V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I’m sure y’all get tired of the whole new rider first bike thing. But I’m getting my first bike in 2 weeks went and sat on a few bikes today at my local Harley shop and put some money to hold the bike for sale. Now I’m not fully inexperienced I’ve rode manual dirt bikes up and down hills and accidentally through a pond (didn’t turn hard enough was really funny tho and the bike was perfectly fine lmao). In my family it was always harleys or pieces of crap. But following my dads advice I went an looked at the sportster 883 since I’m short and that was a low bike I tippy toed that then we tried the 2015 xl 1200t superlow and I was flat footing the ground felt super comfortable…. I honestly think that is the bike for me. I’m already planning on respecting the throttle and the bike learned the hard way from my dirt bike what happens when you don’t. And my beginner riding course is in June. I’m just mainly looking for advice. I’m 5’2 and 250lbs. (Don’t mind my face it was bright where I live) View attachment 269187

·
Registered
305 Posts
No matter what you start out on, it will always be your first bike and you will no doubt move on to something better in your eyes.
There is no utopia of a standard answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sense I’m honestly just wondering how I’ll counter arguments over it being 1200cc instead of a 250-500cc

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
I never recommended a Harley for a first bike, to anyone,,, it's not power or weight, (btw the 883 or 1200 sporty is the right choice),, hits the torque,, it takes you by surprise,, especially when starting moving.. many an accident happens, in the first 100 feet... the torque makes the bike move quickly for the first 100 or so feet,, after that no problems...

The softail has the lowest seat height at 25" generally..
Good luck,,, watch for the idiots in cages you will be fine

·
Registered
2005 FLHT
14 Posts
The weight difference between the two is pretty small and the power difference while it’s more, it’s not huge power. It’s definitely manageable if your going to take a rider course. Practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I would never recommend a Harley for a first bike.
Well, maybe one of those Street 750's or 500's but I've never ridden one.
Why worsen your crash odds?
Soon enough you will get better/safer and then you sell it and move up.
Actually you should be riding off-road for a bit before moving onto the street.

I don't think this is what you want to hear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts