V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried these? I'm looking at saddlebags for my Fat Boy, but I want them to be easily removable. I like the look of the bike without them but would need them for longer rides and weekends away.http://www.ghostbrackets.com/

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
I have them on my Heritage -- LOVE EM' (enough said).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Did you install them yourself? or have a shop do them? Were they easy to install? I was told they only take about 30 minutes.

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
I installed the ghost bracket myself and it was pretty easy -- maybe an hour or so. The hardest part was fitting my fat hand up under the fender on my heritage with the 150 rear tire. I use them with the detachable sideplates. You will find that the bags sit out a bit wider when installed, but no one has ever seemed to notice, other than me.

One VERY important fact on this -- if you are running the 150mm rear tire -- BEWARE. I found out the hard way that the new hardware stuck out too far under the fender and trashed a pretty good tire. SO, if you have a wide rear tire, you will need to remove the rear wheel and tire, install the brackets and then grind the studs off even with the nuts to ensure you don't rub.

You may be able to put the bolts through from the inside and use the nuts on the outside, but it may not look as nice. If you use an acorn nut on the outside, it may interfere with the ghost bracket -- not sure and I am 350 miles away from my bike right now....

If you are not running a 150 tire, the install should be easy and trouble free. Sorry, but I haven't tried the Bubba's brackets??

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got the Bubba's detach kit and sideplates on my Heritage . Good quality and easy install. The only drawback is I don't beleive there's a locking kid available for the plates. They claim H-D detach sideplates will fit but haven't tried them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ziggy101, looks good - cheers for taking the trouble to post the pic.
Did you have any similar problems as Hogzilla (with the studs needing cut).

Everyone; Am I correct in understanding either option will fit with detachable side plates then? I assume if the HD detachable sideplates are fitted, their locking kit could then be used.

Pleasure Pig - you coming to any conclusion on this one? Perhaps there's no real advantage / disadvantage between the "ghostbrackets" or "Bubbas" - unless someone else out there can advise.

Cheers for now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tom, No trouble with the studs at all. They fit flush on the backside of the fender. The kit comes with all the hardware needed (including bolts, lockwashers, etc. for the bags). The bolts (more like knobs) go inside of the bag and screw into the side of the stud, then there's a long black thing called a locking clip with notches in it that goes over the hex of each bolt to keep them from spinning.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tom Skillen said:

Pleasure Pig - you coming to any conclusion on this one? Perhaps there's no real advantage / disadvantage between the "ghostbrackets" or "Bubbas" - unless someone else out there can advise.

Nope, No conclusion yet. Hell, It was -2 degrees out this AM, so I have plenty of time to figure this one out:D This is what I was told on the Ghost Bracket Forum about fitting on the fat Boy

"The ST-104 works great with the Fatboy and with the ST-DB adapter it works with a detachable or quick release sissy bar.
We have sold thousands of this model with the same set-up as your inquiring about, with no complaints at all. The ST-DB adapter kit retails for $31.95."

Still looking for some other who have used or at least seen this product.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
They look pretty cool, nice pictures by the way ziggy101, just visited the web page but the above pictures give much more detail.
By the do they wear a lot? hope dont get them to wear down with time.

Sirius

1 - 15 of 15 Posts