V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know about other parts of the country but around here trying to find a good wrench that can actually figure out what the problem is with my scoot and fixing it correctly THE FIRST TIME, justs does not exsist. Can't tell you how many shops my bike was taken to for both minor and major work. Seems that everyone has their own adgenda. I have heard every excuse like the part is on back order, we forgot to order that for you, we are backed up from a heavy workload, the machanic called in sick etc.... BS I say. If you had to wait three weeks for a brake job on your car or truck you would have a sh#t fit. However when it comes to our bikes we seem to accept it, mostly because our options are limited. I becomes a toss up as to the least crappy dealer or shop. I resently when down. I suffered some roadrash and bruses but nothing serious. My scoot was bangged up as well but just cosmetics. I had a real problem though; where to bring it for repairs. I decided that one close to my home was the best choice because I would be near enough too check up on the progress. The bike sat in the shop for a month before a damage estimate was even prepared for insurance claim. On top of that I came up with money out of my pocket so HD tins could be ordered as I was told they can take up to 12 weeks to get. I try to do most wrenching myself but dyno tuning, major engine work and accidents require professionals. I wish that these guys who hold themselves out as service shops, start actually providing service.

Just venting but this has been going on for years now with no end in sight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've never taken my bike to a dealershit because I've heard to many horror stories like yours. If I can't fix something myself with the help and advice from the good people on this forum then I'd take it to an Inde who is certified trained and knowledgable about Harleys. I'm lucky I have an inde about 5 miles from home who is MTI trained and he knows his stuff. He's even given me the info I need and let me borrow tools before to fix stuff.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here in AZ that problem does not exist for me. I bring my bike to Arrowhear H-D for service. No problems.

There is a lot of independant repair shop compitition here. Most are pretty good. I hear a lot of postive feed back about them. My bike is still under warr. and I have a service plan, so I go back to my dealer.

I lived in NJ for many years, I am not sure what part of the state you live in, but the H-D dealer in Toms River had a good rep and so did the one in Long Branch.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
99fxd1 said:
I've never taken my bike to a dealershit because I've heard to many horror stories like yours. If I can't fix something myself with the help and advice from the good people on this forum then I'd take it to an Inde who is certified trained and knowledgable about Harleys. I'm lucky I have an inde about 5 miles from home who is MTI trained and he knows his stuff. He's even given me the info I need and let me borrow tools before to fix stuff.
Same here. I do all i can myself but i know my limits. When i don't have the time/tools/knowledge then it goes to my Indy. He may not be able to get it in right away but at least i know that he'll get to work on it when i do bring it in, which is usually within a week.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
good experiences

I have had excellent services while on the road in three different parts of the country: Santa Fe; Denver; Minneapolis. I can not say the dealers involved were anything but upfront and dependable. When you are on the road and have to rely on the closest dealer you begin to get a feeling when you talk to the service desk in the shop. I guess I've been luckier than most.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
My indy says he charges the same hourly rate that HD dealers do. It is always 1/2 or less than the dealer cost. He charges actual hours and his parts are less. He will find you the best deal and works on every HD like it was his own. I certainly hope that you all can find an indy as good as the one I have.

P.S. I don't raelly have enough room to work on a bike, but I can there if I need to. If I can afford it, he does it, because he is better with a wrench than I am, and can get down on one knee and lean over and I am not able to.

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
SuperK13,

What part of Jersey do you live in?

Which place have you been dealing with so far?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Near me I had a couple of good indies and also what I believe was the oldest harley dealer in the country at the time.

The one dealership lost their franchise because they would'nt renovate their showroom when harley went upscale. They all knew a road expansion would be coming through and they would'nt invest knowing they would eventually be pushed out.

Now there's only one dealer nearby and they are all right but I'm so anal about wrenching on my own bike that I do as much as I can myself. I do miss the old dealer tho, If I ever needed a part for a pan or knuckle they would bring a dusty box up to the counter and you would have a new old stock part in hand. Now most dealers wont even work onthe older bikes.

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
Really? They brought it to the counter for you?

I remember going in there during lunch and being told to "go see if you can find it yourself" :wacko:

I miss that place too.

I do have to admit, the new dealer does have a better selection of Harley necklaces, shot glasses, and toilet paper holders.

·
05 Flhrci
135 Posts
black05flhrci said:
I do have to admit, the new dealer does have a better selection of Harley necklaces, shot glasses, and toilet paper holders.
Yep, The ladies selling the clothes will bend over backwards to help you. But the guys in parts and (some) service act like you owe them something. One reason I switched dealers.

·
Wanderer
448 Posts
Yep, I know the dealer you guys are taking about. The old white haired guy was cool to a young ****er like me.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
superk13 said:
Don't know about other parts of the country but around here trying to find a good wrench that can actually figure out what the problem is with my scoot and fixing it correctly THE FIRST TIME, justs does not exsist. Can't tell you how many shops my bike was taken to for both minor and major work. Seems that everyone has their own adgenda. I have heard every excuse like the part is on back order, we forgot to order that for you, we are backed up from a heavy workload, the machanic called in sick etc.... BS I say. If you had to wait three weeks for a brake job on your car or truck you would have a sh#t fit. However when it comes to our bikes we seem to accept it, mostly because our options are limited. I becomes a toss up as to the least crappy dealer or shop. I resently when down. I suffered some roadrash and bruses but nothing serious. My scoot was bangged up as well but just cosmetics. I had a real problem though; where to bring it for repairs. I decided that one close to my home was the best choice because I would be near enough too check up on the progress. The bike sat in the shop for a month before a damage estimate was even prepared for insurance claim. On top of that I came up with money out of my pocket so HD tins could be ordered as I was told they can take up to 12 weeks to get. I try to do most wrenching myself but dyno tuning, major engine work and accidents require professionals. I wish that these guys who hold themselves out as service shops, start actually providing service.

Just venting but this has been going on for years now with no end in sight.
I Have the same problem with my local dealer. I only go there for warrantee work. But it seems like every time I take it there for warrantee work they screw something else up. Last time they did some work on my bike I go it back with the normal grease hand prints all over. On the way home I noticed the cruise doesn't work. Now I am a little pissed! So when I get home I decided to wash it and found a big spot of glue on the gas tank. So the next day I went back to the dealer and pointed out the glue on the tank. I was told by the service manager they didn't put it on there. Then I got really pissed and asked him if he was calling me a liar. Then I pointed out the cruise wasn't working and they said they would look at it. Then they said they might have to charge me to fix it. I pointed it out to them it worked before they fixed it.
Well 5 day later I get my bike back with the cruise fixed and the glue cleaned off the tank. The only problem is the bearings in the steering head are messed up. They Have adjusted the fall away adjustment four time and it is still screw up. So I call them and they tell me to bring it back. I really don't think I will ever go back.
Since then I found a good Indy. I hate to pay to have something fixed while it is under warrantee but I might have to.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I have not used my local dealer except for parts and clothes. So far so good. I will say, I had my 15k service done in Fort Myers, and I cannot say enough good about them. They are the example that all dealers should operate under. They really go out of their way to make you feel like family and take care of any and all needs you have during service. Then the bike was washed and dried. windshield cleaned and put in the back for pick up.
When you arrive, after they call, the bike is brought up to you and the advisor goes over each item and answers any questions. They also ask to make your next appointment if needed.
They are awesome.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
The time it takes you rie it to the dealer, and screw around with paper wrk, you could have done it yourself.. I realy laugh at the guys who say they don't have time. No, you don't want, which is fine, but be honest.

Also keep in mind you don;t have to do it all at once. I spread mine out. Lube cables one day, check fasteners, drain,ect.

1/2-1 hour a week will get it done.

For instance the 10k, alot of that is stuff you do anyways, check tires, cahnge plugs, check air shocks, ect

Add up the time it takes you t go to the dealer. If you get a ride home and back,your way up there time wise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts