SE Heads
Big Bore
SE Flat Tops
SE Ignition
Roller Rockers
Ultima Lifters
Woods TW-5G Cams
Thunderheader

The bike has 24K miles on it and the dealer has offered me $15K. I know I'm taking a hit on it but knew going in that any upgrades etc weren't going to be an investment:)

The new project looks like this:

06 Electra Glide Classic Vivid Black

Detach Tour Pak
HD Stripper seat
Color matched saddle bag latches
Bullet rear end light system
Chromed lowers and all switch housings etc
Front and back lowering kit 1"
Full set of floorboard, grip, pegs kit
Stage 1 and download
V&H Oval slip ons
Chromed brake rotors
Sissy bar
Bag to frame filler strips

Other considerations:

White white walls for the unique look some of you have gone with:)
Big Bore kit (but wouldhave to eliminate a lot of above to swing it)

My primary questions, but welcome all input, is:

Is there anything listed above that you would pass on right away in order to make budget room for the Big Bore, particularly since I'm accustomed to a high performing motor? How will I relate to a stock 88 with just stage 1?

What do you think of the "out the door mods"? Anything you'd delete or add that would save money?

Also, I feel like the trade offer is fair, (knowing full well that I have more in it), but at 24K miles, would I be able to do "substantially" better on a direct sale with those miles?

I recognize much of this is opionion, but I've found theres nowhere better to get some good input than this enthusiast board:thumbsup:

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
If you are into performance...

and used to how that Fatboy runs you are not going to like the stock 88" motor with the stage one on a heavier bike.

If you can live without the performance upgrades then it's no big deal, if on the other hand it is a real priority and budget is a concern, then I'd forget about doing any or all of the bling stuff you mentioned like the light bar, chrome goodies, etc. Can always add bolt on stuff to the bike later.

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
Why not just buy a Street Glide as you want several stock pieces from the stock Street Glide, color matching latches, lowering it and the filler stripes all come standard on Street Glide plus if you like the stock Street Glide floorboards that would save you additional money for "Pumping Up the Motor" later. I really like the filler strips on the Street Glide and I also think it's a lot better value for the money as you also get the 2006 Stereo and etc ....just a thought

Wide White Walls, you going with Lace Wheels or Mags?

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
There is no question that the stock 88 with stage 1 will not perform like the Fat Boy. However, the Classic with the same engine up grades won't perform like the Fat Boy for obvious reasons. My suggestion would be to start with the stage 1, ride the bike for a year or two and see what you want to do to the engine. After all there is a reason that you went from the Fat Boy to the Classic, two totally different bikes. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
06CUSE said:
Why not just buy a Street Glide as you want several stock pieces from the stock Street Glide, color matching latches, lowering it and the filler stripes all come standard on Street Glide plus if you like the stock Street Glide floorboards that would save you additional money for "Pumping Up the Motor" later. I really like the filler strips on the Street Glide and I also think it's a lot better value for the money as you also get the 2006 Stereo and etc ....just a thought

Wide White Walls, you going with Lace Wheels or Mags?
06CUSE...that was my original idea, but I started comparing prices and bikes and with the tour-pak, passing lamps, touring amenities the EG Classic is actually a better deal. The whole idea was to be able to have two types of bikes by taking stuff off the EG, vs buying and adding stuff to the SG. I suppose that was before I started looking at lowering it, changing out the rear end, adding the parts.

I do believe the EG Classic also comes with the 06 upgraded stereo. I was going with the stock black wheels for now on the EG with the wide whites as a consideration. Do you think that would look funky? It's not a top consideration just something I am playing around with.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rocker said:
There is no question that the stock 88 with stage 1 will not perform like the Fat Boy. However, the Classic with the same engine up grades won't perform like the Fat Boy for obvious reasons. My suggestion would be to start with the stage 1, ride the bike for a year or two and see what you want to do to the engine. After all there is a reason that you went from the Fat Boy to the Classic, two totally different bikes. Just my 2 cents.
Thats what I've been thinking. As much as I like the performance of my Fatboy, it's not the end all for me any more. The bug may bite me again a year into the EG ownership, and if it does. I'll tear into it:)

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
JagmanR said:
The new project looks like this:

06 Electra Glide Classic Vivid Black

Detach Tour Pak
HD Stripper seat
Color matched saddle bag latches$$$ for engine
Bullet rear end light system$$$ for engine
Chromed lowers and all switch housings etc$$$ for engine
Front and back lowering kit 1" Save the $$$ and buy Progressives later. Don't get the HD lowering stuff
Full set of floorboard, grip, pegs kit$$$ for engine
Stage 1 and download Buy a SERT instead
V&H Oval slip ons
Chromed brake rotors$$$ for engine
Sissy bar
Bag to frame filler strips$$$ for engine

Other considerations:

White white walls for the unique look some of you have gone with:)
Big Bore kit (but wouldhave to eliminate a lot of above to swing it)

My primary questions, but welcome all input, is:

Is there anything listed above that you would pass on right away in order to make budget room for the Big Bore, particularly since I'm accustomed to a high performing motor? How will I relate to a stock 88 with just stage 1?

What do you think of the "out the door mods"? Anything you'd delete or add that would save money?
I would pass on the decorative stuff for now. You have to make the bike rideable, so those items I would go with. Put the cash from the other items into the engine. You can add the extras later. It may be easier to add bits and pieces later. Good christmas list stuff. Try putting an engine upgrade on your christmas list!!

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
JagmanR said:
Thats what I've been thinking. As much as I like the performance of my Fatboy, it's not the end all for me any more. The bug may bite me again a year into the EG ownership, and if it does. I'll tear into it:)

Go rent a SG or EG for a weekend and I would almost bet you sell the Fatboy the next week as the SG or EG will be just what you need. I know you will want some extra ponies but if $$$ is an issue go with Cams and a SERT or Power Commander along with a good exhaust and high flow, to get started then later pump the motor up. The SG comes with Radio and Black slotted wheels standard at $18,185 with many other standard parts, the EG does not have a radio and has laced wheels standard at $15,785 color bike. I think if you put a pencil to it and want the extra options the SG is a better value and has lots more chrome around the motor.
A tough call but go for the scooter you like the best and enjoy it.

here is the SG link to standard equipment and options
http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/M...uring&model=FLHX&market=US&modelsection=specs

here is the link to EG to standard equipment and options
http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/M...uring&model=FLHT&market=US&modelsection=specs

hope this helps but go ride a SG or EG bike and be part of the touring family

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well....after lot's of good advice from all of you and some thoughts about putting all the upgrade dollars into detach tour paks, chrome etc etc etc, I realized what I wanted was a Street Glide. I also did NOT want to be puttering around after literally having a blast ripping through the gears on my Fatboy....so today I ordered a Vivid Black Street Glide. They will ship it 4/6 and start work with these mods as soon as it arrives:

95" Big Bore Kit w/ Flat tops and 203 Cams. (I still have time to change the cams, but thats the kit) I've had 211's prior to my Woods TW-5G and I liked them but they really needs headwork to perform. Not enough low end grunt for my taste with them. I'm not going gear drive at this time, so it is one of the SE Cams, (which I honestly think are underrated cams in the first place.) With just the 95" motor they will most likely be 203 or 204's but open to suggestions.

Chrome front end

Sissy bar with quick detach

Grips and shifter pegs

Vance and Hine Oval Slip Ons

9.5" smoked windshield

Frenched chrome light trim

As I go along, I'll add chrome tid bits and the switch housing, a tour pak, and I think passing lamps. It's my way of getting back to the EG world, with the sleek and lowered looks and nature of the SG.

I'm happy with my decision to go with the limited mods and drop the bulk in the big bore. I'm happy I asked the question and some of you talked some sense into me:)

So...mid April...prime riding weather and I'll be on the new Street Glide. I am REALLY going to find it hard to give up my Fatboy. It's hard to explain. I've put almost 25k miles in less than three years on her and we have really bonded. That bike has lot's of personal touches not to mention the tuned motor. Never felt this way about turning a car in or trading. I'm also hoping that when the 07's come out in a few months it isn't with some new brilliant color for the Street Glide with God forbid a standard 6 speed transmission!

Oh..cuse thanks for the input. Just to clarify...was going for the EG Classic vs the standard, so it was a bit harder decision.

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
You did well my man~!Awesome!

On the windshield you may want to look at this site as I like the great price and quality is good. I have 5 of their windshields (for about the cost of 1 HD windshield) and found that the 8" works well for me and even the 9" I look over. At the low prices of these windshields get both the 8" and 9" go with the sun-glass as it will look really kewl on your scooter.

http://www.fastaire.com/windshields.html

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I would strip that 03 down and then put as much as possible from it on the new bike. Give it back like you got it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I took the time to sell my 1998 Fat Boy to a private party. The only engine work was an Andrew's cam, re-jet, and V&H Big Long Shots. There were some cosmetic upgrades, leather bags, passing lamps, pass. floor boards, etc. This was about 2 months ago and I got what your dealer is offering you. Upgrades are not an investment??? Do you think the dealer will sell this for less than he's giving you? Of course not, we all know this. He'll make 4 thousand on your bike. Sell it yourself and get your investment back and put the 4 grand in your pocket. This is probably the best time of year to sell.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[QUOTE='05FLHTCUI]I took the time to sell my 1998 Fat Boy to a private party. The only engine work was an Andrew's cam, re-jet, and V&H Big Long Shots. There were some cosmetic upgrades, leather bags, passing lamps, pass. floor boards, etc. This was about 2 months ago and I got what your dealer is offering you. Upgrades are not an investment??? Do you think the dealer will sell this for less than he's giving you? Of course not, we all know this. He'll make 4 thousand on your bike. Sell it yourself and get your investment back and put the 4 grand in your pocket. This is probably the best time of year to sell.[/QUOTE]

How many miles did you have on your 98?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
06CUSE said:
You did well my man~!Awesome!

On the windshield you may want to look at this site as I like the great price and quality is good. I have 5 of their windshields (for about the cost of 1 HD windshield) and found that the 8" works well for me and even the 9" I look over. At the low prices of these windshields get both the 8" and 9" go with the sun-glass as it will look really kewl on your scooter.

http://www.fastaire.com/windshields.html
06...how bad does the sunglass grey affect night visibility? I read what they said but would like your opinion. I'm ordering a couple of those tonight!!! I'm thinking the light grey though in 9" and an 8" in sunglass. Awesome looking windshields with a great price! Good stuff huh?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[QUOTE='05FLHTCUI]I took the time to sell my 1998 Fat Boy to a private party. The only engine work was an Andrew's cam, re-jet, and V&H Big Long Shots. There were some cosmetic upgrades, leather bags, passing lamps, pass. floor boards, etc. This was about 2 months ago and I got what your dealer is offering you. Upgrades are not an investment??? Do you think the dealer will sell this for less than he's giving you? Of course not, we all know this. He'll make 4 thousand on your bike. Sell it yourself and get your investment back and put the 4 grand in your pocket. This is probably the best time of year to sell.[/QUOTE]

Man I was really wanting to avoid the hassle of doing that, but you're making me feel guilty:) I didn't think $15K was a real bad offer actually...but if you got $15K for your 98 without any major motor work??? How long do you think it would take me to sell it? If you think the dealer is actually going to get $19K out it, that would surprise me, but I'd take less than that outright, something like $18,000.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jagman
I had a little less than 20K miles. It was in excellent condition, still looked like I rode it off the showroom floor. When I stopped somewhere, people would come up and ask me if I'd just gotten it and were suprised to find out it was several years old. Your bike looks real good in the pictures. Good Luck

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
YankeeBob said:
I would pass on the decorative stuff for now. You have to make the bike rideable, so those items I would go with. Put the cash from the other items into the engine. You can add the extras later. It may be easier to add bits and pieces later. Good christmas list stuff. Try putting an engine upgrade on your christmas list!!
@gree: He has good points in his post. Plus you can decide as to which type of chrome goodies you want to put on your Electra Glide - i.e. skulls, grooved chrome, etc.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[QUOTE='05FLHTCUI]Jagman
I had a little less than 20K miles. It was in excellent condition, still looked like I rode it off the showroom floor. When I stopped somewhere, people would come up and ask me if I'd just gotten it and were suprised to find out it was several years old. Your bike looks real good in the pictures. Good Luck[/QUOTE]

People ask me everywhere I go if mine is new...I swear. I don't really know where to start but I'll put a sign on it at least in front of my house and list it on here for now:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
19,000 for a 98 Fatboy????

Sounds like your dealer is giving you close to what he would get retail when he sells your bike just to make a sale on a new unit. There is no way in hell anyone is going to walk into a dealer and pay $19,000 for a 98 Fatboy, as previous poster suggests, with 24k on it, when a brandy new unit siiting next to it sells for less! I think you did great getting 15k from a dealer on a 8 year old bike. Used market is real soft now cause new bikes are sitting on showrooms. Maybe not SG's, but just about any other models. My local dealer(Monty's, W. Bridgewater MA) has 05 leftovers all over the place.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts