V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to re-do the foam on my stock '06 Deluxe seat.
I like the looks of the stock seat and grab bar but my butt doesn't like the feel of it after about 100 miles.
I am going to remove the leather and trim the existing foam so I sit a little lower and further back and add a layer of gel or memory foam. I have read all the threads and know there are seat customizers out there who will do it but I want to do it myself.

What are your experiences with gel and/or memory foam for comfort?
I googled the stuff and the cheapest I could find the gel was $75 for an 18" square piece from one of the seat places in another thread, I don't remember which one, I looked at so many.

Is there a place that will just sell me a yard of foam? Cheap?

·
Registered
4 Posts
re: foam for seat

I have no idea where you would find a small amount of foam for your seat. I do know that it would not be a good idea for you to try to do it yourself. It takes a lot of training to learn the ins and outs of the trade. Why not look at putting on an Alaskan sheepskin cover or an airhawk cushion air pad? Look up both on web- type in "Alaska sheepskin seat cover" and "Airhawk motorcycle pad". It's a lot cheaper than going to a custom seat designer like Sargent, Russell, etc. Beware of some of the custom Harley seats they sell- they are more for looks than comfort! You need a seat that will let you ride all day if you wish- one of the purposes of having a bike is to go see new places and different states.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been looking at doing the same thing...are you planning on replacing the leather or reusing the existing stuff? I found some foam at my local fabric store, its not memory foam but it seems better than what they give you stock. Also i spoke to an upholstery guy who said that you can use a filet knife or razor to shape the foam.
here is a link to a how-to by paul cox. http://www.bikernet.com/garage/coxseat.asp

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I bought foam from this guy... very reasonable.

http://stores.ebay.com/Memory-Foam-Products

I think you will be happier with applying a thinner memory foam over a more stable stiffer foam. Stay away from gel.

I used the foam from a horse saddle pad he sells on my wife's pillion. It took a lot of patience to do the shaping.

For the main seat... I would trash the piece of crap stock seat and just buy a Corbin. Click my link and then the seat tab for more info on what I did and why.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Butt Buffer

I was at the International Motorcycle show this weekend in Cleveland and saw a guy selling a product called butt buffer. Its not a gel but a polymer. It can be bought as a pad or he'll install it into the original seat.

I think I'm going to get it done to my corbin seat.

Anyone have any experience with butt buffer??

·
Lookin' for '09 FLHRC
84 Posts
meanbean

Do it yourself man.
I did 2 RK Classic seats.
Pulling the staples to get the leather/vinyl off is no problem.
I actually used the stock foam as a "framework" to hold the new stuff.

The first I did with gel. Once the cover was off, I drew on the exsisting foam with a marker, an outline of wear/what I wanted to cut and remove. I "cut out" the seat area (like I had used a cookie cutter) almost all the way to the outside edge. Then split that seat piece thinner and put it back in. Put in some softer foam and the 1/2" layer of gel with some thin foam I picked up the fabric store. This lowered my seat a good inch . Cut the back of the seat area straight down also. This gave me a 2" high lip that works as a mini back support and moved me back an inch.. Had an upholstery shop put about a 10" sewed seam at the base of the back support across the seat. Had them staple it to the pan.($10.)

On the 2nd seat I did the same cookie cut out and removed all the stock foam. I then filled the hole a little over full with memory foam and upholstery foam from the local fabric store. I sat the seat pan on the floor and kept trying different combinations until I found 1 my butt liked. Added another 150 miles to the day over the stock seat. Stapled this one myself. When you staple, it pulls everything nice and tight. No wrinkles at all.

About 2 hours per seat. I cut the foam with a new razor knife and scissors

I have pictures of the 2 seats after they were finished if you like.

18"x18"x1/2" Gel pad came from these guys.
http://www.arthritissupplies.com/site/371928/product/CAC 5300

Memory foam really collapses a lot so you do want something else with it.

I'm gettin' ready to re do a HD "Tallboy" seat. My damn long arms and legs need to stretch.

I guess I'll put the other 2 on Ebay.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Memory Foam

Memory foam is EASY to get. Go down to Wal-Mart, Target or your local bedding store that sells Tempurpedic and buy a memory foam pillow. Trim it to your liking.

I've got a memory foam bed and it has helped me so much it's unbeliveable. I have no doubt it would help you build a better seat.

Wal mart has some generic versions for 20-40 bucks, I bought one of their generic memory foam pillows and have been happy with it. But if you want name brand, get Tempurpedic, they run about $100 for a full sized pillow. Expensive...sure. But what did the other accessories on your bike cost and what did they do for your comfort?

Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Sundowner seat for my RK Classic and I had a dude in St Petursburg refoam it with Tempurpedic memory foam. It cost me $300 but that was for the passenger pad also. I didn't want to spend that kind of money...........no one does, but it turned out to be the BEST investment I have made for my scooter. The dudes name is Dan and his shop is called "A Stitch on Time". Living in Florida with the sun and heat, the gel pads get too hot and aren't what they are cracked up to be.IMHO. Dan also custom builds wheel chairs for the local Veterans Hospital and he used different grades of medical grade tempurpedic foam in critical pressure points of the seat. I couldn't believe the difference. I hae ridden my classic from Tampa to Michigan and back and I averaged 400 to 500 miles a day and my butt could have done more. I can't recommend the foam enough, but make sure it is the medical grade, because there is really quite a difference.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I've been thinking of doing this myself. This is one place I've looked with pretty decent prices.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Butt Buffer

Do a web search for Butt Buffer. Sent my stock Deuce seat out from MD to Ohio to be done. It was gone ten days. All staples were replaced with stainless steel staples. Seat look stock but weighs a little more. I had the passenger seat done as well. Very big difference in the amount of time I can spend in the saddle. Well woth the money.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finished my seat. I removed the cover and used an electric carving knife and a razor knive to carve and re-shape the foam. I cut the foam about 2.5 inches back and an inch lower. I didn't have to buy anything, except staples. I didn't add any ather type of foam, the original foam was very thick. It is now more comfortable than stock but still not the way I want it.
Next time I'm in the city I'm going to sit on and maybe buy a Mustang seat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts