April of this year. My Ultra arrived mid August. I love it and do not miss my Wing at all. GW was a fine bike and it served me well but I always wanted a Harley and can finaly afford one and my only regret is I couldn't get it sooner, like maybe 30 years ago.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can't speak to the Goldwing, but I did a 3400 mile trip this summer on an 03 Ultra (borrowed from my dealer) and it eats up miles like there's no tomorrow. My HOG group has several converts in it and none of them plan on going back to the Goldwing. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My friend and I each purchased new bikes in 2001. He bought the Honda GL1800 and I bought an Ultra Classic. Since then, he's had a number of problems (overheating, bad CB, bad speedo, tire cupping, coolant leak, etc.) requiring dealer negotiations and lenghty repairs. He still hasn't got all of the problems fixed yet. My Ultra, on the other hand, runs like a Swiss watch and hasn't exhibited a single manufacturing defect. I love this bike and tell him so every chance I get...........

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts