V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Jacket Liner (long sleeves with a neck warmer) from Gerbing's a couple of days ago. It arrived yesterday.

This morning I turned on the weather channel and the temperature was 35 degrees. I hopped out of bed, put on my coveralls, grabbed a 5/8 and a 10mm wrench and went to work on hooking up the Gerbing's battery adapter.

Simple. Plug and Play. Zip-tied the lead to the left-side rear crashbar, put the seat back on, and then I went back inside and got ready for work.

I have never had any heated clothing before. I really didn't know what to expect, but all I know is that going 80mph in below 40 degree weather with the temperature setting at a little beyond the lowest setting, kept me plenty warm. It was an odd experience having warm arms and neck riding my bike. I felt good on my morning commute to the city. No shivers, no knife cutting cold winds... it was a whole new winter riding experience.

I was going to order the heated G3 gloves too, but they are out of stock until December or January. I really don't think I need them now though. Having my body heated really kept my hands warm too. This is the first cold morning I can remember that my hands weren't frozen wearing my thin leather gloves. I have some Tour Master winter riding gloves, but I don't wear them commuting because of the stop / go traffic and the need for more feeling in my hand controls.(...even though they make my hands sweat in the coldest of temperatures. For long distance touring, I'll wear them.) I might buy some of those ugly Hippo Hands to keep my fingers extra warm.

I will definitely say, if you want to be warm in the winter, buy some heated clothes. I've never had any experience with other brands, but this Gerbing's jacket liner is awesome.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
I agree!

I have a heated vest from Aerostitch, and it really comes in handy for the edges of the riding season.

Hell, I even had to put it on and plug it in last July one evening when riding though Wyoming along the Snake river and over into Idaho. Temps dropped down into the low 40's that evening.

A good add to the riding equipment and like you have stated, no more problems with my hands getting cold anymore either!

·
TL
500 Posts
Yep. Took my scoot in yesterday for a chrome front end kit. Temp was 40; north wind about 15-20 mph. Heated jacket liner & gloves; chaps; neck gator; half helmet with thermal cap to cover the ears; never even felt the cold air.

The gloves do their job but they are extremely bulky. Feels like I have to reach to grab some clutch or brake. I usually work up a sweat getting all that gear on and hooked up but it beats sitting home or shivering.

I would say if your hands don't get cold now, wait on the gloves.
TL

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
dwarthog said:
I agree! I have a heated vest from Aerostitch, and it really comes in handy for the edges of the riding season. Hell, I even had to put it on and plug it in last July one evening when riding though Wyoming along the Snake river and over into Idaho. Temps dropped down into the low 40's that evening.
A good add to the riding equipment and like you have stated, no more problems with my hands getting cold anymore either!
Do your arms get cold with just a vest?? I am getting the windblock heated liner from Aerostitch.

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
I rode to work this morning with my WarmnSafe liner and Gerbing gloves. 1 hour one way on the slab in the mid 20s with flurries. I was warm and having a blast. The looks I get are priceless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts