V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2003 Road King ordered. I can't wait until it arrives!
I've got a Honda Shadow 750 Ace Deluxe now.

What I'm wondering is what do I have to know about the Road King that is different (other than the obvious, bigger, belt driven etc.)

Thanks all!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Congratulations on your Road King. Is this your first Harley? There are quite a few people out here that have Road Kings. One of the best suggestions I've heard yet as far as getting to know your bike is buying one of those service manuals. It's on my list of extras for my 03 bike coming in September. Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I forgot to mention (just in case you haven't found it yet) the touring section would be a good place to jump in and get some more information on the Road King.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Twice the engine (obviously). Considerably heavier. You can find out just about anything you want to know about the RK on the net. You will just have to wait to feel the thrill though. Heard there's some pretty decent riding through the Keys.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome to the HD forum,flasam !

The differences,besides the obvious ones,won't matter after your first mile in the saddle,I guarantee you'll have a grin from ear to ear!

Congrats on your Road King,enjoy!!
guido

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Congrats on the ride.

The larger bike will feel like it's been yours all your life in less than a couple hundred miles. Enjoy!!!:)

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
flasam said:
What I'm wondering is what do I have to know about the Road King that is different (other than the obvious, bigger, belt driven etc.)
Suggestions:
1. Motorcycle course - Amazed what you will learn - plus might help on insurance
2. New seat - Stock will wear you out and if riding passenger, they will be miserable. I'd go Mustang or Corbin. I have H-D Touring Seat and it's still not comfortable for passenger.
3. New handgrips - Need thicker ones to reduce some road buzz. Even though RK is SMOOTH, I experienced some.
4. Service manual - Hey, may not turn a wrench but it's better than the owner's manual. Never can tell when you may find someone who can do minor stuff without the $55 - $65/hour charge of most H-D dealers.
5. Extra lights - I put on Kuryakyn LED Brake & Turn Signals because I wanted people behind to see me when I was stopping, turning, etc. Next planned is front turn signals.
6. Go slow about making it pretty(i.e. chrome, etc.) - I started out thinking I had to have bunches of stuff. But after looking it over, I started going with function over looks. (See #4 above)

7. Most important - ENJOY & BE SAFE.

·
Registered
688 Posts
FLASAM
Congrats on your choice. I'm so psyched about getting mine also. When do you expect delivery?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts