V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back I got to spend a beautiful day touring the Gettysburg battlefield. It's nice having this national treasure close to my backyard. When you're there you can really absorb the fact you are standing on hallowed ground. Over a 3 day period there were over 50,000 casualties, with more that 7000 dead. This was a huge gamble for Lee to try and bring the war north and change things. Here's a few shots taken on our ride around.
005.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg
015.jpg
016.jpg
017.jpg
019.jpg
Panarama.jpg
002.jpg

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Yea I like the place, Would be nice to have it close, told the wife and kids I would take them there and haven't yet.

I think it's a 9 hour drive for me.

There was a restaurant I ate at across the street from National Cemetery which is awe to me. Restaurant with bar in the basement and was good food but pricey.

It's pretty wild about the stories on people there and what they did at that time, and The houses there that still have the canon balls in them.

·
Super Moderator
2,667 Posts
Devil's Den.
Rode there with the wife late June early July.Her first time and my third time being there.It can be quite overwhelming.She commented on how emotionally moved she was hearing some of the stories.Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The movie you can pay to watch in the visitors center narrated by Morgan Freeman really sets the tone to go out on the riding tour.
The lone cannon in the tree line is the view across the expanse that Pickett's men looked at before they charged. The building in the distance is at the top of Seminary Ridge, which isn't that tall but a high enough elevation that the Union troops were firing down on Pickett's men all the way across the field. It's over a mile across there with nothing to hide behind but corn, which in early July would have been about 4ft tall.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
The movie you can pay to watch in the visitors center narrated by Morgan Freeman really sets the tone to go out on the riding tour.
The lone cannon in the tree line is the view across the expanse that Pickett's men looked at before they charged. The building in the distance is at the top of Seminary Ridge, which isn't that tall but a high enough elevation that the Union troops were firing down on Pickett's men all the way across the field. It's over a mile across there with nothing to hide behind but corn, which in early July would have been about 4ft tall.
Did you notice the large patches of white still visible here and there? Those Union soldiers kept coming and coming.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
The houses there that still have the canon balls in them.
Forgive the off topic, but when I toured Fort Sumpter the cannonballs still stuck in the wall really caught my imagination... They had been there since 1860.... All of the original cannon are still there too.... I highly recommend seeing FT. Sumpter if you havent been there.....

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Forgive the off topic, but when I toured Fort Sumpter the cannonballs still stuck in the wall really caught my imagination... They had been there since 1860.... All of the original cannon are still there too.... I highly recommend seeing FT. Sumpter if you havent been there.....
Thats me I like going to battlefields and old forts. A nice ride near me is riding to Brunswick Town outside of Southport, NC. There is a museum with artifacts and restoration efforts of the fort and foundations of houses and stores. Ride to the Fort Fisher Ferry. Cages pay $10 bikes $3 long lines of cages waiting to cross. Bikes bypass them and get on the next ferry first. Fort Fisher used to be larger, but 3/4 has eroded into the ocean. Ride through Carolina Beach to Wilmington to the Golden Corral at Monkey Junction. Then ride across the Cape Fear bridge and the 50 miles back to the house.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Yea I like the place, Would be nice to have it close, told the wife and kids I would take them there and haven't yet.

I think it's a 9 hour drive for me.

There was a restaurant I ate at across the street from National Cemetery which is awe to me. Restaurant with bar in the basement and was good food but pricey.

It's pretty wild about the stories on people there and what they did at that time, and The houses there that still have the canon balls in them.
That restaurant would be the Dobbin House. The basement bar is called the Stonehouse Tavern. The OL and I go there quite often. The tavern prices are much lower than those upstairs (pun intended).

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts