V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was knocking around getting into drag racing. I picked up a 86 sporty for a decent price and was thinking about using that as a start. What are the pros and cons of this bike ie. clutch, trans or whatever the weak spots are.
Thanks,
Art

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not into racing, but we have a '92 Sport that's been stoked out to approximately a stage 2.5 build, which is a lot of stuff. It'll catch air in 3rd and if you're not used to it and don't hang on tight the damn thing will take off without ya... The build was based on a bookstore publication (can't remember the name of it but have it at home and can certainly post details later). Complete with dyno run charts and entire parts list. One area I've yet to change which is practically a must if you do anticipate racing is the rear shocks and fork springs - look to Progressive motorcycle suspension products to fill this void...

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Weak spot

Hollywood63 said:
I was knocking around getting into drag racing. I picked up a 86 sporty for a decent price and was thinking about using that as a start. What are the pros and cons of this bike ie. clutch, trans or whatever the weak spots are.
Thanks,
Art
Art,
The street tire will be the cushion for you, until one day you put a slick on it, and then you will probably see the gearbox start giving you problems, assuming that you will have the need to warrant a slick.
XL's can be a dragstrip terror, as the power/weight ratio is already built into the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I'll second the tranny. If you have the budget, go there right from the start. Better door would be one, and third gear is notoriously weak. If it granades it'll cost more for the repair than to strengthen it now.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys .........what is the problem with third the gears or is there a problem with the shafts? What I'm thinking of is a Rev Per 90 incher so the cases will be apart I can do the trans upgrades at that time. I'm still in the planing stages so I would rather fix it before it breaks
Thanks again
Art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts