V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070922/ap_en_tv/people_clooney

WEEHAWKEN, N.J. - George Clooney and a companion were injured on Friday when their motorcycle collided with a car on a narrow road across the Hudson River from New York City.

Clooney suffered a broken rib and scrapes while his passenger, Sarah Larson, broke her foot in the 3:30 p.m. collision. The two were treated at Palisades Medical Center in North Bergen and released, Clooney's spokesman, Stan Rosenfield, said.

"He's doing fine," Rosenfield said. "He has a broken rib, it's very painful and it'll take a long time to heal."

Clooney and Larson were traveling north and sped up to pass on the right of a 1999 Mazda Millenia that was preparing to make a right turn, said Weehawken police Sgt. Sean Kelly. Both were wearing helmets.

It wasn't known whether the Mazda's driver, whose identity was not immediately released, used a turn signal, Kelly said. The accident was under investigation.

"It's a he-said, she-said right now, but you can't pass on the right in Weehawken or anywhere in Jersey," Kelly said.

Rosenfield said the accident occurred when the vehicle signaled a left-hand turn, but turned right and struck Clooney's motorcycle.

"The car signaled left. George was riding to the right. The driver decided to make an abrupt right turn and clipped George," he said.

The 46-year-old actor was in the New York area to film the dark comedy "Burn After Reading," co-starring Brad Pitt, John Malkovich and Frances McDormand.

Clooney's recovery shouldn't interrupt the production's schedule, Rosenfield said.

Clooney's latest film, "Michael Clayton," will be released next month. He and Larson have been spotted together at several film festivals and movie premieres in recent weeks.

·
Banned
455 Posts
"you can't pass on the right in Weehawken or anywhere in Jersey," Kelly said."
he was in the wrong.....he is a moron,hope his passenger sues him

·
Registered
629 Posts
Rented bike and he was probably not familiar with the area. It is a nasty, nasty place to drive whether on a bike or in a car. Nice view of the city, though.

The passenger was his GF.

A local newspaper, The Jersey Journal, said,
“Weehawken Police Sgt. Sean Kelly said it is not known if the driver of the other vehicle, identified by police as Albert Ciancalepore, 27, of Weehawken, had used his turn signal.

Ciancalepore told NBC-TV last night that he said he was trying to make a right-hand turn and Clooney cut him off.”

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
So, Clooney "cut him off" and he decided to get ahead of him and fake Clooney out with a left turn signal on a right turn? (Just speculating of course). I'm not saying that passing on the right in a situation such as that is the right thing to do, but hey, be honest... Yeah, it's sorta lame but how many times have you done it? And what is this crap about "his girlfriend should sue him"? I think some of you guys would sue yer own mother if you had a chance!

Zoo

·
Banned
455 Posts
zoo said:
So, Clooney "cut him off" and he decided to get ahead of him and fake Clooney out with a left turn signal on a right turn? (Just speculating of course). I'm not saying that passing on the right in a situation such as that is the right thing to do, but hey, be honest... Yeah, it's sorta lame but how many times have you done it? And what is this crap about "his girlfriend should sue him"? I think some of you guys would sue yer own mother if you had a chance!

Zoo
its legal to pass on the right in wis...but not where he was....and the sue comment was just me being a smart azz...read a thread about a passenger suing a rider for crashing....flash back
besides he is just a poser...bet he dosnt do 100 miles a year

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
bikernut said:
its legal to pass on the right in wis...but not where he was....and the sue comment was just me being a smart azz...read a thread about a passenger suing a rider for crashing....flash back
besides he is just a poser...bet he dosnt do 100 miles a year
Even where legal though, you have to admit, it's a risky move. People do dumb sh!t stuff like signal left and turn right all the time. Reminds me, one time one of my sisters had a passenger refuse to put on her seat belt. Drove down the road a bit and got t-boned by some jerk running a stop sign. And guess what? Passenger sued my sister for not making her wear her seat belt!

·
Banned
455 Posts
zoo said:
Even where legal though, you have to admit, it's a risky move. People do dumb sh!t stuff like signal left and turn right all the time. Reminds me, one time one of my sisters had a passenger refuse to put on her seat belt. Drove down the road a bit and got t-boned by some jerk running a stop sign. And guess what? Passenger sued my sister for not making her wear her seat belt![/QUOTE

the right side is dangerous for sure....a little fukd up weather and I can hardly see in my r mirror on my work van...cut off more than 1 biker with stock pipes

·
Banned
455 Posts
bikers stay away from the right side of trucks and vans......this has been a public service announcement....and I am serious...I can not see you...I can not hear stock pipes

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Loud pipes aren't much of an answer either though. I can't begin to tell you how many people I've pulled up behind with my siren, honking horn, and with my overhead red and blue lights flashing who still kept on rollin along like they were on a friggen Sunday afternoon drive through the countryside. It's called HUA... head up ass.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Passing on the right in NJ is legal according to this:

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Statutes
N.J.S. 39:4-85. Passing to left when overtaking; passing when in lines; signalling to pass; passing upon right

The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass at a safe distance to the left thereof and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. If vehicles on the roadway are moving in two or more substantially continuous lines, the provisions of this paragraph and section 39:4-87 of this Title shall not be considered as prohibiting the vehicles in one line overtaking and passing the vehicles in another line either upon the right or left, nor shall those provisions be construed to prohibit drivers overtaking and passing upon the right another vehicle which is making or about to make a left turn.

The driver of an overtaking motor vehicle not within a business or residence district shall give audible warning with his horn or other warning device before passing or attempting to pass a vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right as provided in this section only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

I do love that they said he was wearing a helmet, and of course everyone I know let me know there was a motorcycle accident and that it was George.

Jimmy

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
am i the only one here who read that the vehicle was preparing to make a right turn?

and

are there some here who are interested in condemning clooney because hes a rich star...because we know he cant ride like any of us (yes...sarcasm)

sure seems to be a lot of speculation going around from people who werent there and read an article incorrectly.

·
'04 FLHRPI
330 Posts
tomv said:
the vehicle was preparing to make a right turn
To me, that means the cage was in the right hand lane, and probably angled to the right. But I assume the cage was to the left side of that lane, with his left signal on. If that was the case, any biker should realize that something's not right, and back off, or slow down. We wern't there, but reading the article, it reads as if Clooney assumed the cage was turning left because of the turn signal, and he ignored the other signs.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
zoo said:
Even where legal though, you have to admit, it's a risky move. People do dumb sh!t stuff like signal left and turn right all the time. Reminds me, one time one of my sisters had a passenger refuse to put on her seat belt. Drove down the road a bit and got t-boned by some jerk running a stop sign. And guess what? Passenger sued my sister for not making her wear her seat belt!
Your kidding right? Everytime i see a car with it's signal on making a left turn i pass on the right. In NJ if you sit and wait your going to get run over.
It might as well be legal everyone does it. I really don't see how it's risky , if someone stopped is signaling a left and you go around.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
tomv said:
am i the only one here who read that the vehicle was preparing to make a right turn?

and

are there some here who are interested in condemning clooney because hes a rich star...because we know he cant ride like any of us (yes...sarcasm)

sure seems to be a lot of speculation going around from people who werent there and read an article incorrectly.
"The car signaled left. George was riding to the right. The driver decided to make an abrupt right turn and clipped George," he said
I think you are.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
mori55 said:
"The car signaled left. George was riding to the right. The driver decided to make an abrupt right turn and clipped George," he said
I think you are.
And another clip from the same article:

It wasn't known whether the Mazda's driver, whose identity was not immediately released, used a turn signal, Kelly said. The accident was under investigation.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
zoo said:
Even where legal though, you have to admit, it's a risky move. People do dumb sh!t stuff like...

Last week I was about to turn right a stupid older lady tried to pass me on the right while I was doing so.

I strightened up and stopped and she slammed on her breaks hard and honked her horn, still sightly to behind and to the right of me.

I turned around and pointed at my turn signal still blinking, in fact I put my finger right on it and shouted at her that I'm turning.

She motioned like she knew that and then motioned for me to get the hell out of the way. I kept myself turned to her and glared at her for about 30 seconds.

Dumbitch, there wasn't even a place for me to turn left so I don't know what the she trying to do.

Then she had the nerve to shake her head at me as she passed me after I turned.

I'm sure she told everyone how she, the perfect driver, was almost killed by a mean biker and that they all should be shot.

About Clooney, I don't like to hear about anyone getting into a wreck. I hope all is well.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
LarryM said:
Rented bike and he was probably not familiar with the area. It is a nasty, nasty place to drive whether on a bike or in a car. Nice view of the city, though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts