V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
47,503 and adding
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone uses for torx and allen bolts. I would like to buy a set of sockets with the correct sizes. Is there an established set or does someone have a list made up so I can go shopping with it. Thanks in advance for the discussion.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
The biggest thing not to forget is a Torx 27. Most sets don't have them. You can pick-up one made like a screwdriver at Sears. Sears also makes a nice set of Torx sockets and Hex sockets. IMO, you can never have two many different styles of each. I have them in keys, sockets, T-handles, folding sets, and screwdriver handled.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Ditto on the Torx 27. I see a lot of posts about Torx heads getting stripped and I always wonder if the Torx 25, which almost fits the 27 head, is the culprit.
I have a set of metric and standard T handle allen wrenches. They are not a neccessity, but they are handy for getting bolts started before you torque them down and removing them after you break them loose.
Spend the extra $ and get a good set of tools, whatever you choose. You don't have to go with Snap-on, but stay away from Harbor Freight. You get what you pay for - if you're lucky.

·
47,503 and adding
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I was looking for info on the sockets and also I wonder if the ball end allens are of much help? I am going to be replacing my heads soon and want to have everything I need before I start. I've got the dogbone wrenches already.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I got the t27 in a Leslie set that I got at sears. I buy most things at sears. I got a decent size one located near me. Keep an eye out for sales, if you don't need it now.

·
47,503 and adding
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like Craftsman tools as well. I will watch for sales. I'm curious though as to what tools everyone uses most often. I really would like to know what size and type tools to specifically get.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought my allen head and torx sockets at wal-mart, Stanley brand. It had the torx 27 in it. I use them all day on an air ratchet at work and haven't broke one yet. Most of my stuff is Craftsman but their allen/torx sets are kinda pricey. I did my top end last winter and had to buy a special low clearance allen from Dennis Kirk to get the rocker box top covers off.
Also had to get a 1/4 extended ball end allen from Snap-on to get the starter off. And I bought a "inch and 7/8" socket at Auto Zone for ten bucks, cut it in half on a lathe and had a friend of mine weld a piece of pipe between the two halves...you need this to get the clutch basket off, or you can buy one for $75, a local machine shop probaly wouldn't charge much to do that for you.
You will also need a good torque wrench, don't bargain hunt on this, get a good one.
Hope this helps you out.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts