V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the day has finally come for me to start this project. I have everything I need to start the stage 1 on my bike and just want to make sure that I have not overlooked anything before I do this. So far I have purchased the SE Air Cleaner kit, a 45 slow jet, a 180 main jet and a needle from an 88 1200. I have read the numerous posts. just want to make sure. BTW I am at sea level here. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Sounds good to me, how about a 1/8" drill bit and sheet metal screw? You will need to pull the "plug" over the idle mix screw for fine tuning the carb. Sportys work well around 2-3 turn out to start, then fine the smooth idle when hot.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, got all the tools including some sheet metal screws. Just wondering about the needle. Read somewhere that only the needle needed to be changed and other posts state to change the jets only. Just wanted to confirm this.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Howdy,

There is a bunch of info and a step-by-step on this on www.sportster.org.

Great stuff over there.

I hope this helps.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Rscotts1,

Sounds like your going to open up the carb a little, what are you planning to use as far as exhaust?

Good luck with it an keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Ross, www.sportster.org is exactly where I got all of my info. I am always at that site checking out the latest. Jockeyshift, I have Cycle Shack Slip-ons installed already. Thanks for all of the replies.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I can henestly say now, "Taxes Paid" ,on my 02 883. Got home from work today and started on the bike right away. No problems encountered and finished the job in about an hour 1/2 (had to run to hardware store for hose clamp). Drilled out the plug (backed out the mixture screw 1/2 turn), disassembled the carb, changed out the jets and screwed it back together. Installed carb back on bike along with new SE air cleaner and after letting the fuel bowl fill up, started the bike. Fired on first try. Took it out for a run and definately felt the difference right away!! No carb farts, bogging, hesitation, nothing! Bike ran great. Just hoping that a 1/2 turn on the mixture screw was enough. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the plugs. BTW I left the top of the carb alone for now, left the stock needle in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts