V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

I've been mostly a leech so far. I really enjoy the site and all the information that I have been able to absorb.

I picked up my 2002 black roadking classic on March 27th. 450 trouble free miles so far and having a great time. I do have a couple general questions though.

I had the stage 1 kit done prior to picking it up. I still have the stock mufflers on, waiting on SE slip ons. I'm only getting around 34 miles to the gallon. Mostly around town driving. Does that seem about right?

I personnally don't like the looks of most of the rider backrests for the roadking. I was thinking about getting a sissy bar and pad. I don't seem to find any pictures on the net for what I am going for. Has anybody done this? Any suggestions on who might sell them? Does anybody have any pictures showing this on a roadking?

Lastly, it seems that the handle bar position on the roadking is too far forward and too low. I seem to get a back ache in the middle of my back, even going for relatively short distances. It would seem to me that if the bars were appox. 3 inches up and 3 inches further back, this might eliminate the problem. Does this happen to anybody else? What has anybody done to correct this? Pictures would be great. I was thinking about putting heratige handle bars on. I'm mechanically inclined, but have never wrenched on a bike. How difficult is it to change out the handle bars? What would be involved?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Have a 99 Road King and also found the stock handlebars to be too far forward. I thought they had changed them with the newer bikes, but perhaps not. I changed mine out for the buckhorn style that comes on the Heritage Softail Classic and they seem much more comfortable.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a 98 Road King Police edition, I get between 36 and 43 mpg depending on how hard I twist. It has Supertrapp slip-ons, no baffles, and some minor aircleaner mods.
I didn't like the bars that came with it either, I'm 6'-3" so reach wasn't a problems, they were too narrow all I could see was my shoulders in the mirrors. My local independent found some wide, low bars for $40 that feel great. Beware if too low and wide they will hit tank.
Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I'll just comment on the gas mileage issue, mill. TC-88 mileage can and does vary dramatically. While your mileage is a bit "low", the mileage you are getting is not out of the range for a slightly modified bike for city driving. Not adjusting all parts of the system when you make modifications can and does affect the performance of the overall system. A good rule to remember: if you make a change in one part of your system, compensate for that change in other parts of the system.

Welcome to the H/D Forum. :) You've asked some very good questions.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the quick response.

MustangNM,

Do you have any pictures of the bike with the Heritage bars on the roadking?

Jim,

Thanks. Does that mean that you think the milage will go up when I get the SE slip ons, or did I miss doing something that I need to when the Stage 1 was put on? Do you think the milage will increase with breakin?

Anybody on the roadking sissy bar and pad idea?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Strange as it may sound but when you have all the parts of the Stage I system in sync, your mileage may actually go up. However, your current "city" mileage is not out of the ballpark for a TC-88. Bottom line: we won't know until the change is made.

As for the issue of mileage and the broke-in period, after a bike is broken in you, and you and the bike find your "groove", you can almost count on the mileage becoming more stable. Simple answer, yes, it will probably go up after the break-in. You will no longer need to vary your speed and the bike will just plain work better. Our techie members can explain why. I can only speak from experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Mill,
Glad to see that their are some RKC riders that feel the same way I do! I myself purchased a new 02 RKC in Feb. It is my first harley but I went from a Honda to a Yamaha Roadstar to now a Harley Davidson. I love the bike but I did notice the gas mileage during the break-in period was low. Now I have almost have a 1000 miles and I recently did the Stage one upgrade, and bought from my HD dealer the touring mufflers. One BIG suggestion do not buy the original HD touring pipes. They do not sound any different than the OEM. I bought the Stage one kit, download, pipes and 500 mile checkup. BIG waste of money on the pipes. So, I talked to a service tech at HD and this past Sat. went and bought the SE performance pipes that you can change the endcaps on. I actually installed them myself and I'm not very good on working on motorcycles. The install is very easy, they sound really good and the I went with the billet round endcaps. They make a slash down and slash up one piece exhaust that are cheaper and sound really good too. Now, about the backrest, I purchased the quick release backrest from HD and it looks good except the rest is too far straight up for the passenger. When my girlfriend rides with me she it sitting so straight up that she gets uncomfortable. I talked to HD and I they said that is all that is avalible for the RKC. I'm still trying to find a way to get the sissy bar at a better angle. Finally, yes, the handlebars pretty much suck on the RKC, I have rode sometimes short rides and long rides and my back gets tight from leaning so far over. If you want some pictures check this web site out, www.wild1inc.com I have noticed some Harley owners have the "chubby bars" on their bikes They look good and seem to be good quality, the site is good to compare the difference in the stock bars and the chubby bars. They even have some bars for just Road Kings! I know this is alot of info but I've been reading this site since I got my Harley and it has alot of good things to read about. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Changing the handlebars is not too much of a task. I just replaced my stock RK bars with 2" pullbacks from Flanders of Pasadena CA. Any more than 2" pullbacks and all the cables and the brake line would need to be replaced as per the manufacturer. Took me about 1 hour and a good part of that time was spent adjusting the throttle cable tension so it would return all the way. As to the mileage issue bike has too few miles to get a reasonable reading. The mileage will increase after the engine loosens up.

Black Mack

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Damn Black Mack! I see you are right at the end of the 605 fwy!

I grew up in Whittier. Got another bro, PasedenaJim right down the road from you.

Welcome!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys for the help.

I guess I'll put some more miles on the bike before I worry too much about the mpg. That won't be hard to do. :D

Hogwild,

I have seen the "chubby bars" and I like them. I'm still thinking though that I would also like them up as well as back. I think I will try the Heritage bars first and see how I like them. Do you have any pictures of the Roadking with the sissy bar?

Mack,

When you changed the bars out, did you have any instructions, or did you just dive right in? I don't want to mess up by not knowing exactly how to do it.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey Mill,

If I may make a suggestion, go to the HD Shop and pick up the Service Manual. That will be the best $49 you ever spend. Step by step instructions will make much of this much easier for you and less likely to screw something up.

When you replace the bars, you will be removing the front brake lever. It is important to shim the brake lever so as not to screw up the boot.

All of these things are addressed in the Manual and I stongly suggest you pick one up. You will be glad you did and it more than pays for itself within the first year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ditto on the manual, if you've never changed out bars before.

Jimmy K, have chatted with pasadenjim a bit...We're hoping to do the meet & greet at Laughlin on Friday. Seems kind of odd to ride 275 miles to meet a guy that lives 10 miles away. Not that I need any reason to ride. By the by how long ago did you live in Whittier?

Black Mack

·
Registered
41 Posts
2002 RoadKing Classic

Hi everyone , i went looking for a Bike in 11/01 and was going to buy a Fatboy ,, but after testing a Roadking ,it was all over .. the bike is all Black and with the white walls and extra Chrome ,, it looks """ BAD TO THE BONE""..
after the first thousand miles ,, i put a set of Screamin Eagle mufflers,, //Performance and being able to change the end caps and give the bike a different look and sound is kool.....

after being on the internet for about year,,i think i found a site i will enjoy and learn something....

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Custom Chrome makes some good sissy bars and back rests for RK. That's what we have on ours. The h-d was just too low for wife. The back rest hit her in small of back. With the Custom Chrome, the back rest is just about in middle of back and it leans just a little bit back.

I went with D&D slip-ons. They were cheaper than h-d and I like the sound. Not too loud when leaving for work @ 6:30 a.m. and not too disturbing when cruising on highway. My bike is stock except for the pipes and I'm getting about 40 - 43 MPG. But most of my riding is on the expressway.

As far as handlebars, I plan on putting on some Heritage Softail ones on soon.

Two things I would suggest you upgrade to make ride better:
1. ANOTHER SEAT - The h-d stock seat SUCKS after a few miles. About 80 was limit before my ass would get sore. Wife's limit was about 45. And I can't suggest/recommend the h-d touring seat. I have one and while better than stock, I wish I had chosen something else. I would suggest Mustang or Corbin. Others can give their opinions on these.
2. GRIPS - Don't know about you but with stock, my fingers would tingle like going to sleeo after about 45 miles. Very disturbing. But, hey, with the stock seat, I had reason to stop about every 60 miles. :(

·
EvilMonger
8,792 Posts
How long have your rides been ? If you are only taking ten-twenty mile trips at the moment the bike is in warm up mode, and you usually let the bike idle for a minute before a ride both can use more fuel. After filling the tank ride for 100 miles and then check your mileage, that should be an acurate MPG reading, your bike is still breaking in and your mileage will improve. Hope you find the handlebars and backrest you are looking for, good luck with your road king!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
JohnC Thanx for the instructions. Much more informative than the service manual. I am going to ride for a while first before swapping out just to see what all the pain is about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Mill,
I'm new here, but had the same handlebar problem, too low too far fwd. I solved the problem by adding 4' x 1 1/2 pull back risers. I have an 07 RK and am only 5'4" in addition to the risers I had to get part number 55854-07 street slammer handlebar cover. It solved my reaching problem, I also have the easy reach seat made by harley. After lowering the bike, installing a terry fuel mgmt. package rhinehart true duals and slip on"s with half of the baffle removed I finally have a comfortable good sounding ride, this is my first HD and did all the work my self, if I can do it any one can !!!!!!!!!!

"I said live it, or live with it"

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Hey Crashman, welcome to the VTF forum.

Just wanted to note to you that the post that you replied to was over 4 years old (10-12-2002) so the author may not reply.

Not to worry, lots have made this mistake.... I did too.

thrasher

1 - 19 of 19 Posts