V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently totally insured by Farmers (8yrs) with all my vehicles and house. Out of curiosity I checked out Esurance.com for my 3 trucks and they were 1/2 price for the same coverage. I also checked out Geico for my 2 Harleys and they were almost 1/2 price. I went to Farmers with my 2 Harleys after Diaryland got too expensive.

Can anybody give me their experience with Geico for motorcycles?
Esurance is new to the scene I believe, but just like Eloan.com you can't beat their rates on mortgages ( refiniaced 2 times, and both were easy as pie and saved me lits of money too)

Same deductibles and coverage.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Before Geico the gecko insurance I would check Progressive. I switched to them last year and saved over half with more coverage. Easy to get a quote and easy to maintain your account online.

·
south of heaven
282 Posts
I have my car insurance with Geico and they are great. I got quotes from Geico for my bike and Progressive was about $300 cheaper per year for the same coverages on my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Strange, I just got a quote for my two bikes from Geico and they were $900 a year MORE but they were half the price for my car....Go figure ?

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Rates vary state to state. In New Jersey the best rates I've found for my 2003 is from Aegis Ins Co. As you may or may not know, NJ has the highest rates anywhere in the country. That's state wide of course, some places like NYC or LA city may have higher rates. Geico and progressive are new to NJ and they didn't have anything to show as far as lower rates go. If you are a member of AARP, Foremost (Farmers) has a supposed rate reduction for us Geezers. They were no lower than Aegis. Good luck in your hunt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here in Ohio, State Farm Insurance gave me a great rate on my Bike and a good rate on my truck. I pay about $250 for the year for a 2003 HD Fatboy. I pay about $100 more for my truck insurance through State Farm (I had progressive) but the quote I got from Progressive was close to $700 for the bike. They may be cheaper now, I don't know.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Insurance....

....changes from state to state, but Foremost is very popular down here in Texas, and check out Amica for the car and home. All saving me a bundle over Nationwide/Farmers.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I had Geico for my Lowrider. They weren't too bad. I switched back after a year because they raised the rates for no reason (other then they could), as I didn't have any accidents, always paid on time, and my credit score didn't drop. I switched back to State Farm (had them originally) for the Lowrider, and kept them to present day. They aren't the cheapest, but I feel comfortable with them in the event of an accident (my wife and her family has had the same agent for ever, and she's always taken care of them). I have USAA for my car though (long story about why we have different insurances!)

I looked at Progressive several times, and they have always been double of any other quote I've received. Every time, be it car or motorcycle, they've literally been double USAA, or double any other quotes (and that was with less coverage than I currently carry too!) Never could figure that one out. :hmmm:

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I have Progressive for my scoot. They are the cheapest for me. For my truck, car and house, I have USAA. Every one and every where is different.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Dairyland

I've had Dairyland on my bikes for years with inexpensive full coverage rates 280.00 annual! Then when I seriously customized my FXD, I asked for a rider and they refused stating book value is all they would insure it for. Book was 6500.00 on a 1998 FXD! Even my dealer offered me 10500.00 trade in Cause She is SOOOOO Pretty! anyhoo...

I'm considering just going with liability anda bodily injury rider!

Insurance Companies Suck!! :nfu2:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I changed from progressive to geico, two bikes 96 dyna, and 2000 rk, full coverage on the rk, saved about 300.00

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had Geico on my sport bike, best rate I could find at the time. They were $227 a year cheaper then Progressive. Went back for a quote on the Street Glide again cheaper than any of the larger company's. If you pay monthly with Geico they divide your rate by eight months and let it ride for four.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Had progressive on one truck and two bikes for four years. They were pretty good. As good as an insurance company can be I guess. This past renewal period I checked with a couple different insurance places, and ended up switching to Gieco. Was a total of $600 cheaper per year for everything.

FYI, if your insurance rates go up "for no reason" try contacting your insurance company and ask them why. Progressive did that to me a while ago. I called them up and asked them why and the guy on the phone had no clue but he suggested creating a new policy with the same specs etc. I did and it cut my insurance in half (at the time I only had my truck). Let the origenal policy expire and the new policy took over. I didn't lose my "time served" discount either.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Gotta shop around. The company that gave me the the best deal might not work in your area.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Geico

The best measure of insurance is how they handle a claim.

I had an accident last year on my Ultra.

I got an estimate from my HD Dealer and faxed it to Geico.

They said a nice guy, who knew bikes, to my house.

In 15-20 minutes, he got back in his car, after handing me a check for the damage (less deductible of course - about $1300).

I was impressed.

That was in May 2005.

Upon renewal in October, my rates did not go up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got Progressive

and I agree that it is in the way they handle a claim that you can tell the level of service that your paying for......I did check w/ two other insurance companies including Geico who was about 150 more per year. Anyway...
had a girl rearend me at a red light and fortunately hit the the rear fender and then the tire which absorbed most of the shock....never even went down. Of, course, she had no insurance but I called the cops to make sure she got a ticket for that. The Progressive guy called me that afternoon, met me at a mutually convenient DQ the next day, called my dealer (50 miles away, not the local 5 miles away) and wrote me a check for their estimate and printed it out in the back of his car......pretty cool. The dealer didn't add in the pin stripe and some other stuff and they sent me another check in a week. My rates have not gone up and that was a year & a half ago.

·
Registered
65 Posts
prpbmw said:
The best measure of insurance is how they handle a claim.

I had an accident last year on my Ultra.

I got an estimate from my HD Dealer and faxed it to Geico.

They said a nice guy, who knew bikes, to my house.

In 15-20 minutes, he got back in his car, after handing me a check for the damage (less deductible of course - about $1300).

I was impressed.

That was in May 2005.

Upon renewal in October, my rates did not go up.
Absoutely correct on the first point -- claims are the deciding factor. Have not heard of any problems w/ Progressive on that matter, both from my dealer or from my insurance agent (who sells Progressive among others). So cost is not the only issue -- talk to your dealer and have them tell you what their experience has been. Then decide.

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
$458 per year full coverage, (1000 deductable) with GIECO. I checked Progressive and they were about $530. This is for Fairfax VA which is a heavy metro area, which is usually more, but it's outside of the "beltway".
For a 54Yr old male, with Motor Cycle Saftey Course, 20 years riding experience, no accidents, no nothing.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Its All various on allot different factors
I have Dairyland on 98 Softail and 03 Ultra
$473 both for the year
with Progressive use to pay $1024
My buddy have a composit with State Farm for $190
full coverage for the year

·
Ironsomething
845 Posts
I've had State Farm for the last 20 years and beleived that I had a good rate but was curious about Progressive since I have been bombarded with their junk mail promising cheaper rates. I called their toll free number for a free rate quote and the very nice lady started asking the usual questions such as where I live, age, how many cars/bikes, any under 21 drivers, etc, etc then she asked for my social security #. I told her that I do not give certain info out over the phone such as my SSN and asked why she needed it for a quote to which she replied, "to check your driving record". I said that I would tell her my driving record but she said that sometimes people lie and they needed my SSN. I had to laugh and I said, "to what benefit would it be for me to lie?? Then the quote would not be accurate". She was rather stumped at that and stuttered that it was company policy and could'nt give me a quote without my SSN. Thanks for your time, Bye, bye, I said.
Guess I'll stay with State Farm....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts